Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2022, 05:44   #16

Re: Cruisers are no longer welcome in Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Lady Lena View Post
Good afternoon cruisers, I have embarked on a post covid trek to Florida to get a jump on the winter cruising season to the Keys and Bahamas; like i've done many times in the past. Except it would appear during the covid epidemic local and state politicians have been raging war against the poor and lower working class!

Sooo where is Florida are you?
And what kind of boat are you sailing?

Though I don’t disagree that south FLORIDA is unkind to the cruising community, I do not think this was a true for the entire state. St Augustine for instance and a gem.

Down in Miami l, it’s kinda sad.
Old 18-09-2022, 05:56   #17

Ditto on the paragraphs. Ouch.
Old 18-09-2022, 06:05   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Just to clarify, if the place in question is Tarpon Basin then the free dock was located at the county building not a private business.
Free dinghy dockage, free water and I believe you may have been able to park your car there for free. That would be the government going above and beyond, but as I said, it only takes a few bad apples.
Old 18-09-2022, 10:44   #19

Don't forget the lightning, hurricanes, tornadoes, alligators, crocodiles, mosquitos, no-seeums, rattle snakes, coral snakes, water moccasins, boa constrictors, and sink holes.

No one should ever move to Florida.
Old 20-09-2022, 06:12   #20

Good Morning, First let me apologize for the "wall" of text and lack of spacing/paragraphing. I was definitely on a rant and I took it that this was a forum not a literary convention!

Second, yes I am in Tarpon Basin, Key Largo not Tarpon Basin. I have been heading south on the ICW.

My reference to marinas was only that they only cater to the ultra wealthy and yes I have found a few that will let you tie up for a fee, but I have found many that I used to stop at now only offer dingy docks for "members only".

My original case I was trying to make is that there used to lots of "public" places you could stop anchor and grab what you need to continue your passage south. I.E. public boat ramps, parks whatever. These have all now been inundated with very strict time limits, or no dingy tie ups. If you people still insist this isn't the case then really I want to know where the correct ICW is so I can start using that! I'm not a trying to be cheap; like I said I'm on a budget and want to enjoy myself wherever I am going to. Everyone knows many minor fees can kill your finances.

Lastly, some of you really need to update your knowledge on anchoring in Florida, yes there is a lot of places you can still anchor for free, but like I was saying it would appear the water front property owner's have finally or partly won the battle of anchoring. I first heard about new anchoring laws from a sheriff in St. Augustine on my way south. Florida's new law S.B 1946 will allow every municipality to set up their own anchor exclusion zones. I have found this to be true since leaving St. Augustine by people with some official capacity in every county since. In Miami, an anchorage I usually hit just north of the port entrance They were already starting the "anchorage field" for use with a fee.

All I'm saying is every place I have hit which was nearly every county on the ICW is now being cut off from anchoring and land access. I have been cruising for years and it has finally gotten unbearable!
Old 20-09-2022, 06:25   #21

One additional thing, I remember years ago when I first started cruising, Florida used to be very welcoming to cruisers and liveaboards alike. Just about every marina that you could go to had liveaboards and people you used to keep in touch with and meet up with as you cruised the following year. Most if not all have been pushed out of marinas and forced to move on land scattered throughout the U.S. This is sad because there was so many fun and nice people I used to hang out with along the way!
Old 20-09-2022, 06:58   #22

I'm calling BS. I spend 6+ months a year in Florida.

1) There are abandoned vessels both floating and sunk up and down the ICW. Not a few, MANY. I don't go anywhere where I can't find less than 1 per mile.

2) There are PLENTY of places to anchor along the ICW. Find any causeway and you'll find plenty of boats anchored either north or south of the causeway (based on wind direction).

3) We land with a 13 foot Boston Whaler all over the place.

What is difficult to find is private property or private marinas which will allow you to land......for free.

What is difficult to find is places to land that a convenient walk to resources (water, groceries, ice, liquor).

