Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2010, 10:58   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
This thread is drifting somewhat.
Back to the OP.

If you have a strong enough chain and a big enough lock. You can dock your dinghy anywhere you wish. Rarely do you return to your dinghy to find a 'V' cut in the transom and your locked outboard missing.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
I never said don't go there.... The bottom line is always the "common sense" portion of the equation.
very true , sorry I drifted , but you get my point. While transiting I learned from the one of the locals who did 4 previous transits with me that another one , who had done the last with us , had been shot in the head at a football match in Colon , some score settling of sorts .Definitely the roughness of that part of the world is not to be taken lightly .
And coming back to the original question , I guess it's pretty much answered:
go straight to the enclave/ compound at Shelter Bay and keep your tender on the davits or wherever it is you keep it.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:29   #33

Admittedly it's 3 years since I was last in Panama, when we stayed for around 14 months. Cruising the San Blas, in Shelter bay and anchored on the Flats.

Yes we heard all the horror stories, both from cruiser's and locals. Certainly there are no-go areas in Colon as there are in all cities throughout the world.

We bought a car whilst there, am old beater, and I regularly drove, alone, from Shelter bay into town. Did all the shopping, went to lunch etc etc. I NEVER had a moments fear, not once. Yes there are guys with big guns on every corner, just like the rest of Central America, but when I broke down once in a very iffy part of Colon everyone was so helpful.

I'm over 50, white and female!! I never tried to jog through the town, used taxis when we were visiting immigration offices etc and didn't look well-heeled. Maybe I was lucky, maybe it ain't that bad.

Sure if you want to be well dressed, flash a wad then this is not the place for you. If you can keep your eyes open and listen to real local knowledge I don't see why you need to be so afraid. It's not a beautiful place but over the time we spent there I grew very fond of Colon and its inhabitants. What a pity to miss it.

As I say, maybe it's all changed, I really hope not!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:41   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Dont worry, SaltyMonkey has your back, and will make transit deposits for you at 10% per deposit.

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:09   #35

I'm back in Panama , just transited to the Pacific and wanted to give an update on the subject of this thread.
There is an option to Shelter Bay Marina , it's to anchor at the Club Nautico on the East side of the harbour by the Manzanillo container terminal and go ashore there.They charge $5 a day to park the tenders , there's reasonable security in the place , it's walking distance to a supermarket and taxis are plentiful.There's also a restaurant , some basic chandlery and fuel.
The downside is that you are anchored in a busy port , so there's constant shipping and it rolls a lot.
There's talk of new facilities for the Panama Canal Yacht Club half a mile down from the old site, if it happens it will take a while.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46   #36
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thanks J. That lifts my spirits a bit in knowing things may be coming back and its less stressful than rumours
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:47   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ventura View Post
I'm back in Panama , just transited to the Pacific and wanted to give an update on the subject of this thread.
There is an option to Shelter Bay Marina , it's to anchor at the Club Nautico on the East side of the harbour by the Manzanillo container terminal and go ashore there.They charge $5 a day to park the tenders , there's reasonable security in the place , it's walking distance to a supermarket and taxis are plentiful.There's also a restaurant , some basic chandlery and fuel.
The downside is that you are anchored in a busy port , so there's constant shipping and it rolls a lot.
There's talk of new facilities for the Panama Canal Yacht Club half a mile down from the old site, if it happens it will take a while.
Thanks for taking the time to come back and let people know what you found.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 12:17   #38

Boat: Trimarans!
Re: Colon, Panama Dinghy Dock

Just “did the deed” at Colón Citibank earlier. $3280 in cash (anyone <65ft LOA now, of which $1060 some is a deposit).

Anchored outside Club Nautico. Not awesome, little space and work boats demanding you move. We (54x42ft) found a spot though, the stern was 20 feet from a rocky wall.If your dinghy can make the 1.3nm trip from Isla Margarita by the breakwave - it looked relaxing unlike anything else there. Club Nautico sent us to a beach just left (South) of it. They spoke of unspecified charges for using their grounds, without which you can’t even be just dropped off and get out of their gate. The beach was okay, but I guess I wouldn’t leave a dinghy there. Uber to Citi was $2.2 before tip (use Quarantena across the street as your destination, if you’re paranoid like me). The streets of Colon look sketchy. Not dangerous, just poor. Can see how this might lead p to temptation. a lot of taxis swarming the city. Still feel that Uber was a better choice.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama