Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 16:47   #16

Boat: Ranger 33'
Re: Conditions in the Caribbean for kayaking

Bo! get your ass in that circumstances. In respond to _steady hand_
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, what one person refuses to do, another may try, and may succeed. That is why I generally try not to discourage folks from trying.

Here is a link to some extraordinary examples of long distance sea kayaking. Some remarkable or noteworthy adventures.

https://sarahlovesamy.wordpress.com/...dler-magazine/

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 19:29   #18

I've done a fair bit of sea-kayaking in Northern Atlantic Canadian waters, it would be nice to kayak in the warm waters of the western Caribbean.

South America to Florida? Certainly lots of challenge there. A Canadian named Don Starkell did it the other way in the longest canoe trip recorded by Guinness.

Coming the other way along the western coast of the Caribbean would be arduous, but not impossible.

Good luck!
Karma1.Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 04:04   #19

In my country the equivalent to the Coast Guard does not allow long trips in kayaks. Too many attempts end up in rescue operations or missing kayaks.

The reasonable -- and still challenging -- option would be to follow a coastal route, with day stages and camping at night. It might take you years, though, as is much longer.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 06:27   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Solo in a kayak, no support boat -- the crossings are multi-day events that have a huge risk factor.

BUT, read up on a guy names Verlen Kruger- he did a crossing to The Dry Tortugas in two catamaraned Kruger Dreamcatchers. Alone they are not great Water boats">blue water boats, but made into a cat they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 06:51   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
In my country the equivalent to the Coast Guard does not allow long trips in kayaks. Too many attempts end up in rescue operations or missing kayaks.

The reasonable -- and still challenging -- option would be to follow a coastal route, with day stages and camping at night. It might take you years, though, as is much longer.
Does not allow? What about freedom? In the USA they cant stop you. Its your right to do it.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:27   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Does not allow? What about freedom? In the USA they cant stop you. Its your right to do it.
Actually "they" can and sometimes do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 15:15   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

For all of you guys saying this trip is nuts...

These guys just did it: Henry Kayak 2013 Two young local boys from Canada. Only they also started at the Amazon River and went all the way up from the coast from Brazil before jumping across to Florida.

No support boat and carried all their gear. Quite the adventure.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 16:15   #24

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

What no one has touched upon here is that actually, physically, logistically doing this expedition is probably NOT the most concerning part. For me it would be the safety of the kayaker(s). Obviously you will be pulling in or landing onshore many times and it is there that your most serious concerns lie. There are MANY places and areas in Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, and especially Honduras where you do NOT want to be. Put as much research into how you are going to be safe at night as anything. Other than that .....good luck. Keep us informed.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:24   #25

A friend of mine has done it; from Palm Beach Florida all the way to the Bahamas and down to Acklins Island, in two open kayaks. They did not have any accompanying boat, and got criticised by many folks afterwards.

I'm sure conditions would have to be favourable or it would be very uncomfortable if not a battle for survival.
bermudarigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 04:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Navigation is regulated here, much as US freeways. You need authorization from PNN, the local "coast guard". It's done via VHF communication. Of course you could cheat (and a few do), but then you are exposed to lot of bad things, such as fines or permit suspension.

Freedom is a funny thing, I can go to any country in the world without interference from the government, unlike US citizens.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Kayak, rib