Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 17:31   #136

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Extortion in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As I have posted before and it is not confirmed by Three Sheets this bozo who wears a BASRA shirt seems to be getting inside information from someone and it looks like that someone is connected to customs. I am inclined to believe Three Sheets about him trying to intimidate them especially about the part of him being the only one who could tow them.

Lets also remember Three Sheets finally did get a tow job from the marina they were staying in and I will bet it cost a lot less than what the BASRA shirt wanted to charge them.

It is all too easy to say the folks on Three Sheets are inexperienced and did not prepare well enough for their trip. But the bottom line is at least one person who wears a BASRA shirt is giving the Bahamas a bad name and he may well have someone working with him who can get inside information from the Customs office. This is the real issue that needs to be addressed.

I read the whole thing.

This is what the deal is.

Plus;

Quote:
I concede it may have had nothing to do with customs. In a previous post I did state it was the "appearance of" collaboration with the extortionist that bothered me. No, I can't outright claim it was customs and immigrations, nor did I. But there were way too many coincidences, including the extortionist showing up at the Department of Immigrations just as we left the next day.
As usual lots of folks forget to read some words that mean a lot.

Like when they take a test and forget to read the words "all, some, except etc)

Best of luck Three Sheets.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:58   #137

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Reply from BASRA;

The rest of the story.....

[QUOTE]Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have read all the posts and many are not even worthy of comment. I think many persons are confusing Mr. Nick Wardle and SEARCH with BASRA. BASRA does not send out literature soliciting donations but only once a year sends out membership renewal notices so that persons can update contact and vessel information.
From our experience, persons who bad mouth BASRA have expected free non distress tows and been declined.

As for the issue at hand….

BASRA’s role in this is nonexistent.

We sell shirts to anybody and whilst we are familiar with Capt. Ian Gilbert and ABC Yacht Services BASRA is a Volunteer Lifesaving Organization and not a commercial towing operation.
Capt. Gilbert is a member of BASRA, a Volunteer Captain and also a Director. He runs ABC Yacht services which provides commercial towing , salvage and vessel maintenance. We see no conflict of interest as BASRA, like the USCG, got out of non distress towing. It would be unfortunate if Capt. Gilbert represented himself in any way as BASRA (other than just wearing a shirt) and this will be investigated further and dealt with if necessary.

The whole Harbour was abuzz when this happened and it is my understanding that the US Towboat cleared with Harbour Control but had no intention of clearing Customs and Immigration, ‘collecting a boat and returning to the US”, until pressed by Harbour Control. In the past, when there was no Commercial Towing service available locally, BASRA has assisted various US towing companies by pulling boats out to the “Pilots Station” approximately 3 miles out of the western harbor entrance. Sea Tow recently sent us a cheque for $800 for assisting with the Sea Ray that was stolen in Abaco by the Barefoot Bandit but ended up in Nassau Hbr. This equates to, $133.00 per mile R/T!!! We always recommend staying at least 3 miles out so as to not upset anybody locally. All the crew on board the US Tow Boat would have needed work permits that need to be applied for, PRIOR to coming to the Bahamas. As for the US Embassy, someone said it correctly that they would “get you a lawyer” when you get locked up for working illegally. It is unfortunate that Three Sheets did not contact BASRA, as we are here to help Cruisers and are a wealth of knowledge, if I do say so myself!

BASRA is aware that over the years (I have been running BASRA for 20 years) tow boats have come into the Bahamas and taken jobs and for the most part a blind eye was turned because if there was no one locally, insured and capable, then it needed to be done. Customs and Immigration are becoming more aware of the number of “cruisers” and “sports fishermen” that are operating charters and such without permits and everybody is on their toes, so to speak.

I hope this helps and we really appreciate your bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards,

Chris Lloyd
Operations Manager, BASRA

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 3:27 PM
To: @batelnet.bs
Cc: @basra.org
Subject: Re: BASRA discussion on Cruisers Forum.

Sent on the 29th, resenting today.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:25, Xxx. Xcccc<sxxxx @icloud.com> wrote:

Good day,

I am a Sailor who has enjoyed cruising in the Bahamas for many years. I appreciate BASRA, and have made donations in the past.