You're also not going to be able to just park your RV anywhere in Manhattan either. I guess based on the premise of this thread "Damn NY elitists'" as well, right???
Old 20-09-2022, 07:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What is difficult to find is private property or private marinas which will allow you to land......for free.

What is difficult to find is places to land that a convenient walk to resources (water, groceries, ice, liquor).
Just a question, to anyone familiar with cruising Florida - are there many yacht clubs in Florida, and if so, do they offer reciprocal privileges (short-term stays) to members of other clubs?

In our area (Great Lakes) membership at most yacht clubs has reciprocal privileges, which makes it easy and inexpensive to cruise around the lakes.
Old 20-09-2022, 08:21   #24

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Lady Lena View Post
One additional thing, I remember years ago when I first started cruising, Florida used to be very welcoming to cruisers and liveaboards alike. Just about every marina that you could go to had liveaboards and people you used to keep in touch with and meet up with as you cruised the following year. Most if not all have been pushed out of marinas and forced to move on land scattered throughout the U.S. This is sad because there was so many fun and nice people I used to hang out with along the way!
Thirty five years ago, when I had my CC25, marina users and club members were complaining about liveaboards; boats looking like campers, junky cars in parking lots, etc.
The liveaboard next to us was a dog breeder, you could hear the pups cry day and night.

Goodbye and good riddance to liveaboards
Old 20-09-2022, 08:29   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Thirty five years ago, when I had my CC25, marina users and club members were complaining about liveaboards; boats looking like campers, junky cars in parking lots, etc.
The liveaboard next to us was a dog breeder, you could hear the pups cry day and night.

Goodbye and good riddance to liveaboards
That's more of a marina management problem. Liveaboards, Good ones, are very beneficial to marina's and marina life! I used to be one and as a result of being around all the time we see things going wrong and can step in early. We're also around when people who shouldn't be there start snooping. If you have a good liveaboard community its great fo the marina or Club. But there are always those (same as RV parks and HoA's) that can ruin it for the rest of us!!
Old 20-09-2022, 08:38   #26
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

So your title refers to "Cruisers", which avoids a critical distinction: are you referring to boats navigating or someone treating a boat as a non-navigable residence?

There is still freedom of navigation, and as I read the Fl statutes, you are free to navigate in Florida and anchor as long as you do not stay there during the day at anchor for long periods of time, with few exceptions.

There seems to be good reasons for the restricted zones Title XXIV, Chapter 327.4108:

(1) The following densely populated urban areas, which have narrow state waterways, residential docking facilities, and significant recreational boating traffic, are designated as and shall be considered to be grandfathered-in anchoring limitation areas, within which a person may not anchor a vessel at any time during the period between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, except as provided in 1subsections (4) and (5):
(a) The section of Middle River lying between Northeast 21st Court and the Intracoastal Waterway in Broward County.
(b) Sunset Lake in Miami-Dade County.
(c) The sections of Biscayne Bay in Miami-Dade County lying between:
1. Rivo Alto Island and Di Lido Island.
2. San Marino Island and San Marco Island.
3. San Marco Island and Biscayne Island.

A Florida statute defines a "liveaboard", Title XXIV, Chapter 327.02

"(23) “Live-aboard vessel” means:
(a) A vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation;
(b) A vessel for which a declaration of domicile has been filed pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) A vessel used as a residence that does not have an effective means of propulsion for safe navigation."

The BoatUS Foundation addresses this conflict in an answer sheet: https://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.bo...info-sheet.pdf

I see the point of views of the people who own waterfront homes (on land), and the boats that are actually navigating in narrow, crowded waterways with private docks, not those just living there on the cheap on the water.

Life is not fair. Here is an easy answer: If you do not like it, don't stay in Florida. There is a beautiful world out there, perhaps you try other areas.
Old 20-09-2022, 09:25   #27

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

you didn’t read the post? Just the title? And even that you didn’t read?

