Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 21:55   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Dominican Republic: One of the Most Dangerous Tourist Destinations in the Caribbean

I have been looking at all the threads on th DR and after looking deeper seems like there may be a lot more violent crimes that I would have thought-

Santo Domingo.- The Santo Domingo Province Juvenile Court sent five minors, three boys and two girls, to jail on charges of killing seven taxi drivers in different parts of the municipality Santo Domingo East
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 23:42   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
This is a terrible story for sure, but it doesn't involve tourist as per the thread title. Any other examples that would support the DR being one of the most dangerous tourist destinations in the Caribbean? Not saying its not, its just your posting doesn't seem to support the claim.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A gang of youths were hanged a few years back here for raping and killing an eleven year old. And yet here is probably one of the safest places to live.

I have no problem walking alone at night to fetch something from the shops. If I leave my car unlocked, it will still be intact when I return. My worst nightmare is being parked in, but whenever that has happeed the owner has left keys in the car for me to move it.

There are probably bad people everywhere in the world. We need them, in order to give the media something to report in order to create a hysteria and give the public a reason to believe in the security services. Imagine how boring the news would be if the media balanced out the good and the bad proportionately.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55   #4
cruiser

A 20 year old just admitted to killing 3 people (including a 10 year old) in Maine. The murders happened about a week ago. I wouldn't consider this a reason to suggest that cruising the Maine coast is now dangerous.

The DR is on my list of places to go. I've only heard good things about safety. What are you seeing to make you think that "there may be a lot more violent crimes that I would have thought"? In 5 years of learning about the DR, I haven't seen cases of cruiser violence like I see with Venezuela, Panama, or even the incident last week in Martinique. Can you provide some cruising examples of DR cruising violence?
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02   #5

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Haiti (pre Earthquake) is the place cruisers say to stay away from. I have Caribbean insurance, yet is specifically excludes Haiti and Columbia. Every cruiser who I've talked to who visited Haiti has told me a story at minimum of being robbed, yet they all said DR was good (and cheap). The "lightest" story I heard about Haiti was of a friend who they swam very far out to their boat while they were sleeping and stole everything they could off the deck....
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Ive been snopeing around because I also am going to be spending time there this winter, so I like to do my home work- I had not heard anything but good from the cruiser's, so I thought let me look a little closer and ive found a lot of storys on volent crimes happening all the time- just look a little deeper -im still going, but its good to be aware that things are happening down there- like most places-
here is the results of a poll from Dominican Watchdog - News about corruption and fraud in the Dominican Republic :: Dominican Watchdog

Two foreigners was murdered with in a 20 miles radius on the North coast on December 30th 2009:
http://dominicanwatchdog.org/dominic...nican_Republic
http://dominicanwatchdog.org/dominic...n_Puerto_Plata
In December another Canadian was kidnapped at gun point and later drugged for more than two weeks before released:
http://dominicanwatchdog.org/dominic...nican_Republic
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Ive been snopeing around because I also am going to be spending time there this winter, so I like to do my home work- I had not heard anything but good from the cruiser's, so I thought let me look a little closer and ive found a lot of storys on volent crimes happening all the time- just look a little deeper -im still going, but its good to be aware that things are happening down there- like most places-
here is the results of a poll from Dominican Watchdog - News about corruption and fraud in the Dominican Republic :: Dominican Watchdog
Doesn't sound all to different from many of the islands in the Caribbean. Just be careful, but DR should be fine.

St Kitts has issues, but I wouldn't avoid it either. Although I would not recommend walking at night in parts of town....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
All I can add is that our time in the DR was fantastic. We stopped for a few days and stayed a couple of months. We toured the country by both car and motor scooter and never felt threatened or concerned for our safety. The people all over the country were some of the friendliest we have met in the Caribbean.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:54   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Haiti (pre Earthquake) is the place cruisers say to stay away from. I have Caribbean insurance, yet is specifically excludes Haiti and Columbia. Every cruiser who I've talked to who visited Haiti has told me a story at minimum of being robbed, yet they all said DR was good (and cheap). The "lightest" story I heard about Haiti was of a friend who they swam very far out to their boat while they were sleeping and stole everything they could off the deck....
I suppose you mean COLOMBIA....
KWICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 13:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
I suppose you mean COLOMBIA....
Yep. that one.
Old 10-07-2010, 13:48   #11

Quote:
Doesn't sound all to different from many of the islands in the Caribbean. Just be careful, but DR should be fine.