Sadly, it seems a man tried to charge a large sum for a tow of a vessel in Nassau recently. He apparently represented himself as being affiliated with BASRA. There has been a lengthy discussion of the incident on a discussion forum used by over 10,000 Sailors from around the world.

I hate to see BASRA falsely implicated in this, and wonder if someone representing BASRA might be able to share a comment to clarify the organization's role in this.

The thread is here; http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...au-100851.html You will need to register to post, but if you would prefer just reply to this email and I will gladly share it in the thread.

Thank you, and thank you for your service to us all.

Xxxxx xxxxx
S/V Faith

Sent from my iPad
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:29   #138

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I did read it all. If the insurer wanted you in the States let them arrange the tow. And, as stated by another poster earlier, what if you had been in Bermuda?
It happened here in Bermuda. I worked at preparing a very large Bruce King boat that suffered a major engine fire, for tow. A large displacement-type hull came in here, cleared Customs,and left with the tow back to the East coast. Bit of difference between Nassau and Bermuda.
Old 02-04-2013, 16:44   #139

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

[QUOTE=s/v 'Faith';1201085]Reply from BASRA;

Quote:
SNIP
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
As for the issue at hand….

BASRA’s role in this is nonexistent.

We sell shirts to anybody and whilst we are familiar with Capt. Ian Gilbert and ABC Yacht Services BASRA is a Volunteer Lifesaving Organization and not a commercial towing operation.
Capt. Gilbert is a member of BASRA, a Volunteer Captain and also a Director. He runs ABC Yacht services which provides commercial towing , salvage and vessel maintenance. We see no conflict of interest as BASRA, like the USCG, got out of non distress towing. It would be unfortunate if Capt. Gilbert represented himself in any way as BASRA (other than just wearing a shirt) and this will be investigated further and dealt with if necessary.

SNIP
I snipped out the part about possible past practices of turning a blind eye to no work permits for US tow guys now being tightened up because I have no objection to doing that, also agree with other parts I snipped out.

I would not be surprised if there are employees of US Tow or other towing services who are members of Aux CG, but I will bet a nickle that no US Tow employees wears any clothing with CG logos while on the job or soliciting business. I am quite sure if the USCG found out anyone was wearing USCG clothing while soliciting/conducting private business the spaghetti would hit the fan.

Let me repeat I have no objection to the Bahamas moving toward a stricter enforcement of their laws. But I do think BASRA needs to make it clear to its volunteers that wearing items with the BASRA logo carries the responsibility of not diminishing the brand. It certainly seems like this is what Ian Gilbert did.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:51   #140

Nothing here rose to the level of "extortion".
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:25   #141

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Reply from BASRA;

I snipped out the part about possible past practices of turning a blind eye to no work permits for US tow guys now being tightened up because I have no objection to doing that, also agree with other parts I snipped out.

I would not be surprised if there are employees of US Tow or other towing services who are members of Aux CG, but I will bet a nickle that no US Tow employees wears any clothing with CG logos while on the job or soliciting business. I am quite sure if the USCG found out anyone was wearing USCG clothing while soliciting/conducting private business the spaghetti would hit the fan.

Let me repeat I have no objection to the Bahamas moving toward a stricter enforcement of their laws. But I do think BASRA needs to make it clear to its volunteers that wearing items with the BASRA logo carries the responsibility of not diminishing the brand. It certainly seems like this is what Ian Gilbert did.

YMMV
Before you lecture BASRA on how they should operate, maybe you should learn a little about what they are. You imply above they are someway equvalent to USCG or the USCG Auxillary. The Bahamas doesn't have a CG. They do have a Bahamas Defense Force. BASRA is not part of it. They are a volunteer organization that assists boaters in trouble.
You too could wear a BASRA T-Shirt --- for a small donation.
Old 02-04-2013, 17:42   #142

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

FWIW,

I also got a reply forwarded from Captain Gilbert. I have emailed him to clarify if his reply was intended for the board, or for me personally.

Will post as soon as I receive word back.

