Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 06:47   #1

Delivery from Jacksonville to Tampa Bay

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...

Looking at a boat in Jacksonville, FL. Would need to have it delivered to Tampa Bay. Any advice on shipping vs. a delivery voyage? How long/how much for such a delivery? Suggestions of a shipper who would be willing to cart it across Florida?

In case it matters: 34' LOA, 4.5' draft, 50' bridge clearance.

Thanks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 06:59   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...

Looking at a boat in Jacksonville, FL. Would need to have it delivered to Tampa Bay. Any advice on shipping vs. a delivery voyage? How long/how much for such a delivery? Suggestions of a shipper who would be willing to cart it across Florida?

In case it matters: 34' LOA, 4.5' draft, 50' bridge clearance.

Thanks!
I would recommend using Tom Wagner (BOAT TRANSPORTATION and BOAT HAULING - T.J. WAGNER TRUCKING- Boat Transportation and Boat Hauling Boat Trailer Boat Launching based in Florida-Mass ) to haul your boat over to Tamp bay. He is very skilled and careful, and lives in the Tampa area so it's a one way trip really for him. He hauled my 10,000# Bristol 29 from St Pete to Orlando for around $500.00.

Your mast may be too tall to do the route across Lake Okeechobee, and the bridges and locks are often down for repairs. If you can get under the fixed railroad bridge it would be probably 6 days for that route (it took me 5 days departing from Titusville).

To sail around, you could go down the ICW during the daylight hours and probably make 60 - 70 miles or so a day. Then go out at Ft Lauderdale or Miami and around the Keys.

Good luck
Old 16-10-2009, 07:53   #3

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
2 years ago i had my boat trucked from Sarasoata to 30 miles south of Jacksonville, my boat is 33' it cost me $2,000, If i had it to do again i would sail it.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 08:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
...... you could go down the ICW during the daylight hours and probably make 60 - 70 miles or so a day. Then go out at Ft Lauderdale or Miami and around the Keys....
If you go with this plan note that the 4.5'draft would allow you to take the 65' fixed bridge at Long Key and cut through Yacht Channel, pass Schooner Bank and anchor overnight at Little Shark River. Most of this route can be taken just inside the boundry of Everglades Nat'l. Park where there are no trap floats and bypass a long extension of the Keys. 'take care and joy, aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 08:51   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
I went from St. Petersburg, FL to St. Augustine through Lake Okeechobee. Living in St. Augustine, I am spoiled because the city marina was open 24hours. Traveling the ICW and the canal, the marinas I encountered closed at 5 P.M. The trip took 10 days due to the speed of Scallywag. The speed was 5 knots. There were 2 days we ran from 6 A.M. till 10 P.M. One time we left a marina on the west side of the Lake and stopped at the first marina encountered on the east side of the Lake. Many days we ran 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. We grounded twice. Once south of Tampa Bay trying to enter a marina and another time in the channel north of Ft. Myers. The trip was done in August so there was more time of daylight, than in November.

Before you take the trip check the bridge clearance of the canal(There is a company that uses barrels to heel the boat so the boat can make it under the bridge.). Also call the Army Corp of Engineers to check on the depth of the Lake.

Plan on only 30 nm a day(30nm / 5knots = 6hrs). We refueled every other day and had to wait for the fuel dock to open or be at the marina before it closed.

I would make the trip again and allow more time. I had to call the boss and tell him I was at the Lake on Friday afternoon and I would not be in on Monday. I pulled into St. Augustine City Marina at 3:30 P.M. on Monday.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 22:54   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
About 18 months ago I had my 38' 20,000lb Steel ketch trucked from Tallahassee to Clearwater and the trucking cost was $3000.00.

There are several boat transport companies in florida.

A couple of other concerns are the overall hight of the highest point on deck (including lifeline stantions, pullpit/pushpit rails, and cabin trunck) to the bottom of the keel as there are standard hight limits for overhead wiring, overpasses, etc.

Also make sure that there is a crane or travel lift at both ends of the journey if you plan to have it trucked as most cannot lift/drop the boat on their own. Some trainers do have this capability, but they are more expensive.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:45   #7

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
If you decide you might want to have the boat delivered on her own bottom, let me know. Glad to work up a quote for you. Just shoot me a PM or an email.

Rob
Old 19-10-2009, 12:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate
About 18 months ago I had my 38' 20,000lb Steel ketch trucked from Tallahassee to Clearwater and the trucking cost was $3000.00.
Do you feel like you can recommend the company that shipped your boat? If so, can you tell me who it was? Also, if you don't mind, I'd be interested in the all-up cost for hauling, demasting, preparing for shipping, shipping (the $3,000 obviously), re-commissioning, and launching.

Thanks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 19:15   #9

Boat: 2004 Hunter 33' Legacy
Curiously, i just found this thread and am leaving friday to make that journey thru the lake, hopefully. Fortunately i have the time and plan to savor the time with out rushing. i have hunter 33 with 4.5 and 52 mast height. I have talked to person who asssts thru railroad bridge at near indiantown.
Think Scallywag's advice of 30 mi per day is good advice esp this time of the year. however plan on a bit more first 2 days to get out of brrr cold weather.....a yankee woosie here.

will drop crumbs if you decide to sail it.

Spanky44

Tags
jacksonville