Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 13:38   #1

Cruising BVIs vs St. Martin?

Hello, I'm interested in a bareboat charter out of either the BVI's or St. Martin. Does anyone with sailing experience in both areas (or either) have a preference or recommendations? What are the pros and cons to both that people find?

Also which bareboat charter operators in the area are trustworthy and good to do business with?

Appreciate any knowledge you can spare.
zztup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 14:39   #2

Re: Cruising BVIs vs St. Martin?

I have sailed both locations multiple times.

The BVIs is the easier of the two and is really built around the charter industry. Plenty of beach bars, mooring balls, shorter sails and no venturing out into the Atlantic or Caribbean - unless you want to. Great place for a nice casual charter and if this is your first charter it's the go-to destination. It is getting a bit crowded these days though and you sometimes have to race to get a ball at certain moorages (where there is no room for anchoring).

St. Martin is more exposed to the Atlantic and the sailing is more challenging - though the lee of the island is pretty sheltered. Longer sails with more anchoring required and less mooring. The island, although still plenty accessible for chartering, isn't as focused on it. It's generally less crowded on the water compared to the BVIs but has more land-based infrastructure. Unless you just stick to one side of the island you would be required to do customs as you pass from the French to the Dutch side and back.

Out of St. Martin you have the option of sailing to Anguila and/or St. Barths. I've never done Anguila, but St. Barths is a really cool upscale French island. Gustavia is the main town with high-end shops and restaurants. You may be able to tie up to the dock there, but you also might have to anchor outside of the inner bay. Just to the north of Gustavia is Columbier bay with a nice beach and plenty of mooring balls. Great place to overnight and BBQ on the boat. I'd recommend a night or two or three at St. Barths if you charter out of St. Martin.

Although my next trip is to the BVIs, my preference for chartering these days is probably St. Martin and the surrounding islands. It's a bit more adventurous and IMO, has more variety to offer.

As far as charter companies, Mooring/Sunsail has bases in both areas and would be fine choices. We have been chartering through Dream Yacht Charters lately and have been happy with them. Additionally, in the BVIs I'd recommend TMM or Horizon as both are great companies with good reputations.
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 15:09   #3

We did our first charter ever this February - an 8-day bareboat charter in the BVIs. It was pretty awesome. The BVIs are chartering Disneyland - consistent wind, easy line-of-sight navigation, great destinations. Fantastic snorkelling. We had a 41' monohull and sailed our asses off.

Um, not cheap, but we knew that going in.

We went with Sunsail. They & Moorings work out of the same base in Road Town. They treated us very well, and the boat was pretty good. Biggest hassle - having to run the boat engine for 2+ hours daily to keep the battery up, because of small battery bank and the draw from the boat's fridge.

We did our own provisioning shopping. Stores are an easy walk, and they will deliver to the boat.

This was near the top of our bucket list, and we enjoyed it immensely.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:56   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

BVI'S vs ST-Martin
I won't go into all the specifics but will give you a few facts.
BVI's is on country. You can sail from one island to the other without having to go trough customs.
St-Martin will usually involve sailing to Angilla or St-Barth and you will have to clear out and check in. Customs = time and $
BVI's anchorages can get crowded depending on period of the year.
St-Martin usually is less crowded.
Provisionnig is about the same.
Snorkeling is better in the BVI's but not spectacular. St-Martin does not have much coral except in Tintamarre. Good luck getting a mooring there.

BVI's have lots of anchorages. But they are almost all the same except for Spanish Town ( The Bath ) and Anegada.
The rest are beach and beach bar.
St-Martin has some villages in most bays that can be fun to visit.

Sailing in the BVI's is usually lighter winds but it can blow. Waves in the chanel when coming from the north are very short, gnarly and uncomfortable. Not big, just choppy.

St-Martin and surrounding islands can gt bigger swell but I take a swell before choppy seas.
Sailing from St-Martin to St-Barth is fun.
Do not go into Gustavia without checking in with the port captain. Call first
I like to anchor out near the 2 small islands near the port.
Colombier is always crowded.
St-Barth is a nice super yacht spotting area.
Rent a 4 wheeler and drive around the island, check out the airport and spend to much money on food.
St-Barth is expensive

BVI's the bath is a must. The Willy T if they can manage to get back into operation is a must and full moon party at Trellis is nice
Virgin Corda sound is cool to anchor in. Not sure what has been rebuilt so far.

St-Martin, one must go and experience a jet blast at Maho Beach

Thats about what I have to say
I have chartered both and St-Martin is not in my top recommended destination, mostly because of the customs hassle. If you are there for a 7 days charter and have to spend half the day each time you check in and out....thats time you do't spent enjoying the place.
Longer charters will have you go to other islands but $$

That's it
Beam winds
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, cruising, St Martin