They clearly are cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
So your title refers to "Cruisers", which avoids a critical distinction: are you referring to boats navigating or someone treating a boat as a non-navigable residence?

There is still freedom of navigation, and as I read the Fl statutes, you are free to navigate in Florida and anchor as long as you do not stay there during the day at anchor for long periods of time, with few exceptions.

There seems to be good reasons for the restricted zones Title XXIV, Chapter 327.4108:

(1) The following densely populated urban areas, which have narrow state waterways, residential docking facilities, and significant recreational boating traffic, are designated as and shall be considered to be grandfathered-in anchoring limitation areas, within which a person may not anchor a vessel at any time during the period between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, except as provided in 1subsections (4) and (5):
(a) The section of Middle River lying between Northeast 21st Court and the Intracoastal Waterway in Broward County.
(b) Sunset Lake in Miami-Dade County.
(c) The sections of Biscayne Bay in Miami-Dade County lying between:
1. Rivo Alto Island and Di Lido Island.
2. San Marino Island and San Marco Island.
3. San Marco Island and Biscayne Island.

A Florida statute defines a "liveaboard", Title XXIV, Chapter 327.02

"(23) “Live-aboard vessel” means:
(a) A vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation;
(b) A vessel for which a declaration of domicile has been filed pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) A vessel used as a residence that does not have an effective means of propulsion for safe navigation."

The BoatUS Foundation addresses this conflict in an answer sheet: https://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.bo...info-sheet.pdf

I see the point of views of the people who own waterfront homes (on land), and the boats that are actually navigating in narrow, crowded waterways with private docks, not those just living there on the cheap on the water.

Life is not fair. Here is an easy answer: If you do not like it, don't stay in Florida. There is a beautiful world out there, perhaps you try other areas.
Old 20-09-2022, 09:49   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

I am in Florida currently and have spent a lot of time in Florida the last 6 years as a full time cruiser.

I haven't noticed any changes in the 6 years really except that lots of the derelict boats are gone in some places.

The only place I have ever paid to land my dinghy is in the Chesapeake. But I wouldn't assume to be able to use anyone's dock/marina for free except by their kindness.

On the other hand I am happy to see Florida boater rants as that may reduce the competition for the good anchoring spots.
Old 20-09-2022, 09:56   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, it's not like the "good 'ole days" that's for sure.

I can remember anchoring most anywhere I wanted without any problems, issues or visits from the waterway cops.
I seem to recall dockage rates in the early 80's at around 0.50c per foot...quite a jump up to the $18/ft or thereabouts these days.

These days mooring balls are everywhere...etc..etc...

Much the same thing at popular spots in the B'mas.

There is certainly the perception that anyone owning a boat is filthy rich and should be fleeced accordingly.

I can see both sides of the argument though, but can't find a solution to the problem that would make everyone happy.

I used to see dozens of sailboats plying the ICW going either north or south, these days, hardly see one.

Bitching about it is not going to help the situation one bit. You've got to learn to deal with the situation as it is.
Old 20-09-2022, 11:03   #30

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
On the East Coast, the ICW from Daytona to Lake Worth (and maybe elsewhere), has a lot of anchorages that are available and provide ready shore access. Some examples are Titusville (near the barge canal), Cape Canaveral (near the locks), Merritt Island (South end and near 520), Melbourne (near 192), Sebastian (near the spoil islands), Vero Beach/Wabasso (near the causeways), Fort Pierce (just N of the bridge and near the S beach), Stuart (Hooker Point, Manatee Pocket, mooring fields near old town), Jupiter (just N), Lake Worth (though it's not as nice, friendly, or convenient as it used to be); etc. Some of them may require a bike or Uber ride to get to things.
Having transited that area 3 times in the last 18 months I can say that many of the referenced areas are:
1) under construction and not accessible
2) not somewhere you can leave the dink to go shopping etc
3) have a fee associated with or require you be be a cx at a specific business

Not that there's no where to go, but its certainly more limited than I anticipated.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, florida