Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 12:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Florida Keys in the Summer?

Ahhhh. Summer!

In Key West today it is 86 degrees. (August average is 90degrees) Too hot?

In San Francisco it is 62 degrees.

Too cold?

How about Alaska? Here is a noteworthy news item:

Deadhorse, Alaska, Sets State Record High For Any Arctic Ocean Location
Jul 14, 2016, 11:00 PM

An Alaska North Slope town just shattered an all-time record high not just at that location, but also anywhere near the state's Arctic coast, the latest superlative in a record-smashing warm year-to-date.

Deadhorse, Alaska, a community of mainly oil workers about 500 miles north of Fairbanks, soared to a high of 85 degrees Wednesday, July 13.

This was not only an all-time record high in Deadhorse, dating to 1968, topping a high of 83 degrees from June 21, 1991. More impressive, however, is was also the hottest temperature on record anywhere in the state within 50 miles of the Arctic Ocean, according to Alaska-based climatologist, Dr. Brian Brettschneider.

Deadhorse is a mere 6 miles from the Arctic coast at Prudhoe Bay and about 250 miles north of the Arctic Circle.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 05:24   #17

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

This past Fri-Mon daytime highs were over 90 and the humidity was oppressive. But the winds were 15-20 on Biscayne Bay and south to Marathon. Water temps were in the low 90's. The water was generally clear and we saw few jellyfish.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 05:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That water temp this early in the year has me worried, but I am a worrier.
The whole Gulf is Hot.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 06:04   #19

Lobster season starts August 6th and it will be busier than usual with lots of crazies.
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:27   #20

Boat: Cornado 25

Quote:
Lobster season starts August 6th and it will be busier than usual with lots of crazies.
Mini-Season (Recreational) is for 2 days only complete with crazies and poachers. This year is July 27-28. Regular commercial season Aug 6 thru March 31. Watch for pots both ocean and gulf sides. Weather is typical today for this time of year 88f at 1023 local (Boot Key) 15mph from ESE 91f forecast high. Same yesterday, same tomorrow. Usually a couple squalls in the afternoon but only 10 min or so. Come on in, the water's fine. With the exception of the Mini-season dates, much less crowded (boats and highways) with lower rates than winter.
Old 20-07-2016, 18:05   #21

Boat: O'Day 302

Thanks for all the info so far. Ya, it's gonna be hot. I can deal with that if a breeze and good conditions for other recreation (viz, etc..)

On another note - what's the etiquette on generator usage in boot key harbor? Thinking about running a window shaker in the evenings with a Honda eu2000, but I don't want to be "that boat."

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 19:28   #22

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. Ya, it's gonna be hot. I can deal with that if a breeze and good conditions for other recreation (viz, etc..)

On another note - what's the etiquette on generator usage in boot key harbor? Thinking about running a window shaker in the evenings with a Honda eu2000, but I don't want to be "that boat."

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Running a Honda 2000 all night in boot key harbor would be pretty rude, especially on a still windless night when sound carries across the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:00   #23

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Dave852;2171021]Running a Honda 2000 all night in boot key harbor would be pretty rude, especially on a still windless night when sound carries across the water.

That's goes for anywhere else too. If you are going to run the stupid thing , do it sometime in the afternoon when people might be away. How can someone intrude so?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:08   #24

Boat: Leopard L38

I would not worry to much about it. If someone says something... Not a big deal.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:43   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Two years ago I spent August and September cruising in the Keys. I anchored out and always had a breeze so the temperature/humidity was not an issue; but all my cruising was West of Key West. Have also spent August in BKH. The condos block a lot of the breeze and it seems much hotter. Diving is normally better in the summer because no fronts disturb the water.

The contract you sign to get a ball, or dinghy dock access, with the city marina is about seven pages long and prohibits excessive noise after 11:00 PM, or 9:00 PM. But the employees quit at 5:45PM sharp so there is really no enforcement. In fact nothing is really enforced when the office is closed. You may get complaints from fellow boaters depending on where your boat is. BKH is bigger than lots of folks realize and in the summer only about 1/3 of the balls are taken so you should be able to get away from the crowd and run the AC if you need it.

As long as you check CH2 first thing in the morning for hurricane news not much else should worry you.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 21:17   #26

Boat: O'Day 302

The generator topic is divisive I see.

I respect peace and quiet as much if not more than others, and I'm very aware of my impacts on people around me... Hence the question.

BKH has a pretty full time crew, so finding out the standards for the area is a reasonable inquiry.

The Honda, if even needed, is very quiet and not even capable of running more than a handful of hours.

A 10 or 11pm quiet time makes sense and should be respected.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 03:12   #27

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Keys are great that time of year, go after August 12when all the first week warriors for the opening of lobster season have left and it isn't as bad.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 05:31   #28

Boat: Cornado 25

Re: Gen Set...
"Quiet Hours" are from 10PM till sunrise in Boot Key Harbor. Complaints about noise will get attention from the harbor master if needed... Usually the offending boat is outed on the morning cruisers net first. Simple rules... Keep your dinghy wakes down, long painters at the dock, pick up after your dogs, play nice.
Old 21-07-2016, 06:17   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I worried about my generator when I was at Garrison Bight mooring field in KY and took a ball out at the edge of the field as far away as I could get from everybody else, Northwest end of the field so a South or East wind put my stern away from the field, exhaust is out the stern. Also it seemed that the boats out on the edge of the field, furthest away from the dinghy dock were stored boats, with no one aboard. It's a Diesel built in and not very loud, but on a still night any noise carries.
Then I listened one night and could hear at least two Honda's running in the field maybe more, I think it's the Lowe's lawnmower engine powered generators that are particularly offensive.
I think if you recognize you have an obnoxious thing and act accordingly, you'll be OK.
when I had a Honda I found that putting it in the dinghy made it a lot quieter, I guess the big air tubes muffled the sound, or maybe being closer to the water?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 05:16   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

It was 100 degrees in the mooring field this weekend and the wind was blowing 15-20 making a good blast furnace. I couldn't anyone's generators over the freaking banging halyards!

Tags
florida, florida keys