Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 12:01   #1

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
Cruising the Chesapeake - Advice Please !

Hi all, once again I solicit your input:

I will be cruising the Chesapeake this sumer (for the first time) on our 45' sailboat (6' draft). We wish to discover the area over the course of two years leaving the boat in a central location, with easy access to an airport. I will need to lay up the boat occasionally at a boat yard, and fly home (Canada) to work for a couple of months every now and then...

A lot of people have suggested DELTAVILLE, VA, as a base for the boat. There are indeed quite a few boatyards to choose from there. However, I think it is far from an airport (?).

Anybody out there with input or suggestions on this? I appreciate your suggestions...
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:07   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: CRUISING THE CHESAPEAKE ADVICE PLEASE

Try Generation III in Cambridge, MD. They do great work at reasonable prices. It is about an hour from Baltimore International airport (BWI).
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:16   #3
cruiser

If you want the company of a lot of other sailors, nothing will beat Annapolis. It's one of the major sailing spots in the entire US.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:25   #4

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig

I absolutely agree with you, been there, but racing Etchells and Lasers... I am not really familiar with the boatyards and marinas... Something tells me that they would be in the "pricey" category??
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:37   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico

Deltaville has a lot of marinas, but its hardly even a town. It just one long highway with various businesses. It's not "charming" if you ask me.

I would recommend Solomon's Island, MD. Great community and lots of boats.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:46   #6

Boat: Hunter 38

Hi Pjazz,

I keep mine in Galesville, about 30 miles from BWI (Baltimore International) and about 12 miles south of Annapolis. DCA and Washington are also about 30 miles. Its a nice small town and there are a few marinas to choose from and they are not charging Annapolis prices. If you do leave it there or are in the area PM me as I am there every 1-2 weeks if you need any assistance.

Regards
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:50   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'

The Pasadena area (northern Anne Arundel County) is much cheaper than Annapolis, and is next to BWI airport.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:16   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

There are a lot of places where transportation is hard to come by or expensive or both. Deltaville seems to be one of those. There are a number of places within reasonable distance of BWI that don't cost a fortune. If you have your own car here then your options open up.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:16   #9

Boat: Tartan 40

Oak Harbor has good services, nice protected yard, and pretty affordable I think. Somewhat close to Baltimore, very close to BWI. However, not much around to walk to so you'd need a car for this to work.
Oak Harbor Marina
Place page
1343 Old Water Oak Point Rd #5
Pasadena, MD 21122-7613
(410) 255-4070

Alternately could try Tidewater Marine in Baltimore- they are a bit more expensive but they can do anything, and you can walk 1 mile to inner harbor, 0.5 miles to supermarket. They serviced the Volvo Ocean Race boats back when they were here... Cab is $30 to BWI from there (or was 2-3 years ago)
Tidewater Yacht Service Center - Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay's Premiere Boat Yard
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:50   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Annapolis is fairly central to a large cruising area. It is not as expensive as it has been in the past. Empty slips are all over Back Creek for short term rental. Its a quick shuttle to BWI airport.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:56   #11

We own a 45-foot slip which is for rent on an annual basis on Whitehall Creek in Annapolis. Unfortunately, it is true Annapolis is not as expensive as it used to be. But the Creek is beautiful, Hinkley runs the yard there.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:13   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Oak Harbor Marina is not a good idea for your boat. Their slips are too small, the docks in bad condition and the electrical power can't handle more than a battery charger or a few light bulbs. We know from first hand experience. There are other marinas in the Pasadena area and that would be a good central location and near BWI. There are a few on Rock Creek, on the Magothy and of course downtown Baltimore at the Inner Harbor. Baltimore is actually quite a distance from the airport. Anywhere on the eastern shore is going to be a very long drive in some terrible traffic to get to the airport. Annapolis, as suggested has lots of marinas but plan to pay top dollar. Almost any other area is going to be quite a bit cheaper than Annapolis. Herrington Harbor is a very nice marina but a long drive to the airport. There are some marinas just south of Annapolis around South River that might work for you. Your 6 foot draft, although not a big problem, will eliminate a few marinas, so be sure to ask. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjazz View Post
I absolutely agree with you, been there, but racing Etchells and Lasers... I am not really familiar with the boatyards and marinas... Something tells me that they would be in the "pricey" category??
The closer you get to BWI the more pricey it will be.

If you are in Cambridge (Eastern shore) you have to cross the bridge to get to BWI. I would stay with the western shore.

Solomons,
Annapolis, or South river
Galesville

Zannheisers in Solomons is primo and about an hour to BWI.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
We own a 45-foot slip which is for rent on an annual basis on Whitehall Creek in Annapolis. Unfortunately, it is true Annapolis is not as expensive as it used to be. But the Creek is beautiful, Hinkley runs the yard there.
Nice spot.
I am in Middle river which is about 30 miles (by water) North of Annapolis.

ps: Your 6' draft is going to limit you in the upper Chesapeake. Lots of places you will not be able to get in to.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:05   #15

Baltimore or Annapolis and points in between would give you quick access to BWI Airport. Both cities could be fun for a season. My 2 cents:
From Baltimore you can take the AMTRAK train or MARK train to BWI airport or south to National Airport, in Washington,DC., or north the Philadelphia airport, etc..
Baltimore Harbor is further away from the Bay and open sailing (for me) than Annapolis.
Annapolis: Fairly inexpensive shuttles drive back and forth between BWI Airport and Annapolis, where you can also catch the train (There's an AMTRAK/MARK train stop at BWI.).
Galesville: I kept a boat there for many years, one of the most beautiful spots on the Bay but no public transportation.
Deltaville: My friends like it because the sailing, at times, in the south Bay can be like ocean sailing. I found there wasn't anything really there. It's not near an airport.
Solomons Island is far away from everything and besides, it's fun place to visit on a sailboat.
Baltimore has much more to do off of the boat; a lot of museums, restaurants, an active music and arts scene, etc.. A delivery Captain friend of mine chose to work from Baltimore just for this reason.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, cruising, marinas