Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:02   #31

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Cruising Cuba

Hogfighter. I wonder where they Customs Official was located that you talked to. I think that same discussion with the Homeland Security folks in Key West would produce a much different conversation. On the plus side, during the Bush administration there were more people and resources dedicated to tracking Americans traveling to Cuba than to terrorism. Today, that has reversed and the current administration has made it a very low priority. Congress has almost cut off all funding for enforcement. But it is still illegal and not a good idea to encourage someone to go anyway. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12   #32

Boat: Hunter 430

My intent was not to encourage anyone to head down south, or do anything "illegal".....merely to pass along information. The Customs supervisor I talked to was in Ft. Lauderdale. I completely agree with Osirissail's post about a Newbie vying to make a name for himself, and that it is somewhat of a gamble.

I do agree that Key West might not be a good choice to reenter the U.S due to their long and checkered history with their neighbors to the south. As a side note, the Customs agent did mention that if you returned via the Bahamas (or any other country), quite often the agents don't ask you every country you've been to (although they are required to), only where you are returning from. That certainly isn't lying, as he stated (not my words, his.)

Again, please don't misconstrue this post as encouragement. I simply thought that it was interesting.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
... during the Bush administration there were more people and resources dedicated to tracking Americans traveling to Cuba than to terrorism. Today, that has reversed and the current administration has made it a very low priority ...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba