Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 09:55   #31

Boat: Hinckley SW42
Re: Do coast guard / customs use sniffer dogs when searching yachts?

Thank you guys!
I was thinking just about some weed but now I know the risks. It's taken much more serious by authorities than smoking at my home country.
My freedom worth more than losing it because of a joint
chriswsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:06   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The big concern is that even in places where weed is acceptable, crossing the border (in either direction) with it is typically not. So as others have said, I wouldn't have any (or paraphernalia) on board.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:06   #33

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
Obviously it’s not worth the risk, but I was told by someone that a documented vessel cannot be seized by another country. Is there any truth to this?

You're welcome to try it yourself, but a quick search on the internet reveals that whoever told you that is an idiot!

My concern with drugs is that someone who goes out on the boat with us will may have illegal drugs with them. . . .

I generally tell people not to bring them, and if I catch them with them, they will get thrown overboard, first the drugs, then the people that brought them on my boat.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
This is scary--and not at all unlikely since the OP hasn't even logged back in since posting the original message.

Kind of the nautical version of swatting.
It was just a question, no authorites would take this seriously. There were no useful information, there are a lot of people with Chris W. name. I never stated that I would use the Hinckley, I was talking about a motor yacht. And it was not about wholesale quantities, small amounts are in many countries decriminalizied.
I'm not a criminal
Old 20-09-2022, 10:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
To even contemplate bringing drugs onboard is the height of stupidity !!! To post here trying to figure out some place or method to hide your stash is moronic beyond my ability to tell you !!!
I was not asking about any trick for smuggling or anything, I just asked if they use dogs or not. I don't propagate smuggling drugs.

Otherwise thank you for your reply!
Old 20-09-2022, 10:48   #36

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Troll or dopey stoner, who cares.....and why buy into it?

Rhetorical question by the way.
There is inherently nothing worse with cannabis (or actually any other psychedelic) when responsibly used than alcohol, nicotine, or any other legal recreational drug

Other than the annoyance of responses like this from the overly judgmental and barely educated.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
As a final note. In the 35 odd years I've been afloat, I can't recall a time, when I've ever met another sailor into recreational drugs.
The ocean should be a sailor's drug of choice.

You get another hand up from me.
Really? There are massive threads on here about rum and whiskey.
Old 20-09-2022, 10:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswsailing View Post
I was not asking about any trick for smuggling or anything, I just asked if they use dogs or not. I don't propagate smuggling drugs.

Otherwise thank you for your reply!
You should also know that just because cannabis is legal somewhere (like in Canada), you cannot bring your own in. You must buy it here. Buying here would be easier than getting a cup of coffee though because there are more pot shops than coffee places!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:54   #39

Quote:
Thank you guys!
I was thinking just about some weed but now I know the risks. It's taken much more serious by authorities than smoking at my home country.
Personally I enjoy a little, and coastal cruise with a very small amount. I would not recommend traveling internationally with it.

That said, put me in any city in the world practically and I can find it in a day and w/in 20 minutes in the US.

I've spoken to a coastie about it. In the US they care much more about safety issues and will likely not even see it. They don't routinely have dogs on board. This guy told me if you're not under the influence, or being an idiot, they will likely just dispose of a small amount or maybe give you a ticket for a couple hundred bucks. If you're hammered or being an idiot ofc all bets are off, as is crossing borders.
Old 20-09-2022, 11:07   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Here recently a small quantity was found. The drugs unit then basically proceeded to break up the interior looking for stashes.
Old 20-09-2022, 11:09   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

NEVER transport illegal drugs over borders - it's not worth it. Buy it locally if you must - but even then, I've never thought it worth the risk.

Having said that, the borderline 'reefer madness' answers from some other people here is hilarious. It's just weed!
Old 20-09-2022, 12:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Here recently a small quantity was found. The drugs unit then basically proceeded to break up the interior [S]looking for stashes.[/S] as extrajudicial punishment.

Fixed it for you.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 13:46   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do coast guard / customs use sniffer dogs when searching yachts?

Quote:
Thank you guys!
You can buy some in the Canaries for the trip then when you get to the Caribe you can buy a bit of grass fairly easily..
Just make sure you've used up your Canaries resin..
Only place I've ever been searched for drugs was in Guernsey.. Customs officers were standing above the waiting Dock at low water watching me roll a cigarette and figured I was worth a tickle.. similar thing happened in a bar in Oriental, NC.. I'd bought a beer and pulled out my pouch and rolled a ciggy, then decided to visit the loo before anything further. Came back to find the bar staff passing round my rollie for a sniff..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 14:07   #44

Do coast guard / customs use sniffer dogs when searching yachts?

Quote:
It was just a question, no authorites would take this seriously. There were no useful information, there are a lot of people with Chris W. name. I never stated that I would use the Hinckley, I was talking about a motor yacht. And it was not about wholesale quantities, small amounts are in many countries decriminalizied.

I'm not a criminal

Malaysia uses sniffer dogs ...and the death penalty for certain levels of possession still exists. Thailand government however just distributed 1 million marijuana plants free to the public so the situation there is unclear.
Guns are a really touchy issue in Malaysia too, they used metal detectors to search yachts and seized the boats. The culprits are still in jail.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 14:32   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Guns are a really touchy issue in Malaysia too, they used metal detectors to search yachts and seized the boats.
Ya know, there are places on our boat filled with tools and spare parts that would definitely set off a metal detector; also cutlery draws and so on. I bet they get really tired of false positives.

Ann

Tags
arc, customs, dogs, yacht