Fair winds to all,
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:35   #143
ABC

Re: Extortion in Nassau Reply From ABC Yacht Services

There is a lot of dialog here regarding this apparent situation. We at ABC Yacht Services have not been able to give a response to the one sided allegations of 3 sheets.
First of all we were sent to them by their towing company to assist in their difficulties. All information received by us came from that towing company, how else would we know how or where to contact them. In addition their insurance company contacted us as the local go to company to assist them.
It was the US towing company contracted to tow them who dropped the ball on their behalf. Its amazing how so many people want to shoot the messenger trying to save the day. Allegations of corruption, conspiracy and extortion in a third world country makes interesting reading but reality begs to differ.
This is a sensitive matter for those responding but facts take president. We simply made our services available to those involved. We are licensed and insured in the Bahamas but it seems according to the principals involved that illegal operations and total disrespect for the law of a foreign country and theirs have no bearing on this matter. Personal greed and indignation take president.
We are being accused of extortion by 3 Sheets for which I have yet to understand as we had no discussion with them on any amount of money to assist them.
We as a result of this have received "WARNINGS" that we shall be BLACK BALLED. Since when does illegal operators of any business take precedence over those abiding by the laws of any country.
We at ABC Yacht Services have the satisfaction of knowing that those we have assisted on the high seas have been very satisfied with the services rendered and we shall continue to offer the highest level of service to the greater boating community here in the Bahamas. God Bless ! Fair Winds And Sunny Days To All.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:40   #144
ABC

I intended for all to see our response. Its been a few years since I have been active on this forum. Sorry about that can you please forward our message to the main notice board we would be most grateful.
Thanks Ian
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:18   #145
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In regard to your tale, seems to me to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other . Sure the Bahamas tow boat operator was playing hardball, but he stuck to using the local rules (and Bahamas far from alone in having rules that favour the locals in business)
David,

While the USA has a very strong Jones Act… I could still, with foreign registered tugs, pick up tows in the USA for International voyages as it is in compliance with International Agreements.

So, I am curious about the validity of whatever rule… quoted in Nassau, actually applied to preventing a foreign registered tug picking up a tow for an International voyage?

I think the OP had a real reason to be pissed off with corrupt treatment and extortion!

To me, ABC yacht Agents is a company that should be blacklisted amongst fellow yachtsmen!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:14   #146
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post

First of all we were sent to them by their towing company to assist in their difficulties....
...In addition their insurance company contacted us as the local go to company to assist them.
...We simply made our services available to those involved.
The plot unfolds and we have heard from all except US Tow.
  • BASRA admits local practices have been fuzzy and work around solutions was common place.
  • ABC Agents admit to being involved, but there agency services do not appear to include helping a tug already hired and having completed 50% of the voyage, to finish the job!
  • Instead, according to Three Sheets, they made sure that local authorities knew they were watching.
In my experience with port officials, they are generally helpful unless someone reminds them not to be.
So in this small community, you have to ask, which agency had that Agenda?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:16   #147

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Before you lecture BASRA on how they should operate, maybe you should learn a little about what they are. You imply above they are someway equvalent to USCG or the USCG Auxillary. The Bahamas doesn't have a CG. They do have a Bahamas Defense Force. BASRA is not part of it. They are a volunteer organization that assists boaters in trouble.
You too could wear a BASRA T-Shirt --- for a small donation.
Let me see if I understand your post. First I post part of the BASRA post, the relevant part being this.

"BASRA, like the USCG, got out of non distress towing. It would be unfortunate if Capt. Gilbert represented himself in any way as BASRA (other than just wearing a shirt) and this will be investigated further and dealt with if necessary."

Then I say Gilbert should not be claiming he was officially representing BASRA and I did not think it was a good idea for him to be wearing a BASRA logo shirt.

A lot of folks with English as a first language would think I was on the same page as BASRA, not lecturing them. Could you point out what you think I was lecturing them about.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:30   #148
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Could you point out what you think I was lecturing them about.
No no no, that would spoil their trolling fun
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:51   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
We as a result of this have received "WARNINGS" that we shall be BLACK BALLED.
Looks like those who issued these warnings came to the conclusion based on facts and accounts collected from both sides.

The US towing company made mistakes, the ABC used this as an opportunity and went too far. I did not work, the word got out ... now, it's time to say "sorry" or shut up ... me thinks.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01   #150

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sometimes the avatar tells you all you need to know about the ***hol---, er poster.

Tags
nassau