Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 07:16   #31

I just wanted to let everyone know that we got fuel from Monrovia no problem. The quality was poor and it was expensive but when you have no other options, you got to do it. When we get to Cape Verde's I can post more info on going into Monrovia as a fuel option. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the help....especially Alex. It is much appreciated and was very useful.. It's great to have forums like these where you can get a lot of information and help very quickly.

Thanks again everyone and Merry Christmas!

Jody
jomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 07:25   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
good to hear you are okay,best place to get fuel direct to the yacht is in mindelo,sao vincente,in the main port,duty free prices,
other wise available at praia but you will need jerry cans to transport by dingy,though check may be able to get a tanker to deliver to the dock.
rgds alex
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 07:54   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
we also stopped at porto do tarafal on sao nicolau which was fairly sheltered though most of the anchorages tend to be rolly.

the channel between santo antao and sao vincente can be very tough as the wind funnels through at 40 knots worth approching mindelo from the north if possible.

other wise porto grande,mindelo best anchorage in the cape verdes,even a marina of sorts good shops and resturants,last time we were there in 2003.

we did the same trip from cape town,st helena,mindelo,funchal,gib in 89'
managed to fetch madiera,though we had to motor sail all the way after cape verdes so as to point high enough,left sa in april and arrived in june.
atoll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:14   #34
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
other wise available at praia but you will need jerry cans to transport by dingy,though check may be able to get a tanker to deliver to the dock.
I refueled in Praia from the petrol (gas) station down near the docks, it has a pontoon to tie up and a long fuel line which reaches from the forecourt.
You can also get robbed easy in Praia, advice seems to be to anchor well off and share an anchor watch. I did neither but at least they didn't wake me up
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote