Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 18:21   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Angry Destin, FL marina or dinghy dock

We often cruise along the northern Gulf Coast. Due to our mast height (57 feet), we have to go "outside" between Pensacola and Port St Joe. We always stop in Destin Harbor for a night on the hook, but would like to to be able to spend some time and explore Destin itself. Unfortunately, we have never found a marina in Destin Harbor that would take us (catamaran with 20' beam) for a night or two. Likewise, it is difficult to find a place to tie up a dinghy for a few hours, so we usually just stay on the boat and then leave the next morning. Does anybody know of a marina on Destin Harbor that might take us for a night or two?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:40   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Destin, FL marina or dinghy dock

I stayed at Boshamps Restaurant which is in the heart of Destin and on the outside. We have a Hunter 356 and a mast height of 58.4 feet so we understand your problem. I don't think they have a slip with a 20 foot beam, but if I were you I would check with them. There are some pretty large powerboats and they just might have one wide enough. Be sure you have a 50a 125/250 adapter as there are no 30 amp electrical outlets, they are all 50. There isn't a dinghy dock either, but they have a sand breach inside the dock area and you might be able to get your dinghy to the beach or just tie up along a regular slip on the end. It is a great restaurant and we enjoyed our stay there. We were there 3 days last October. They were outstanding people to deal with and 5 star on the restaurant.

I had a hard time finding anything other than Boshamps as there was a Fishing tournament going on all of October. You can get their contact info from Active Captain.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:32   #3

After my previous post I looked at Google Earth and Active Captain. Boshamps has handled a Catamaran, but AC doesn't say how large. You can get to the beach at either side of the docks, so you can get your dinghy in there. AC says you can use the dinghy dock if you eat there.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56   #4

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: Destin, FL marina or dinghy dock

Did you have any luck staying at Boshamps in Destin, FL? We are currently in St. Andrews headed for Pensacola. It would be nice to stop off at Destin on the way, but similarly we are having a hard time finding a marina that takes transients. Has anyone ever stayed in the anchorage there? Does it get crowded on the weekend? Looking to head that way August 8 or 9

Thanks
Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
S/V Midnight Sun II
www.midnightsunii.com
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 15:15   #5

Call Debbie at Boshamps 850-837-0961. They have limited availability so call very soon and make a reservation. She is not there at night, so call after about 10AM. It is a great place to stay in Destin. We stayed there three nights last fall late October. Food is 5 star and the marina ambiance is very nice. It was quiet on the dock, even with the restaurant there. Power is 120/240 50A so you will need an adapter if you are used to 30A power as I was, having come down the Tenn-Tom from the headwaters of Kentucky Lake. I walked 1.2 miles east to West Marine and bought one. I used it extensively in Florida and the rest of my cruise.

We left Destin for Panama City and and stayed at Bay Point. We left our boat there a month during November while we came back home until the weekend after Thanksgiving and then crossed over to Clearwater and on down to Punta Gorda. Of the many marinas during our 6 month cruise, Boshamps was one of the best!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2014, 17:27   #6

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI

We have stayed in Destin Harbor 6 or 7 times and have never found the anchorage crowded. You may want to anchor near the center or toward the back to avoid traffic and noise. The first time we went in was at night, which we do NOT recommend - the entrance is difficult to see until the last minute and can be tricky. Go ALL the way to the bridge then make a sharp turn to the right. The entrance channel has a little bit of a dogleg which can be difficult to follow in the dark. Once inside, the depths are pretty good until you get to the far back. Whether to arrive from Pensacola or Panama City, depart early and keep a good pace to insure arrival before dark. Be especially careful if draft is over five feet. Once inside, it is a really great anchorage. We always love it.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21   #7

Boat: Lagoon 40

Thanks to everyone that sent info on Destin - either thru this post or via private message. We are currently at Boshamps. Nice location, and pretty good bar/restaurant. Not really set up as a "marina" - but its a great spot.

Special thanks to Capt. Rick of Tow Boat US - I called him for local information on entering Destin Harbor and he was kind enough to meet us at the sea buoy and guide us in. Way to go Tow Boat US.....great service!

Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
S/V Midnight Sun II
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:13   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Special thanks to Capt. Rick of Tow Boat US - I called him for local information on entering Destin Harbor and he was kind enough to meet us at the sea buoy and guide us in. Way to go Tow Boat US.....great service!

Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
S/V Midnight Sun II
Happy you made it in ok. We came in after dark the first time, and really didn't find it very difficult despite warnings of not going in after dark, and only during settled weather. It's one of those "local Knowledge" inlets, but unnecessary in my opinion.

It is a very nice anchorage, but agree....it would be nice to have a designated "dinghy dock" somewhere, so cruiser's can go and provision. We did tie up to some restaurant's dock to go shopping for a couple of hours. We aren't very interested in taking a slip at most places, especially if it's a well-protected anchorage.

Bottom line....Destin *could* make their harbor a bit more cruiser friendly. Still, a good stop.

Ralph
Panama City to Destin | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:08   #9

Glad you made it. I was also worried about getting into the pass, but found it pretty easy the days we came and went. I had friends who had a bad time with it when the winds opposed the tides. We came and left at slack tide on purpose for that reason, but I had plenty of depth for my 5 foot draft.

Old 10-08-2014, 19:02   #10
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I had friends who had a bad time with it when the winds opposed the tides.

Well, it's pretty much the same at most every inlet, isn't it? That is one reason many cruisers, like us, do the ICW when we can. If you are forced to go outside like the OP (and us) due to bridge clearance, you have to figure in the tides. That's just the way it is, and you can wreck your boat if you don't plan ahead.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, dock