Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 13:21   #1

First charter to the BVI"s

The misses and I are planning our first bareboat charter in September. While I know this is not the optimal month to go we are taking a "test run" as we are taking some friends back in November. My question is this: How are the nighttime temps as far as chartering a boat without a generator and air? We are looking at a boat in the 35-40 ft range for this trip, and nothing in this size offers either. Most have shore power air but nothing else. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
IslandDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 14:33   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDreamer
The misses and I are planning our first bareboat charter in September. While I know this is not the optimal month to go we are taking a "test run" as we are taking some friends back in November. My question is this: How are the nighttime temps as far as chartering a boat without a generator and air? We are looking at a boat in the 35-40 ft range for this trip, and nothing in this size offers either. Most have shore power air but nothing else. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
The Moorings 3900 has AC and generator.
BVI Capn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 15:03   #3

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: First charter to the BVI"s

The average high in the BVI in Sept. is 88 degrees F and the low is 76. If you are out on a mooring there will be plenty of breeze for you to be comfortable without AC. I was there in Nov and it was delightful. Slept comfortably with just a sheet. Just make sure your boat has a good bimini, you'll need the shade. Just dive in when you need to cool down. As an added advantage, it won't be as crowded in Sept or Nov and you should have no problem finding open mooring balls. Keep an ice chest stocked with ice and plenty of Carib and enjoy yourself.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 15:04   #4

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

In a marina it may be hot, but anchored, you have trades.
The big bareboat cats all run AC all night, I hate those noisy pigs.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:10   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
We are currently sailing around the BVI's and have been for the past two months having come up from SA through the Caribbean islands. We have met a number of charter boat operators up here. A very good boat is a Leopard 46 called Eyesea operated by Gareth and Jenna Donaldson who operate for moorings. They provide an exceptional service to their guests and are usually pretty booked by returning guests and run aircon 24/7 ... Something we do not do on our boat but we are live aboard cruisers doing the world circuit and I decided to try acclimatize along the way.
Generally we are at anchor and there is always a steady breeze to keep the boat cool. Had 30*C heat today but it felt cool due to good winds.
Being tied up in a marina will mean you definitely must run the zircon. Hope this helps!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:15   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith
In a marina it may be hot, but anchored, you have trades.
The big bareboat cats all run AC all night, I hate those noisy pigs.
If you can't beat them ... Join them we don't mind at all but I must say as someone who struggles with heat that I have acclimatized well and no longer have a need for generators running AC at all ... Never believed friends who told me I would acclimatize, but hey ... Totally have
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 00:03   #7

Thanks to all for the helpful information.
IslandDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 03:47   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Consider buying trip insurance. September 10th is the historical peak of the Atlantic hurricane season.

Old 15-07-2012, 06:21   #9

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We have chartered in the BVI in September, anchored out the whole time, and it was unbelievably hot. I mean, so hot that we couldn't sleep. I'm not kidding! Hot, sticky, sweaty. Sometimes it would rain at night and we'd have to close the hatches. Then it was beyond unbearable.

We've chartere in October and it was the same way... the charters in November, December, February and April were much more comfortable.

We had a fantastic time on the September/October charters, appreciated the fact it was much cheaper and the anchorages were all available with no crowds, and we loved every minute of our vacations, so go anyway.

But just be aware if you don't have a/c you'll roast, even stark naked in the cockpit.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 06:25   #10

OP is from Arkansas, so his standards might be a little warmer than most. Think of camping in high summer in Ark, it's about the same, I'd say.

My experience with chartering: bring more money and fewer clothes etc.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:47   #11

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
We have chartered in the BVI in September, anchored out the whole time, and it was unbelievably hot. I mean, so hot that we couldn't sleep. I'm not kidding! Hot, sticky, sweaty. Sometimes it would rain at night and we'd have to close the hatches. Then it was beyond unbearable.

We've chartere in October and it was the same way... the charters in November, December, February and April were much more comfortable.

We had a fantastic time on the September/October charters, appreciated the fact it was much cheaper and the anchorages were all available with no crowds, and we loved every minute of our vacations, so go anyway.

But just be aware if you don't have a/c you'll roast, even stark naked in the cockpit.
Yer supposed to be starkers in the cockpit DURING the rain. You will go back in with goosebumps.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote