Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 07:18   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Cuttyhunk from RI

I have a 28 foot Pearson sailboat. My experience is all in and around Narraganset Bay. This year I'd like to attempt Cuttyhunk. Not sure on the departure point yet. So open to suggestions. Either Newport or Sekonnet River (Third Beach) The only open water sailing I've done has been off shore Newport but only by a couple to 3 miles. I have been sailing about 6 years and have ASA Bare boat certification.
I have gotten conflicting information as to worrying about the tide. Some say yes some say don't worry.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:41   #2

Re: Cuttyhunk from RI

Don't worry. The tide and wind will make a difference, but Eldridge and Windy are your friends. The trip will be pleasant crossing Buzzards Bay with a southwesterly and Eldridge should show the best currents/times. Coming home you will probably want to wait for a more northerly, easterly or southern breeze.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:47   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Did that for many years, often every weekend, when we lived in RI and sailed from Warwick to Cuttyhunk. Hardly "offshore" and never noticed any current of any significance. Plan on 6-8 hour trip depending on wind and anchoring if you dont get there early enough to pick up a mooring. Plenty of room to anchor out if it gets crowded in the harbor. Good dingy dock at the marina. Any easy trip.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:10   #4

Boat: Freedom 40/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcree View Post
I have a 28 foot Pearson sailboat. My experience is all in and around Narraganset Bay. This year I'd like to attempt Cuttyhunk. Not sure on the departure point yet. So open to suggestions. Either Newport or Sekonnet River (Third Beach) The only open water sailing I've done has been off shore Newport but only by a couple to 3 miles. I have been sailing about 6 years and have ASA Bare boat certification.
I have gotten conflicting information as to worrying about the tide. Some say yes some say don't worry.

Nothing to worry about, it's not offshore sailing at all. You're basically just crossing Buzzards Bay. Just pick a time when you're not beating upwind and into the BB chop, it will make for a more pleasant trip.

Sakonnet/Third Beach is closer and less busy, unless you have to go a long way around Portsmouth/Tiverton. If you are, however, you usually have to go upwind down the Sakonnet "river" with the prevailing SW winds. If you fish, you may get some bluefish between Fogland Point and Third Beach.

There are plenty of moorings now outside the Cuttyhunk harbor entrance, in case the inside is full. Also, plenty of space for anchoring outside, but if you are staying overnight, make sure the wind/waves are favorable, as it can get rolly. If you can, take a mooring inside. The channel is shallow, but it's not a problem with your boat's draft.
Free2Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:28   #5

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

You might find it useful to read Navionics comments on Cuttyhunk Harbor Outside. Grassy bottom so anchors can drag. Moorings OK except when wind out of the north putting you off a nearby lee shore.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:42   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Since you have a choice just leave from Sakonnet. It’s always nice to have a fair tide but the distance is short enough not to be a big deal. With the prevailing southwesterly it’ll be a great sail both ways. You are in a prime location to effect lots of short sails to some great places. Block, M. Vinyard, Nantucket, to name a few. Just hitting the spots in Buzzards Bay can use up a two week vacation. You have dozens of storied anchorage’s at your disposal.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:23   #7

Boat: Pearson 28

Great help from all. Thank You Very Much..
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 13:37   #8

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

You have a well built boat. If you were going to No Mans Land in winter, we’d have some suggestions but what better place to get experience than Buzzards Bay. Afternoons can be quiet as a mouse or white knuckle wild. Weather and wind forecasts are just guesses. When the ocean rollers hit the shoal waters off Cuttyhunk, with some wind behind them...you see waves that will turn you green. It’s sailing at its best. Sail there, sail anywhere.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark
Sailed for years out of Little River, and Slocum River, South Dartmouth
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 20:12   #9

Boat: J/109

I just sailed to Cuttyhunk from Warwick on 17JUL for the first time. No issues with some planning. I used the usual tools including Windy, PredictWind and Navionics.

The currents at various points could run 1-2 kts of more in certain restricted areas, but it is not hard to choose a departure time to minimize the impacts or have them play to your favor.

We ended up staying on a mooring in the inner harbor. Very pleasant stay. We were on a Lagoon 380.

We ended up arriving at low tide, so we were extra careful navigating the channel, but no real issues. We did encounter the ferry leaving the next morning, so had to turn around in the channel and until the ferry passed.
mochifanta is offline   Reply With Quote