Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 15:17   #16

Boat: Pearson 385
Re: Florida East of Pensacola Navarre Causeway Height Clearance

This is Katie, Bill's other half. Just thought I'd let you know we're here in Sabine marina's bar if u want to join us.
Old 31-01-2015, 15:23   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Coming over now!
Erika
Old 04-02-2015, 19:29   #18

Update.
Vessel did make it under the bridge. They got in touch with Legendary Marina right next to Brooks bridge. The Marina staff was very helpful. We had a strong northern blow yesterday so they took off at 5 am to hit the brooks bridge at low tide( figuratively speaking). Water was very very low. There is a gauge on the brooks bridge, it is pretty narley but it was guessed at 49. Their air draft is 48.5-49.0(with accoutrements) . They made it under brooks just fine. We left port at a more civilized 9:39 am and when we got to Brooks it read 49 +. Our air draft is not a problem at 47 ( with all the lights and antennas) That water was crazy low yesterday we ran around in the channel a couple times, no big deal.
So thanks for all the input.

Here is a pick of the Navarre Bridge. I was unable to get a pic of the brooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	96632  
Old 04-02-2015, 19:31   #19

Close but fine, didn't even ruffle my baggywrinkles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	96633  
Old 04-02-2015, 20:08   #20

How odd...the water was very low AND very high around full moon. WOW! Who woulda thunk?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:09   #21

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Glad you arrived on this side with everything intact on the masthead. I sailed around here for years with a 49' mast (actual measured to the WL). Brooks and Navarre worked on the VHF whip pretty good but the mast would not clear Destin. I had a fractional rig and mounted the wind instrument on the front of the mast. There is actually at least a foot more clearance two spans to the south of the center at Navarre of you snuggle up against the northern support. Center clearances, my best estimate is Navarre is at least 6 to 12" lower than Brooks assuming that you miss the Nav lights. Winter wind driven low tides just provide some extra insurance over normal range which are just north of a foot. I think the gauges are to the lights which are a little lower than the bridge and easily missed.

If you are continuing on east in the ICW then DuPont bridge is 50 ft plus whatever the tide adds or subtracts depending on your point of view. The run outside to St Joe Bay is nice just keep an ear on the Tyndall drone launch sked on the VHF.

Frank
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 23:28   #22

Stu, when it started raining, hard, I saw the levels go up.i talked to them about being unsure this might work. But once we got the local involved they were very straightforward on when to go and when not to go.
Frank I think we are jumping over to Tampa from Panama City. Those drones are everywhere, screwing with my Gps!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:51   #23

Straight across to Tampa works, but you will miss one of the unique parts of the Florida Panhandle if you skip the run down to Apalachicola. Take the Gulf Industrial Canal (5 miles) out of St. Joe Bay to hit the ICW. You can anchor on the east side of the river across from town just above the bridge and enjoy some great seafood. Scipio Creek Marina if you want to step onto land. Government Cut can be a little iffy on the inside of the bay but go on down to East Pass next to Dog island and jump off from there.

Good luck, just have to time the fronts this time of year.

Frank
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Update.
Vessel did make it under the bridge. They got in touch with Legendary Marina right next to Brooks bridge. The Marina staff was very helpful. We had a strong northern blow yesterday so they took off at 5 am to hit the brooks bridge at low tide( figuratively speaking). Water was very very low. There is a gauge on the brooks bridge, it is pretty narley but it was guessed at 49. Their air draft is 48.5-49.0(with accoutrements) . They made it under brooks just fine. We left port at a more civilized 9:39 am and when we got to Brooks it read 49 +. Our air draft is not a problem at 47 ( with all the lights and antennas) That water was crazy low yesterday we ran around in the channel a couple times, no big deal.
So thanks for all the input.

Here is a pick of the Navarre Bridge. I was unable to get a pic of the brooks.
Glad you both made it. You were somewhat lucky, as the water was lower than usual, as happens during certain times during the winter. Very wind direction/weather dependent.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 17:31   #25

Frankly, we decided to go all the way to apalachicola :-). We are in Panama City playing around shell island. Will leave Saturday ( I need a good rest).
Very interesting about the increased air clearance Navarre, wish someone would put that in active captain!
I haven't studied the charts in a couple weeks but I'm pretty sure I had us going out around Dog Island. We also decided to hit Tarpon Springs. Apparently it is a must see and the shorter hop will be good for me.
Thanks for all the great input. I agree about this area, the further west we go the lovelier the scenery.
Erika
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02   #26

Boat: Pearson 385

We might catch up to you if you wait til Saturday ... We're leaving here tomorrow for Destin .. staying there a couple of days til the next window (maybe Friday?) Then we'll move to Panama city

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2015, 11:18   #27

If you want to get out of this wind then Redfish Point (across from City Marina) and Smack Bayou can give some protection. Pearl Bayou just above DuPont Bridge also good protection.

Eagle Harbor in any but stiff East Wind in St. Joe Bay and St. Joe Marina.

Tarpon Springs one of our favorite stops. We usually go in on the south side of Anclote Key (two markers get you across the bar and into the ICW. Turn back north and follow the buoys up the river. Marina is right in town and not too expensive. All that Greek food can work on your waist line.

Go back and look at your picture of the Navarre Bridge and you will see what I mean by the increased clearance to the south of the middle.

The Keys will still be there when you get there just "smell the roses along the way."

Pass A Grill, Longboat Key (current and bridge), Venice, Boca Grande all pretty reliable passes. West Coast GICW on the weekends is Hell.

Frank
Old 10-02-2015, 14:24   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I "bumped" bottom twice with 5' draft trying to go out south of Anclote, North and there was plenty of water.
A good route is to go to Dog and spend the night then cross to Tarpon springs, but going direct to from PC isn't bad either.
Appalach is a much nicer town than Carrabelle if you want to go into town, but PC is the place to re-provision etc. City busses leave and depart right from the Marina.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, pensacola