Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2007, 14:29   #1

Dry Tortugas

Am planning our first visit to the Dry Tortugas in a couple of weeks.

Our current plan is to do a straight shot overnight from Charlotte Harbor at Boca Grande. We’ll plan on leaving early one morning and arriving in the Tortugas in the middle of the following morning.

Any guidance on using the Northwest Channel approach? The charts seem straightforward enough so my plan was to enter the reserve near the boundary marker “I” (FL Y 4s), from there take a heading of 193T for 4.7 nm to bring me off of Green #7 to starboard and from there right to Red #6 to starboard and follow the channel.

Subject to all of the “prudent mariner” guidance, any problems with this approach?

Curtis
s/v "High Cotton"
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 06:37   #2

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
Curtis,
I visited the Tortuga's last year and am planning another trip at the end of April, we left marker "2" here in Hudson and arrived 72hrs. later. We entered from the south boundary marker "P" and on to "R2" / "G3"..ect. also the channel running between Garden and Bush is now open but not well marked, the Fast Cats from Key West are using it and say 8'-12' . I choose to stay on the Conservative side and followed the channel running between Bird and Garden Keys to the Anchorage by the fort and had no problems.
Bill,
billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 06:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billangiep
Curtis,
I visited the Tortuga's last year and am planning another trip at the end of April, we left marker "2" here in Hudson and arrived 72hrs. later. We entered from the south boundary marker "P" and on to "R2" / "G3"..ect. also the channel running between Garden and Bush is now open but not well marked, the Fast Cats from Key West are using it and say 8'-12' . I choose to stay on the Conservative side and followed the channel running between Bird and Garden Keys to the Anchorage by the fort and had no problems.
Bill,
Bill, thanks for the info. Any reason why you avoided the north approach? From the charts it looks like there is plenty of water....

Curtis
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Old 17-03-2007, 07:00   #4

Curtis,
I was weighing on the side of caution as this was my first trip. There are a few 4' shoals close by approaching from the north..and as I suspected the shoals are not as friendly as the ones were are used to on the Fl. coast (sand / mud) also I was a bit surprised of the amount of current running once inside of the boundary markers. The anchorage's were fine...
Bill,
Old 17-03-2007, 07:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billangiep
Curtis,
I was weighing on the side of caution as this was my first trip. There are a few 4' shoals close by approaching from the north..and as I suspected the shoals are not as friendly as the ones were are used to on the Fl. coast (sand / mud) also I was a bit surprised of the amount of current running once inside of the boundary markers. The anchorage's were fine...
Bill,
Were the shoals charted & visible or were they of the "surprise variety?" If you entered at "P", I assume you went around the East side of the boundary, right?

Thanks again...

c
Old 17-03-2007, 07:35   #6

The east side of "P" would be correct but then there is plenty of water around all the boundary markers....there were no surprises and visibility was very good.. My buddy's say if I don't have 20' under me I'm not happy...which is partly true...I just watch the depth sounder more closely...I haven't been aground in nearly 12 yrs...damn....I didn't say that...knock on wood..lol
Bill,

Tags
dry tortugas