Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 07:25   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cruising the Chesapeake - Advice Please !

Not sure why I didn't mention this before -- you can stay in Little Creek (I like Vinings Landing Marina) and if need be WALK to Norfolk International Airport.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:02   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

If you plan on seeing the whole bay, why not start off down south? As Auspicious says, there are many nice, affordable marinas in the Norfolk/Hampton, VA area that have easy access to Norfolk International airport or Newport News/Williamsburg International. There is plenty to see here by boat as well.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:15   #18

Boat: Pearson 422

Given your 2 year timeframe, I would suggest you look at 2-4 locations and move between them. Each area of the Chesapeake has it's own unique charms, attractions, and downsides.

My preference would be to move the boat occasionally to a new locale and then explore what that area has to offer. Frankly, whether the airport is 45 or 90 min away won't matter nearly as much as whether the anchorage you want to explore is within easy sailing range for a day or weekend trip.

As you can tell from the other responses, there are lots of fantastic places both to explore and to keep a boat. We've been in the Annapolis area and have kept boats on the South, Severn and Magothy rivers and are now on Whitehall Creek. But our favorite spots are still on the Eastern Shore: Oxford, St Michaels, Cambridge, etc.

Of course, we also envy those folks living either north or south of us on the Bay! The water's always blue-er... or something like that.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:52   #19

Paperbird, where on Whitehall Creek? Our slip is at Whitehall Martina, our boat is in North Carolina.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 10:14   #20

Hannah,

We're right across the creek at a private residence. Paperbird is a project boat and a friend has a workshop and dock. So we're there while getting a few projects sorted out and some rigging issues resolved.

Something seems amiss - slip on Whitehall, boat in NC? Really, really long dock lines?

BTW - A Whitby 42 lives at our friends, and their neighbor has 2 of them. Now you - I'm feeling a little outnumbered.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:20   #21

We didn't leave Annapolis until November 20 last year and I said I never wanted to be that cold again, so we found a yard in Oriental we like and they are doing some repairs and upgrades this summer. Next year we go offshore to the Virgins in November and I hope to be cold for only a day or so. We know both Morning Light and Westering Home well. The third Whitby I don't know. If we haven't rented the slip we may bring Rita T up for the Whitby rendezvous (which used to be at Rankins/Drennings) and the boat show. If so, I'll give you a holler.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:28   #22

A small world, indeed.

Please do give us a shout if you come up. Would love to learn from you about your travels. We're a couple years from a similar plan.

Fair winds!
greg
s/v Paperbird
Old 15-06-2011, 12:00   #23

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig

Thanks so much to all that have replied, I have enough information to work with for quite a while, I realize the Chesapeake is quite a large area to explore.

At this point I jumped on a plane deal for my next trip back to Canada, and have booked flights out of BWI late august.

I'll be sailing from Charleston up into the Chesapeake, and likely along the west shore towards Baltimore. I'll have the chance to visit a few of your suggested marinas and boat yards for the fall lay-up...

Thanks again for the advice, and if you spot FALCO on the water, honk your horn or whatever!
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 12:28   #24

Re: CRUISING THE CHESAPEAKE ADVICE PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Deltaville has a lot of marinas, but its hardly even a town. It just one long highway with various businesses. It's not "charming" if you ask me.

I would recommend Solomon's Island, MD. Great community and lots of boats.
I too would recommend Solomons. About and hour and half from BWI and a good central location to explore the bay both north and south. Lived aboard for a number of years there and many marinas to choose from. If you can get on Dock A (located away from the rest of the marina in a private cove with a view of the lighthouse at the museum) at the Beacon marina you may never leave.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:54   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Frankly, whether the airport is 45 or 90 min away won't matter nearly as much as whether the anchorage you want to explore is within easy sailing range for a day or weekend trip.
I think you underestimate the difficulty of ground transportation to and from some places. I did a delivery out of Oxford last February and the boat owner ended up sending an employee in a company van to get the crew. 45 or 90 minutes may not be a big deal if you have a car, but if you are dependent on publicly available transportation (including cabs, shuttles, and car services) there are lots of marinas that you simply can't get to and from.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 17:27   #26

Auspicious wrote: "...there are lots of marinas that you simply can't get to and from."
I agree.
A few times I've been called to help with deliveries around the Chesapeake, and even though I like to help my mates out I've had to tell them, "I can't get there from here." There being the marina.

On the flip side, it's really nice to be able to leave a boat in Annapolis or Baltimore and to be on public transportation within an hour.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 18:49   #27

Boat: Island Packet 35
Deals, MD....Herrington North has a great boatyard, less than an hour from located Reagan National or BWI,
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, cruising, marinas