St Kitts has issues, but I wouldn't avoid it either. Although I would not recommend walking at night in parts of town....
Doesn't sound that much different from Chicago either (or lots of other cities but Chicago is one I know personally). Talk to the tourists who visit the lakefront attractions, shop on Michigan Ave, etc, you'll get a positive image. Then research Cabrini Green - leaves quite a different impression, but it's unlikely that the problems there are going to affect tourists much. I would not judge the whole place on that basis as "one of the most dangerous tourist destinations in America."
There's crime and criminals everywhere, wouldn't expect DR to be any different.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 15:20   #12

There are parts of Chicago I would not go in the day time. As tourists go - St Kitts is still very safe. But I'd still advise not walking around Irishtown or Newtown in the wee hours....
Old 14-10-2010, 09:03   #13

In the capital, be careful. Otherwise, places like where I live (Samana Bay) are quite safe...the town of Samana is very much like Annapolis, where I am now.
maritimeplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 18:54   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would have to agree with "marintimeplastic". I have spent considerable time in the D.R. and traveled all over the place. There are cities where you do not wander around outside the core tourist areas like Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. Crime can be a major problem in high density population areas, especially if there is a drug culture there. But elsewhere things are quite calm and settled.
- - I spent most of my time in Luperon and Samana. Samana is quite cosmopolitan compared to Luperon. Water front restaurants have linen on the tables and great food. There is a growing cruise ship business there and they were building a shopping mall type area at the western end of town when I left. It looked very European.
- - Luperon is definitely 3rd world but in a nice way. There is a large ex-pat community there so you have plenty of compatriots to hang with. Prices are extremely reasonable. The local bakery is quite good although the normal food stores are not that fancy as they cater to the locals more than anybody else. For shopping we hire a car and driver or buddy up with an ex-pat who is going to Santiago.
- - PriceSmart, Nationale, and other very modern, well stocked stores including Ocho-8 which reminds me of Home Depot. Also an unlimited amount of little shops and craftsmen to do just about anything you need at extremely low prices.
- - On the other hand, it is a 3rd world system with electricity not available most of the day - same with water. We buy potable water in 5 gal plastic bottles and refill our tanks from them. Life is somewhat raw and simple and of course they all speak Spanish. But with a few words and lots of arm waving you can communicate well enough to accomplish your task. This is also why when going to Santiago shopping we hire a car and driver. The driver becomes our translator and also knows where all the shops and parts places are located. Street signs are not a big thing in the D.R.
- - You need to be able to deal with the psychology of living with a culture that is somewhat Spanish Conquistador with rich and poor and little in between. Graft and corruption is rampant mainly because the official don't get paid enough to support their families. So taking care of your "official" with a little for his services goes a long way to making what you want happen.
- - But the food is great. Totally organic and natural as the country is too poor to afford hormones, artificial feeds and pesticides and fertilizer. The food grows as Nature designed it to grow. Same with animals - free range cattle. A good local meal sets you back US$3 to $5 and double it if you want some Presidente beer.
- - As with most 3rd world countries ecology and public sanitation is not a high priority thing so don't stick any part of your body into the bay waters or you will get Durarte's Revenge. However, anything you want is available from the Pharmacia, no prescriptions necessary.
- - The local ladies are downright gorgeous and healthy. Falling in Love is a major hazard. The D.R. is a very different place from what you are used to in North America and some folks cannot deal with it - you have to be "street-wise" and on your guard as in the D.R. no money means no food. Stealing is mostly done by the drug culture and outsiders. But "conning" you out of your money is a major national pastime. So you need to learn how things are done. So in total, some folks love the place and find it quaint and charming. Others cannot adjust so move on to more "Anglo" islands.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 19:38   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
There are parts of Chicago I would not go in the day time. As tourists go - St Kitts is still very safe. But I'd still advise not walking around Irishtown or Newtown in the wee hours....
Or Seattle, or San Francisco, or LA...

Osirissail's comment about the ladies goes for those in Mazatlan as well. Due to the extended occupation by the French, there are some real fine examples of pulchritude, but watch out as they all want the 3 "C''s.

Casa, Chickens, Children.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Dominican Republic