Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2008, 11:16   #1

Question From Miami to Mona Passage, Puerto Rico

We are planning to sail from Miami to Puerto Rico, and are asking for some first hand pros and cons.

One route which seems to be the most direct route is via the Great Bahama Bank. The other/s, more picturesque routes is via the Bahamas (Miami, Nassau, Ezuma Sound, Long Island, Mayaguana Island, The Caicos Islands, Puerto Rico).

Any comments on the above alternatives or other suggestions would be greatly received..

Many thanks
rascalarg
rascalarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 11:32   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You may be able to sail east, and then south if you want a straight shot. If you have time do the islands on the way down. Lots of sleep, and things to do. Plus a great social life, or solitude....you choose......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 12:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"Sailing" encompasses both Cruising & Delivering.
Are you looking to make an express delivery, via the quickest, or "most direct" route; or are you desiring toenjoy a pleasure cruise towards your destination?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 13:32   #4
Eternal Member

What kind of boat? What timeframe?

(It matters....a lot, since getting east and south from Miami can be very difficult).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 15:40   #5

I have never sailed nonstop from south Florida to PR or the Virgins and I don’t know anyone who has. I have done it twice via the Bahamas and T&C. IMHO it’s the only way to go. The 'direct' route puts you at sea for something approaching a 1000 miles; much of that time will be close hauled against prevailing winds; and that’s if the weather is good.

We delivered a friend’s Catalina 36 from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas via the Mona passage. Part of the deal was that we could take our time. It took 6 weeks and that was rushing it. My advice is to check into the Bahamas (I would probably skip Nassau - I would not skip Exuma), take your time island hopping south and east, and enjoy yourselves. However, beware of the Bahamas - you might find it hard to leave.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 17:51   #6

Boat: Knysna 480
My first "long haul" was the thorny path east directly into the wind mostly under power and then south to Puerto Rico after passing the Bahamas. The worst part was passing the gulf stream with the wind from the NE at the tail end of a cold front. I took 10 extra 10 gal tanks of diesel and just went, but it was in the interest of time. It took about 2 weeks. If time isn't a factor take the thornless Path. I recommend reading Gentleman's Guide to passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward by Bruce Van Sant. It gives the pros and cons of both approaches. Here is the amazon address:

Amazon.com: Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward, 3rd Ed.: Bruce Van Sant: Books

Either way avoid the Mona Passage if the seas are high.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 20:29   #7

rjrendemd is correct. The only way to do it is the "thornless path"

Buy the book. Read it. Reread it and reread it again. Digest what it has to say.

Amazon.com: Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward, 3rd Ed.: Bruce Van Sant: Books
Old 18-11-2008, 06:16   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I know the thornless path is the fun way to do it. If time is a problem then it will be a tough go going east, but not undoable. I have done Jax Fl to Georgetown, and there is a ton of things to do between Nassau & Georgetown. Time is the important part. How much time do you have?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 13:25   #9

The offshore route requires you to get directly east to nearly 60 degrees west before turning south. This means being close hauled AND having a good engine and lots of diesel. Once you turn south...you canstay under sail. Would not suggest the Mona as a destination if you go that way...maybe San Juan or Fajardo . You want to hit the Mona on a GOOD day and you can't plan that with an offshore passage. If you need to get to Boqueron or someplace on the south shore...go at it in a discrete jump after making landfall in SJ or Fajardo. You'll have the wind at your back and be able to plan for a good weather day trip.
The benefit of offshore is 10-14 days vs. 6 weeks or more on the "thornless path". It took us 3 months that way.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 12:29   #10

Boat: Boatless
From delivery experience I can tell you that the non-stop offshore route is very hard work as is going through the Old Bahama Channel north of Cuba, both are into wind and or current. Best plan is getting there by cruising the Bahamas and the Turks, which is what we plan to do starting January. It is much easier to transit the banks rather than staying in deep water providing you don't draw too much! However, on the banks it is safer to stay on the GPS chart lines...too many coral heads off the lines.

Puerto Del Ray marina in Fajardo PR is a great place and the security is very good. We will be there by Febuary 20th.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 08:07   #11

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Puerto del Rey is one of the biggest marinas in the Caribbean, if not the biggest. Another very nice, and smaller, marina in Fajardo is Marina Puerto Chico. Also with excellent security.
Bill_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 08:59   #12

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Indigo Moon - Offshore Passage to BVI

Read the attached trip log of Indigo Moon. They chose the offshore route and give a great day by day account of the journey.

Tags
miami, Puerto Rico