Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2008, 19:33   #1

Boat: Ebbtide 33 (steel)
Cruising Advice for Georgia Coast?

Hello all-

We are planning to set off from the Florida Keys late this year on a slow slog north and would like to spend some time cruising the coast of Georgia. Any advice on anchorages, shoreside destinations, experiences with the authorities (we read something about living aboard being illegal?), good marinas/fuel, etc. would be MOST appreciated. We skipped the entire state on our trip south from Boston and are excited to tuck away for some months this winter. We are cruising on a 33ft steel cutter, with 2 very young daughters- did the ICW from Boston to Marathon three years ago and are only now getting back to crusing life. This will be our new boat/new family shakedown. Thanks for your help!
john landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 02:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See Tom Dove’s The Intracoastal Waterway (ICW)
Tom Dove Home Page

Georgia anchorages are covered at:
MILE 710, GA - CUMBERLAND ISLAND to MILE 583, GA - THUNDERBOLT
Followed by Florida

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 03:52   #3
cruiser

Having just passed through there a few weeks back, I say "good luck" to the authorities trying to find you!

There are more little creeks and nooks where you can camp out back in those waters than they could ever patrol without a satellite.

Just keep it moving and don't set up camp in some town for weeks at a time. There is enough there to explore for a nice long winter. It can get chilly (got heat?).

Being from Boston, you'll understand this:

The place is like Maine in a lot of ways, they just have their own confederate flag. Keep to yourself, don't make a spectacle, blend in, and you'll be able to stay the winter without incident.

You can anchor literally everywhere. Look at the chart. It's a twisting mass of creeks, nearly all deep enough to sneak into. Not so many marinas or organized places to deal with... more nature and lack of people in many great spots.

Someone had told me to skip it as well. I might have if I wasn't single handing on my ICW delivery. I'm glad I didn't miss it because it was one of the highlights of the trip.

I also recall complaining about the FL ICW on this board, saying how boring it was. Someone replied saying, "boring? wait until you get to Georgia!" Well, I guess we had different tastes. I loved Georgia and hated FL. Too many houses in FL. In parts of GA, you can't even see a building for days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john landrum View Post
Hello all-

We are planning to set off from the Florida Keys late this year on a slow slog north and would like to spend some time cruising the coast of Georgia. Any advice on anchorages, shoreside destinations, experiences with the authorities (we read something about living aboard being illegal?), good marinas/fuel, etc. would be MOST appreciated. We skipped the entire state on our trip south from Boston and are excited to tuck away for some months this winter. We are cruising on a 33ft steel cutter, with 2 very young daughters- did the ICW from Boston to Marathon three years ago and are only now getting back to crusing life. This will be our new boat/new family shakedown. Thanks for your help!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 05:35   #4

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
I was told by one popular marina in Georgia (that will remain nameless) that they DO NOT allow live-a-boards because that is against Georgia Law. They went on to tell me that they DO however, allow extended transients. I'm not sure that Georgia's no live-a-board law has ever been enforced!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 05:49   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The "Cruisers Net" at Cruisers' Net - Home has lots of good information too.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 07:52   #6

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Going in at St Marys Inlet (FL/GA border), you can up to Cumberland Island, a favorite stop of many. Staying inside, St Andrews Sound can be a bear to get across if wind and tide aren't right, and passing by Jekell Island past the bridge, be very careful to stay in the channel. Some really skinny water there. Golden Isle Marina at St Simons is a convienent stop, and they have a courtesy car, if you need to replenish.

I went back outside from there to the north end of Hilton Head Island. If you stay inside, you will be dealing with some very shallow areas. As mentioned above, Cruiser's Net will have good, up-to-date info along the way. Oh, and I found fuel to be rather expensive in GA.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 15:24   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Anchor on the inside of Cumberland Island and dinghy into shore. It's an awesome place with wild horses and other creatures both on the interior and on the shoreline. Kids should love it.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia