Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 09:36   #1

Boat: Catalac 900 (1997)
Destination - Caribbean

Hi guys,
I am not asking for someone to plan my route for me but a little advise would be welcome.
I plan to cross from Canary Isles next Jan to the Carib; initially intend heading for Tabago. I am aware that the wind is likely to be between NE and SE and consequently we are planning to visit places in the Windward and Leeward Isles.
The problem arises when it comes to that time of year to be out of there.
We don't have US Visa's, my boat is good for 4 to 5kts down hill with the wind behind - can anyone please recommend a destination which will enable us to continue our Caribbean cruising the following year?
clankyjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:43   #2

Boat: searching...
Re: Destination - Caribbean

Hi,

you will be fine in the Caribbean without an US Visa. You would it need only for the US Virgins and Puerto Rico. Its anyway no fun to sail from the US/Bahamas to the Caribbean - all against the weather.
And a lot of folks stay during Hurricane Season down in Grenada or Trinidad. Most Insurance are OK with that. We planned to move on after one (short) season here but decided to stay another season and sail up North from Grenada to see some island we missed.

Great place here!
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:47   #3

Well, I didn't expect a reply so quickly and all very positive too - can't wait to get there!
Old 31-10-2012, 10:02   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Even if you wanted to sail to the USVI you could still do it, in a roundabout way, without the required US Visa. This involves taking the ferry from the BVI to the USVI and entering on the visa waiver (you do need to fill in the ESTA web document, though) and then with your I-94 form you could take the ferry back to the BVI and then enter the USA on your sailboat.

Apart from the USA the Caribbean islands are open to Europeans without the need for visas. Several are part of the EU and French.

Coming up the island chain from Trinidad & Tobago all of your passages will be in sight of land on the horizon, so with a 4-5knot top speed you will still be doing at most an overnight passage all the way to the northeastern tip a St. Martin / Anguilla. Then you have a big downwind passage of 70nm to the BVI. But it is easy to spend one or two whole seasons between St. Martin and Grenada!
Old 31-10-2012, 10:12   #5

Many thanks - now I am really looking forward to it!
Old 31-10-2012, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Even if you wanted to sail to the USVI you could still do it, in a roundabout way, without the required US Visa. This involves taking the ferry from the BVI to the USVI and entering on the visa waiver (you do need to fill in the ESTA web document, though) and then with your I-94 form you could take the ferry back to the BVI and then enter the USA on your sailboat.

Apart from the USA the Caribbean islands are open to Europeans without the need for visas. Several are part of the EU and French.

Coming up the island chain from Trinidad & Tobago all of your passages will be in sight of land on the horizon, so with a 4-5knot top speed you will still be doing at most an overnight passage all the way to the northeastern tip a St. Martin / Anguilla. Then you have a big downwind passage of 70nm to the BVI. But it is easy to spend one or two whole seasons between St. Martin and Grenada!
No worries Mon..if yo have water up to yo knees den you have trouble..uder dan dat, bring she to da islands Mon.
reefermadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 11:13   #7

You can find more info htt://oceantrader.co
reefermadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:06   #8

Cheers - all good stuff, thank you all for taking the time to advise me

Tags
Caribbean, destination