Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2009, 08:51   #1

Destin, FL to Fort Lauderdale

Looking to bring a 37 Endeavor down from Destin to Miami this spring. I'm flexible on my time frame, however the big question I'm throwing out to the forum is how much time would I save going the Okeechobee Waterway vs. going down and around the Keys?Assuming of course there is enough water in the lake to get through.

I've done the trip in reverse motoring on a big boat, but clearly this will be different.
WetDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 09:20   #2

I would think you would save a considerable amount of time going thru the lake. Water depths are still pretty good I think. Limiting height is 49' at the railroad lift bridge in Port Mayaca.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 03:24   #3

Boat: 2004 Hunter 33' Legacy
crossing Okeechobee waterway

Rumor has it that the 49' at the railroad lift bridge in Port Mayaca has a mystical way of accomodating a slightly higher mast, say 52'. is that correct and if so how is it done. also is there anything on the net that describes it.

Mike
spanky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 05:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Yes, there is a service for a reasonable fee that will add water to containers suspended at the side of your hull and heel your vessel to the necessary angle while you approach this bridge. I'm told they are very efficient. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 07:49   #5

does this service have to be scheduled in advance or how do you arrange it...this sounds too good to be true as we are looking forward to making this voyage.
spanky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 08:17   #6

do your home work. I remember reading something about the locks being closed this summer due to maintaince. I am not sure but check it out
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:13   #7

Boat: hunter 31 " Jacobs Dream"
Send a message via ICQ to Charlesc Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesc
the lake

a call to the corps will get info on the lake and the lock closures. im looking at making the reverse trip from Ft meeyers to Mobile ebay in Feb or March.

this link also might help.

Okeechobee Waterway Boating Information & Directory

Fair winds
Charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:24   #8

I just made the trip last week and it was as advertised. the tipping took about 30 minutes and we were on our way with another vessel just preceeding us. we have traveled from Jax and will end our jouirney in Palmetto/Bradenton area tomorrow. it was quite a trip.

Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas to all
Old 20-12-2009, 18:25   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
When I went through six years ago you could go across and didn't have to go around the rim. I heard you can't do that anymore. Is that true? With all the no wake zones the rim around didn't seem too fruitful.
Old 20-12-2009, 18:38   #10

we originally planned to go to rim route to see more nature but combination of burning of non native veg and low water, we decided to go straight across and we had no problem with water or wakes or ........just not much in the way of animals except the birds after crossing the lake at Clewiston. no no wake zones down the middle.

cheers to all
Old 21-12-2009, 04:47   #11

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Just don't overlook the locks' maintenance schedule. Check with the Corps of Engineers for that, as we learned this summer that the Lake had sufficient water but one of the locks was shut down for maintenance.

THE place to get the Port Mayaca RR Bridge clearance is from the PM Lock operators. Those guys make a point of knowing that clearance to the inch - literally. Twice we've gone under it with a measured 2" to spare (and with the mast considerably above the 48' published clearance) and were disappointed neither time.

Jack

Tags
fort lauderdale