Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2021, 10:26   #16

Boat: J Boats J/46
Re: Cruise from Florida to Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringFox View Post
As I wrote before, I believe the answer is no but I was wrong before..
Stag or Carib ?
Carib

I’d tend to agree with you, but anything is doable.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 11:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

Better watch out, the BVI might still be confiscating yachts that enter their territorial waters and fining the crap out of the owner and crew.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 12:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnerjohnw View Post
Plan to leave south Florida end of Feb. 2021 via Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, BVIs by June and be ready to get to Grenada in the event of an oncoming storm.
Very limited (if any) info. Available online for private boats.
Concerned I might to planning a nightmare trip due to all the COVID rules
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you.
Beneteau 461
Covid and Planning, well those are two words that do not make for a reliable statement, or an assured voyage.

Check Noonsite for postings from yachties for each relevant country. Changes a lot and is not always accurate.

Do not plan that you can disembark [be sure to have plentiful provisions on board for extended period of time], do recognize that one may not even be allowed to enter the sovereign waterways.

There was discussion regarding Martinique as a possible way station on the way to Grenada.

Per Noonsite:

Yachting Protocols:

03 February, 2021

From February 2nd, if anybody wants to disembark on Martinique they must present a compelling reason – health, business, family – (with evidence) and a negative COVID test result (PCR). Recreational boating is NOT a compelling reason being about as non-essential as non-essential gets during a pandemic.
Otherwise you can sail to and anchor in – but must stay on board and keep at least 50 meters away from any other anchored boat.
All yachts must first request to enter by contacting CROSS AG at least 48 hours before arrival to include:
– A declaration of honor of the compelling motive;
– Documents to justify the motive;
– Covid test results (PCR) carried out less than 72 hours before arrival.
Send to DM Martinique/CROSS AG/chef de quart: fortdefrance.mrcc@developpement-durable.gouv.fr for authorization to enter.
This ban extends to air travel as well.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 12:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Better watch out, the BVI might still be confiscating yachts that enter their territorial waters and fining the crap out of the owner and crew.
The BVI established an exclusion zone around their islands in June 2020 and I believe it still is in place. So yeah, do watch where you transit when one goes towards sovereign waters.

Reference:
https://bvi.org.uk/boaters-advised-n...xclusion-zone/

As to the French overseas territories there is this bit of abrupt news.
February 2 update:
French Prime Minister Jean Castex announced that mainland France is closing its borders to non-EU citizens. French overseas territories like St Barts are NOT exempt to this travel restriction, and as a result, access into St Barts is restricted from Feb 2 onwards.

Things remain very fluid, by way of example for the Turk and Caicos:

FEB 9 UPDATE:
Daily curfew introduced by Ministry of Health for ALL ISLANDS from 6pm – 6am effective 9 February and expires 16 February 2021. No one is allowed to be out of their home.
All businesses on ALL ISLANDS to cease operations at 5pm daily.
Hotel restaurants are exempt and can remain open for the usual hours of operations for guests at their establishment ONLY.
All other bars and restaurants allowed to serve curbside or takeout meals ONLY. No dining in.
No more than 6 persons outside of the same household allowed onboard any pleasure craft or vessel for the purpose of excursions or recreational activity.
These restrictive measures come into effect on 9 February 2021 and will expire on 16 February 2021 unless otherwise announced by the Ministry of Health.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 16:14   #20

Boat: Cal-40

I’m right now at Martinique and just yesterday they closed all French Caribbean islands until further notice. You can’t even travel from one French Island to the next so for now don’t plan any stops to these islands. Of course the situation is very fluid so who knows what shall be the story next week. Seems like that nasty British or South African Covid is here now and that’s the reason they are telling us. We are free to leave our homes and enjoy the island but...... if you leave you will pay hell to get back. All fights to France are also closed.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 03:48   #21

Boat: Beneteau 461 46ft

Thank you all for excellent advice. I have made this voyage 3 times my concern was with COVID-19 rules and regs.
Noonsite.com was an excellent referral.
As a consequence will do a Uturn at Georgetown.......maybe next year?
Best wishes
gardnerjohnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 07:10   #22

Boat: Freedom 32

In my humble opinion we won’t see the BVIs open for normal movement until after June. The Moorings moved it’s operations Red Hook. Only when they announce the move back to Tortola would I trust any “open” notification.

Tags
cruise, florida, Grenada