Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 17:13   #16

Boat: Southerly 115- Amazing Grace
Not only is the rum cheap, but the coconut rum is delicious! Mix it with pineapple juice and ice and you have a "cruisers" pina colada! (Keeping it simple and cheap!)
www.kaykoudele.blogspot.com
Kay Koudele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:18   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
$45.00 for a wad of tobacco....grown by Cuban Slaves......

Puff away comrade

The real irony is the fact that during the Cuban diaspora, some of the best Cuban Cigar makers ended up in Tampa (Fla) and are still making some of the best Cigars, but without slave labor, and a heck of a lot less costly!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Marsh Harbour prices:

Cases of Sands (in cans) as low as $35.00
Cases of Kalik, Guiness, Heineken about $42.50
Case of Corona $44, in 330ml bottles (about 11 oz)

750 ml Baileys Irish Creme $28.00
Most rums around $10-13, Bacardi and Mount Gay more. Lots of brands you've never heard of, I'm afraid to try the cheapest. Currently on a Cruzan dark that's pretty good.

Hard to find Diet Coke. Coke about 75 cents a can. Bottle of Margarita mixer (Cuervo, without booze in it), around $14 if I remember right. Glad I still have some from the states.

If you need to stop in outer islands, I've seen beer prices around $60. I'm hoping things are cheaper in Nassau and I get there before all my supplies run out!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 18:06   #19

Man do we have some cheap people here. If you cannot afford it get a rainwater catch and go with that!
KILLLIONFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 21:24   #20

When I was in Nassau in 94 I bought Mount Gay Rum by the case. Cases of 12 one liter bottles cost me $108 each. The mix almost cost more. Not really but close; Blue Bird grapefruit juice was $5 at the time.
maarty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 21:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The real irony is the fact that during the Cuban diaspora, some of the best Cuban Cigar makers ended up in Tampa (Fla) and are still making some of the best Cigars, but without slave labor, and a heck of a lot less costly!

FWIW...
I like cigars too, and frankly I don't really care who rolls them. No one has a gun at their head forcing them to do it. If you want to carry your reasoning further then you would not have most of the clothes on your back or electronics in your home, since they are all from China. At least the Cuban tobacco workers have health care. Oh yeah, I forgot; you can't legally buy Cubans in he US. Too bad. I bought 50 sticks of Partagas Aristocrats for $180. A trip to Amsterdam can help pay for itself in the duty free on the way back.
maarty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
That is one of the more ridiculous things I've read in awhile. It's a takeoff on the "most interesting man in the world" commercials I guess.

Attention: Those of you with this kind of discretionary income AND CHOOSE TO TELL ALL ABOUT IT: please keep it to youselves. It's not impressing the great unwashed. Beyond that, what's the point?

Where's the normal folk's forum?
Not meant to impress or get people inflamed?!?! I was just stating a fact in reference to the other post and his enjoyment of smoke and alcohol.. I'm with maarty10, I love how people jump on the easy targets of supposed PC stuff like cigars, etc. Most of these people who go out of their way to point out those items are themselves wearing illegal cheap knock-offs of brands and jeans, etc..

I have to admit that your statement is one of the most immature things that I've ever read. If you think cigar is obnoxiously extravagant, I look forward to never being your friend as I fear the "gifts" that you think are amazing?!?!

Bottom line, I feel you should keep those insecure thoughts to yourself as I always make it a point to except everyone for who and what they are... That is until they make themselves known for the caliber of person they belong...

P.S. I actually don't consume beer (except for guiness once in a while) and I think spending hundreds on cases of them is obscene, but I don't shout it from the top of the roofs like you....
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:17   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Dumb+++ smokers

I was at a Greek festival in Vallejo a couple of weeks ago. There was some dumb+++ smoking a +++++++ cigar 50 feet upwind, ruining my lunch.

This last weekend my hotel room in Sacramento smelled heavily of tobacco even though all rooms were presumably smokeless. Had to wait 'til the wee hours to get a substitute room so as to go to sleep.

I can't imagine anchoring in a pristine bay, finding myself anywhere down wind of a smoker, without praying his boat would sink.

Too bad many smokers are ignorant of their widespread effect.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:38   #24

Actually markpierce, I have never smoked cigs and can't stand the smell of them either!! I only smoke a cigar perhaps once a week (weekend) or after a huge project, beyond that, it's not a daily routine.. But I fully agree, I hate the smell of smoke embedded in hotels, clothes, etc.. It's a rare choice for me, not an addiction or habit..

Unlike real smokers (mine is infrequent), I'm actually considerate of others and NEVER smoke anywhere near anyone, especially in public and near people. My place and my friend's places are remote and no one can hear us or smell smoke...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:56   #25

Boat: O'Day 28
Shadow: I swear I don't give a fig about when and how often you smoke whatever materials you choose.

Nor do I care about the poor Cuban cigar makers. As another poster noted the same cigars are available in Tampa, (and along Calle Ocho in Miami for a fraction of the cost.)

But buying those wouldn't have the same bragging rights as paying $45-70 per stick, as you well know. That was my point: bragging in public.

However, it was inappropriate of me to mention it. I apologize. I'd have removed the post but by then the opportunity to edit had passed by.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:49   #26

I thought this thread was about booze?
KILLLIONFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 16:49   #27

Boat: o'day 302
bahamas we bring our own beer and buy their rum.i would rather pay 50cents a can in florida and six bucks a litre for rum in bahamas.its just good math.also the cream rum from bahamas is great in coffee.baileys is pricey there.we brought just over 700 cans of busch with us,and it hurt having to start paying 40 a case for kalik once that ran out...so stock up!
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 17:06   #28

"we brought just over 700 cans of Busch with us"

countrybimm,
How long did 700 cans last?
I was thinking of taking 500 or so.....
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 17:24   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour52993 View Post
Marsh Harbour prices:

Cases of Sands (in cans) as low as $35.00
Cases of Kalik, Guiness, Heineken about $42.50
Case of Corona $44, in 330ml bottles (about 11 oz)
My god, they're almost as bad as Canada!

Case of Bud at the government controlled liqueur store was $48 this summer. And US dollar was at par plus an exchange fee. Why is it that beer is expensive in third world countries?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 17:45   #30

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Cruzan was pretty cheap in the USVI a few yrs back...4-5 bucks a fifth if I remember right..of course Unca Spam's Kanoe Klub doesn't send me cool places like that any more...

Tags
Bahamas