Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 08:18   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Current Bimini Channel Info

If all goes well, we will be leaving either Thursday or Friday night for a short trip to Bimini. Haven't been over in 13 months; does anyone have up-to-date info on the existence (or non-existence) of markers for entry into the harbor, landmarks, and/or GPS coordinates? thanks, pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:34   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
See:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tes-23432.html

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:56   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Thanks ID: I had seen that (very helpful, btw, and a printed copy will accompany us), but February is a while ago (well, not really in island time!), and I was wondering if perhaps the markers had been repaired or there were other changes. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 10:17   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
While we didn't personally go back through Bimini, some friends did (in late April/early May) and told me that the information is still current. The markers still weren't replaced. That's pretty typical in the Bahamas. I will add that don't be surprised when your depth sounder doesn't get a fix until you are almost in the channel. Look for that big pile of rocks on the shore, just to the north of the condos!

Enjoy the trip. If you're looking for a marina once there, there's Weech's -- reasonable price, but fairly tawdry. Bimini Bay -- way to the north once in the harbor -- is very nice. Our friends said that there was practically no one there and it was also cheap, about $1/ft. There's a good anchorage just to the south of Bimini Bay, too, with good protection from all directions except E.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:01   #5

Pete - so funny you should post this message, we too are leaving at daybreak on Thursday for Bimini. We plan to stay through the weekend.

I have also been wondering about the channel because I haven't been there in about a year and a half. I've searched the forums for the up to date information and have found this post to be the most current information available.....

the newly dredged channel into north Bimini is nice and deep but all the buoys are gone... it's easy to find it though if you line up on the northern jetty into Bimini Sands then curve into the harbor along the beach. There is an easy to see (in good weather) dark line on the port / north side, you want to stay clear of that and of the shallow sand bar which extends from the south end of North Bimini.

The old range is still there but it's a longer run along the beach and it's a little more shallow than the new approach.

Good luck and hope to see you there! Where are you staying?

Randy
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 05:45   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Bimini Channel

We were there in late April and the channel was it's usual scary but manageable self. Be sure to head well south of the tip of North Bimini until you see the range markers on shore. There are no others coming in. Head in following the range until you're almost on top of the shore and head back north. It's an act of faith but is pretty deep right up to the shore. There were two boats anchored inshore of us when we came in. The shoal in front of the side channel by the condos was dredged a couple of years ago but it's come back a bit. We draw 5 feet and kissed the bottom going in. Be sure to follow your chart to avoid the shallow spot just past the first marinas.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 06:02   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I'll second leaving as far south as possible. But! If you want to leave Angelfish creek and plan to stay there overnight before departure the Swamp Angels are in full force right now and you will need either good screens on all open ports or A/C. I was just there a few days ago and they are very very mean right now.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands