Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27   #1

Boat: SeaRay 44 Sedan Bridge 45' length
Cruising Bahamas - June '09

I'm planning to cruise the Bahamas the first three weeks of June '09 and want to plan ahead. Wife, two teenages, and me. 45' foot 2006 Sedan Bridge/cruiser 23 mph crusing speed, 40" draft. Wish list is to visit Grand Bahamas, Abacos, and Nassau. Taking boat over with two buddies, flying the two guys home, then flying the family in once the boat is in the Bahamas....then our three week cruise begins. Cruised the Abacos with Grandparents back in 1965 and want to do the same with the kids/wife. I know it will be a bit more populated now but, that's not bad too. Looking for any and all suggestions on what and what not to do, what guides books to purchase, articles to read, etc. Greatly appreciated it.
Tim Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:38   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome aboard, Tim.

Steve Dodge and Stephen Pavlidis have written very good guides to the Abacos. The Explorer chartbooks are considered the best of the lot.
Old 11-01-2009, 15:32   #3

Just a quick question, and I am not trying to be a smart alec.

Do you have to cruise in June? That is the start of hurricane season and if you are in the area any length of time you are just daring mother nature. Hurricane season is June to November.

If you have insurance on your boat you might verify that it stays in effect if the boat is in the water in the hurrricane zone during season.

No matter when you go I hope you have fair winds.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:31   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Do you have to cruise in June? That is the start of hurricane season and if you are in the area any length of time you are just daring mother nature.
Nah, this guy runs a power boat and if a 'cane shows up on the horizon he can out-run it and be in some protected canal in Florida within a day or two:

Quote:
45' foot 2006 Sedan Bridge/cruiser 23 mph crusing speed, 40"
I cruise the Bahamas in June and July as well, but in a sailboat.
August and later in the hurircane season I never go further from Florida than Bimini and the Near Bahamas jsut in case I have to go back and hide in Florida.

That being said: There is some good 'cane holes in the Bahamas, but you need to spend some time there and learn the terrain to find them, as in being a "local".

For the transient cruiser to wander around there blindly and surviving a strong 'cane in a good hurricane hole is unlikely.
Old 23-02-2009, 18:40   #5
any

we plan to be inthe bahamas in june for a week in a 28foot cat how far can we go
any is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 19:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've cruised many times in June. While it is officially the hurricane season, the odds are fairly low that time of the year. They are much more likely later in the season. I agree with CSY, that as long as you keep an ear to the weather forecasts, you have plenty of time in a power boat to deal with what ever may come in.

I'll second all Hud's recommendations on cruising guides and charts.

Marsh Harbour is probably the easiest place to fly people in and out of in the Abacos, but I'd also look into Treasure Cay which caters to many power boats and has many motel rooms right at the resort if needed.

If you want some of the feel you may have had years ago, consider visiting some of the northern Abacos. I've sometimes spent a week up there without seeing another cruiser.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas