Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 10:11   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Florida Keys

We've enjoyed our land-based vacations in the Keys and so I was planning a hypothetical future cruising trip there.

It appears to me to be an unusually difficult area. Protected yet accessible anchorages are few and mostly inside, deep channels with mast clearance from the ICW out are few and far between, dive destinations are far from anyplace I'd want to spend the night. No wonder people stay in the marinas.

Having dived in that area I would not believe it prudent to dive any of the major sites on the continental shelf from a dinghy.

Has anyone had a fun trip to this area that included some diving? How did you do it?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:08   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Florida Keys

My thoughts have also drifted to the Keys, looking forward to what others have to say about sailing and diving there.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The keys are a bit difficult especially if you have a draft over 4 feet. Fortunately we do not. I have found the northern keys to be much more friendly to sailing and diving than the southern keys. I have used Pennekamp park, Rodriquez Key, and Pumpkin key as anchorages for diving. I have also used Cowpens anchorage and the back side of Upper Matecumbe key, accessing the reefs through Snake Creek, though it's a bit of a pain because of the opening schedule of the bridge. The anchorage at Pumpkin key is my favorite as there are many reefs to access both in Pennecamp and Biscayne National park, mostly because the cattle boats don't go up there and the reefs are in better shape. We were there last summer and I have to warn you that most of the large corals are dead due to a new disease that is attacking the brain and star corals. Friends who were diving in the southern keys also reported similar problems in the southern keys. Rodriquez offers a decent nights sleep in fairly settled weather and has the advantage of being on the outside and a bit less of a hike to the reefs. In that area you will have to contend with the cattle boats out of Key largo and even worse, the snorkeling boats out of Pennecamp.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04   #4

I am down here now crusing around and have been for the last two months. As others have said the comfortable anchorages are usually 4-7+ miles from the reefs. All of the diving is Atlantic side and is doable with a 5 foot draft. We have 3.5' with the keel up and have never seen less than 1.5 under us even Bayside. We found the gulf side to be much more comfortable and more populated with bars and restaurants for the most part. We planned out outings and jumped outside in the morning, snorkeling as early as possible and returning well before sunset even at 5kn. Some of the moorings at the reefs are downright uncomfortable in anything more than 2-3 foot seas so you have to plan your trips accordingly.

The sailing has been great for us and we have burned less than 15 gallons in the time that we have been out, and we aren't afraid to motor. The cuts in Florida bay are wide and for the most part sailable, however there are many small fishing boats causing wakes and cutting too close for my comfort all day. The bay is also entirely overcrowded with crab pots. As of today I have only picked up one in the prop and I blame myself and the lack of coffee at sun up.
ZacharyWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Has anyone had a fun trip to this area that included some diving? How did you do it?
I did many snorkeling trips to the reefs from the Keys in an 11 foot inflatable with two children about 10-12 y. o. How did we do it? Drive from Miami to Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada or Little Torch Key, pump up the inflatable, attach the motor, load the geer, splash the boat, and head for the reefs. It was great. The hard part was the weight of the boat and motor at 100 pounds each, but I was yonger then and had the help. Probably would need a lighter setup now.

Also visited the reefs with a sailboat, which is easier and much more comfortable then with a dinghy. Abandunt places to anchor. Dry Tortugas is the best destination in the area.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:30   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I think you summarized the points. It's generally a fair distance between protected anchorages, and a fair distance from the protected anchorages to the best diving. Controlling depths are usually around 5'-6', and heights around 60', at best. Nonetheless, I've never given it a second thought! The best bet (IMO) is in the upper Keys, around Marathon to the area of Angelfish Creek. The middle and lower Keys have a greater distance to good diving depths. In the upper Keys, your best anchorages (with decent draft clearance) are in Card Sound (via Angelfish Ck), behind Rodriguez Key, or in Florida Bay (accessed via Channel 5 west of Matecumbe). Personally, I've never had great success with Rodriguez Key and I don't think I will ever try it again. But overall, as I said, I think you have picked out the salient considerations already.

Two options I could suggest:

1) stay at one of the marinas at Port Largo for instance, Marina del Ray (I have no affiliation, FYI). Yes it is pricey! But if you have kids it might be worth it, since your dockage includes not only water and electric, but access to the pools, towel service, and showers. There are restaurants and laundry on the spot;

2) go to Bimini instead. You do need that perfect weather window, but it solves most of the other problems.

When I was sailing down that way (which was many, many times, and it seems like many, many lifetimes ago...), based in Miami, my plan was always to go to Bimini; 90% of the time, conditions were not right (for crossing under sail, anyway), so then I would go to the Keys. And never regretted a single trip! Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, florida keys