Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 06:55   #31

Re: Cruising Venezuela 2019

My good friend is Venezuelan and lived there until her late teens (early 2000s). Her grandmother is in the capital and cousins on the archipelago. Such is the situation there that she hasn't visited in over 4 years and won't take her partner/daughter to meet family for fear of their safety and the situation with regard to food and medical supplies/assistance.

Given how things appear to be, I would be worried about anything happening such as a medical emergency, even if you don't want to go to the mainland and arrive well-provisioned.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:08   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my friend still living in vene has posted that her home is in danger. yes she lives in a mansion in pairadice. she earned her home by working as translator for oil company. that was nixed by the sanctions placed on vene dicktater. her income creating possibilities have been terminated by a dicktater from hell.
she is in danger of loss of home for her family and rescued critters she could not stand to watch be killed and eaten. yes she has feelings. she rescues for her own peace of mind. there is none of that in vene.
she is not alone in this situation.
no peace, no peace of mind.
i would not worry so much about how to get emergency services in vene, i would be concerned about the survival of venezuelans. as the borders are closed and as islands in south caribbean are being monitored by controllers of vene, i would definitely abort any and all trips to vene in name of safety.
another thought is why does anyone wish to support this kind of political assininity and killing off of populace. this friend is also suffering malnutrition same as all other venezuelans, fell due to that, and is experiencing issues with maduro diet, which is starvation. funny how NO FOOD works. no food no medical supplies and nothing at all. and to top it all off, maduros minions BURNED the relief supplies. all meds foodstuffs and other much needed emergency supplies have been burned in front of the eyes of those needing them most.
and you want to support this. wow.
supporting these is essentially telling these oppressed people their situation is irrelevant and that you condone the effecting of genocide as practiced by maduro.
sadly i see it as such.
how else can this be seen or interpreted. supporting the govt is anti population. none of population benefits from our visits, as all monies go to maduro .... hyperinflation, 10 MILLION percent--can also be considered a deterrent to turismo. these folks have nothing and unfortunately we can not assist. we have witnessed the reality of sending assistance to vene under madman maduro. the much needed items are BURNED while on the trucks. yes the trucks are also burned. while population is forced to watch the end of their hope.
my words are from the mouth of residents still residing in venezuela with no hope of being able to leave. from riches to rags at the hands of govt.
btw--their issues began long before sanctions were placed by trump. for 5 years this has been deteriorating badly. it has been 5 years since foodstuffs were plentiful on shelves of stores and travel was allowed and folks were allowed to own property.that has been changed very recently.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13   #33

Boat: Columbia 8.7

If I had a yacht in the area, make a me wonder if I would start smuggling food & refugees.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39   #34

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Go.....report back, if we don't hear from you, well we hope you enjoyed yourself until the end.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:57   #35
cruiser

Hi there! What a suitable thread here. We will be in Venezuela in May/June 2020. We would like a chance to see some of the beautiful islands in the caribbean & then getting off somewhere in Mexico... Is there any cruises etc that do this kind of route? What is the cheapest way to see some of the caribbean islands? We found soem info on cruising sites, but any real like experience is highly appreciated. Thanks
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:05   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8989 View Post
Hi there! What a suitable thread here. We will be in Venezuela in May/June 2020. We would like a chance to see some of the beautiful islands in the caribbean & then getting off somewhere in Mexico... Is there any cruises etc that do this kind of route? What is the cheapest way to see some of the caribbean islands? We found soem info on cruising sites, but any real like experience is highly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Sam,

I think you are looking at cruises on big ships like Royal Caribbean. This site is about cruising on your own, small yacht so really not the best place to ask your question.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:13   #37

Boat: Somebody else's boat......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Venture View Post
.... is it as bad a people make it out to be.
"It" never is....until "it" happens to you. Here in the states we have parts of every major city that is essentially a "no go" zone due to the inhabitants being human trash infatuated with things like robbery and murder. CAN you venture into these places? Certainly. Should you? Nope. I feel the same way about areas with a bunch of poor foreign bastards that see a first world citizen, (aka WHITE) as little more than a walking ATM / piece of meat. See: Somalia, etc

Do what you think is best.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:20   #38

Boat: Somebody else's boat......

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
...knew one of the guys that got his head cut off. That incident changed my perspective regarding the odds.
If that didn't do it, nothing will.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:25   #39

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I hear nothing but great stories from cruisers who visit Suriname. The ABC's are patrolled by one or two Dutch Navy frigates. Flyover daily from CG heli and twin prop planes. I feel very safe in the ABC's, so much so that I had my 5 year old granddaughter on board for two weeks, sailing between Curacao and Bonaire.

My insurance forbids Vene, so that rules it out for me. But even if they didn't, I surely wouldn't be there due to the obvious risk to life and property.

But everyone gets to make their own decisions.
Old 20-08-2019, 11:37   #40

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I hear nothing but great stories from cruisers who visit Suriname. The ABC's are patrolled by one or two Dutch Navy frigates. Flyover daily from CG heli and twin prop planes. I feel very safe in the ABC's, so much so that I had my 5 year old granddaughter on board for two weeks, sailing between Curacao and Bonaire.

My insurance forbids Vene, so that rules it out for me. But even if they didn't, I surely wouldn't be there due to the obvious risk to life and property.

But everyone gets to make their own decisions.
Chris, as I told you surinam is fantastic !
here's a little write up we did (there's other posts as well on the site about surinam)

Surinam : approach , formalities and adventures – SV Blue Pearl : a Dutch family sailing

Tags
cruising, Venezuela