Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: IS REGULAR TRAVEL FROM FLORIDA TO CARIBBEAN REALISTIC?
OF COURSE- with plenty of time and training it could be a GREAT LIFESTYLE! 33 91.67%
DOABLE, but not ENJOYABLE, not a lifestyle I WOULD RECOMMEND.... 3 8.33%
HELL NO- You are mad, it would be safer to drive through MEXICO to get there! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 00:23   #16

Re: Florida to Belize - REALITY CHECK.....

So FAR No one has voted for options 2 or 3 in the Poll, that said only 2 votes...both encouraging us to GET ER DONE! Are you sure none of you think this is a crazy plan cause I am warning you we are serious! LOL!
belizefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 04:16   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You can make day hops from Belize to Florida with 2-3 over night exceptions.

“Best vessel” is a wide open unanswerable question, what is your budget?

Pirates? Well, considering we’ve spent several months anchored in several section of Belize with no protection other than a miniature schnauzer with a bad attitude, I’d say your making a big deal out of one that doesn’t exist. If an AA-12 is a gun, I’d recommend you leave it at home. Entering Mexico with it will land you in jail.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 05:04   #18

If the purpose is as stated, to visit family as they age, it's not such a great idea.

The problem is that you'll have to visit when you have to visit. The timing probably won't be optional, and you won't have time to take the slow boat from Belize.

Also, maintaining a boat to do that kind of journey will inevitably cost a lot more than traveling via most forms of transport.

Anyway, something else (non-cruise-related) to consider.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 07:25   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Check the rules and regulations as well.

A foreign flagged vessel can only be in Belize for a MAXIMUM of 90 days (in practice it is more like 86 days) before the vessel has to leave the country unless you import it or temporarily import it. It is a ridiculous Belizean customs rule that also applies to cars and planes

We come and go from Belize to Guatemala to get round this
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:22   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Totally doable. Hundreds make the trip each year. Since it appears you do not have ocean experience you could either charter in Belize, Caribbean or Florida and get the feeling for it. I don't think you need to charter from Florida to Belize or vice versa. You will be spending most of your time at anchor so knowing what boat type will fit the needs of the nine of you may be the most important learning lesson. The ocean can be uncomfortable, but a 600 mile (1200 mile round trip) every year or two isn't a big deal even if some of you don't like the ocean passage. Walk the docks and talk to those who have family living aboard. There are pirates everywhere. Just fewer on the ocean than in big cities.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:38   #21

What you are saying is certainly doable, but one consideration you will need to make is the fact that for a boat to be in pristine conditions and ready for such a passage, she will have to be used with some regularity, not just when it comes the time for the "commute". Otherwise, you'll spend your passage fighting with issues. That is also part of the point of owning a boat, using her reasonably often. That includes regular maintenance and regular visits to the boat to "work on projects". It is not just a matter of amortizing cost of ownership through regular use, boats get finicky if they are neglected.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:14   #22

I live in Cayo BZ and ran a 35 power boat from FL to BZ now keep at Old Bz Marina.
Get a boat and get used to it in BZ waters then decide what makes sense.
Redconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:58   #23

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

I'm guessing you'd probably rather go with sail than power since the "straight shot" approach from FL to BZ wouldn't be feasible with most power vessels other than some large tankage trawlers and not at a quick speed either. There are lots of ocean going boats that can do it in stages, like the one below (yes, it's mine) . . . . but, if you're sincere on doing it in a sail boat, go with a catamaran so you can at least enjoy the trip plus you have a place to stay once you get there (if need be . . ).

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:31   #24

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

First,,,, IMHO your kids are blessed to have such cool parents, wow seven kids,, my hat is off to you guys. The trip is very doable, depending on the weather. I would suggest a sailboat as who knows the price of fuel in the future.

I have a mono hull, but you might be better with a cat , with all the kids. I made the trip once in a C&C 27 sailboat., little bumpy in the Yucatan, but not bad at all.

Just get to Isla Mujares, pick your weather go to Dry Tortuges, or if nice keep going to Key West, or West coast of Fl. With weather forecasting so much better then in the past, you could do it a Panga, just do not make the mistake myself and many others have made and try to keep to a schedule.

Wait for the right weather window, the trip to Florida will prepare you for the trip back.

Good Luck

Pop's,,, Tayana 37 Pilot House,,,, Sarasota Fl.
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:56   #25

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

a larger sailboat for your big family, unless it is a cat, will draw too much to use inshore at Bz. the run is not super difficult but with stops in Muhares and Cuba will still take 10 days or more, weather permitting. you will need several overnights so not a good idea for single handing. where would you plan to live aboard in Bz? Few marinas available.
IMHO fly, if necessary load up on meds to sleep through. BZ to Mia or Tampa is a fairly short flight.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:22   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Here is your answer, charter a boat with Captain and experience it. Then you’ll know.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:41   #27

Boat: Irwin, custom Sloop, 45

Hi,
My wife and are long time live aboard cruisers, including sailing the western Caribbean region for three years. We have numbers of sailing friends with big families who have circumnavigated the globe, so what you have in mind is clearly not off the charts. Given your aspirations and the relatively shallow waters in Belize, although we are monohull sailors, I think you are better suited to a catamaran. It will carry more people, has a shallower draft, is a relatively expedient vessel, doesn’t heel (like a monohull), and would be a fun vessel in/around Belize throughout the year. I suggest that on a next trip to Florida that you charter a significantly sized catamaran with a captain, for a week, with as many of your family as accompany you, and give it a whirl. It’ll be sailing in waters that encompass part of your Belize-Florida route, will get you out on the pond for a reasonable time - nominally equivalent to a Beize-Florida passage (assuming no enroute weather delays), and afford you the flavor of the reality of at sea passage making. The Belize-Florida route can be a cakewalk...but it can also be a very uncomfortable attention-grabbing experience. Go for it! Ciao
NirvanaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:48   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If your only plans are 1 or 2 trips to FL/year then a boat is a lot of expense and hassle for that. You can book passage on the freighters that call in Belize much more cost effectively and thats a form of adventure too.

There are no issues with "piracy" on this route. There have been a couple of ugly attacks in Belize over a period of many years. See CSSN for details. There are issues off Honduras/Nicaragua and sometimes the Rio Dulce.

A boat is not an "investment"...its a bottomless money pit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:19   #29

AA-12 is a military shotgun and I don't think it's a good idea if you will be stopping in Mexico or Cuba.
If you are thinking power boats, some longer range trawlers can make long passages if you keep the speed down.
A catamaran sailboat will usually have a shallower draft than a comparable mono. I think the bar at Rio Dulce is problematic for more than a 6 foot draft. It's not impossible, but it takes more work to get over it.
Definitely pay attention to weather and not schedules. My uncle lost his boat and spent 3 days on an island trying to keep a schedule. But that was crossing to the Bahamas.
Old 14-05-2019, 19:27   #30

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If you husband has spinal issues, he may find that offshore sailing is very painful! Boats, whether sail or power can lurch violently from time to time and in all but the easiest of seas will have a motion that could cause significant pain or additional injury. Definitely charter a captained boat for some offshore sailing in less than perfect conditions before committing to buying a boat. I appreciate his "toughness", but back pain can be debilitating, as you no doubt know.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, Caribbean, florida, pirates