Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 14:44   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Closest beaches around NYC where I can anchor

Hey guys,

My sailboat is in Jersey City, NJ, right outside of New York City. I want to be able to get to a beach, anchor, and take the dinghy to the beach. What are some of the closest beaches where you can anchor and actually go swimming in semi-clean water.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 14:59   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Closest beaches around NYC where I can anchor

There is a very nice spot called horseshoe cove inside Sandy Hook about 2/3 of the way to the river. depending on what you draw, might be a possibility. you might also be able to anchor up. dinghy ashore and walk to the beach on the Atlantic

side.https://activecaptain.garmin.com/pois/19134
Old 26-05-2018, 18:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
There is a very nice spot called horseshoe cove inside Sandy Hook about 2/3 of the way to the river. depending on what you draw, might be a possibility. you might also be able to anchor up. dinghy ashore and walk to the beach on the Atlantic

side.https://activecaptain.garmin.com/pois/19134

Awesome!! I draw 6 feet. Just looked at it. Looks good!! Thank you!

Also, someone told me about Coney Island.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	170574

Can’t wait [emoji3]
Old 26-05-2018, 20:14   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Water still a little cold...
Coney Island ? not advisable to anchor and leave boat and come ashore thru ocean surf.
If Long Island Sound a option, water cleans up further east you go plenty of spots.
And if have the time go into Gardiners bay and the Peconics ...pick a beach.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:47   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Hey guys,

My sailboat is in Jersey City, NJ, right outside of New York City. I want to be able to get to a beach, anchor, and take the dinghy to the beach. What are some of the closest beaches where you can anchor and actually go swimming in semi-clean water.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds!
Probably on Long Island Sound or maybe the Atlantic Highlands. The south shore of S.I. may be clean enough today.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

You can also anchor inside Jamaica Bay on the Rockaway side, dingy ashore and either beach in the bay or walk across to the ocean.
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:24   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There are a number of spots on Staten Island that may work for you. You may also like the great south bay. It's thin water but since Hurricane Sandy it's been a lot cleaner due to the new inlet. The nice thing is that it's protected so you don't have to worry about surf.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:57   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Any of the NYC "south shore" beaches will be problematic. State parks, and IIRC city beaches as well, do not allow any type of watercraft in the swimming areas, so you can't dinghy ashore, at all. And you'd have the boat rolling in the waves trying to break anchor.

Other than Sandy hook (which technically is federal land in NJ, not NY) you might have to go up to LI Sound to find some of the spots where you can make land in a dinghy, and have some shelter from the rolls of the Atlantic.

Inside the Great South Bay, a lot of the water is just too thin--and again, beaching anything except your body is often not allowed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:23   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Any of the NYC "south shore" beaches will be problematic. State parks, and IIRC city beaches as well, do not allow any type of watercraft in the swimming areas, so you can't dinghy ashore, at all. And you'd have the boat rolling in the waves trying to break anchor.

Other than Sandy hook (which technically is federal land in NJ, not NY) you might have to go up to LI Sound to find some of the spots where you can make land in a dinghy, and have some shelter from the rolls of the Atlantic.

Inside the Great South Bay, a lot of the water is just too thin--and again, beaching anything except your body is often not allowed.
Ditto on most of that. The MPs would chase us off of the back of Sandy Hook. The Great South Bay was a mud flat. Port Jefferson and Lloyd's Neck had nice protected beaches. Days of yore so take it for what it is worth.

ssuth Bay
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:53   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
... I draw 6 feet. Just looked at it. Looks good!! ... someone told me about Coney Island. ]
Horseshoe Cove behind The Hook is probably the only practical solution for you. Anchoring anywhere along the south shore of Long Island is simply not going to be pleasant, and perhaps even unsafe depending on conditions, traffic, your technique, and a host of other factors.

You could look into the Twin Rivers area (Navesink and Schrewsbury) where we spent time last summer. Very sweet. For swimmers the issue there might be nettles, but folks do indeed swim on the Navesink and there are several small beaches that get some use. Six feet is no problem all the way to Red Bank.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20   #11

Just this last weekend we anchored in/near horseshoe cove.

One thing to mind in this area ... charts are OK but not 100% accurate. You need to go slow and pay attention to your depth readings.

And of course figure for high/low tides. We anchored at about 10ft and when we left it was around 7, which is close to us running aground, but we have a swing keel.

However, I wouldn't really want to swim in the horseshoe cove water. Lots of garbage and the water doesn't look too clean

There are anchorages on the Atlantic side, all along the coast. I assume this is mostly going to be full of fishing boats but I haven't been there yet. I think that is our next destination for a calm day.

Edit: we brought the boat down from Haverstraw, NY for some adventure. Hudson is still a little cold up there, but in July, August, and September it reaches near 80 degrees!

If you're looking for some place to anchor and swim every weekend... well the bay up there is the easiest anchorage. Consistent 10-15 feet depth, mile wide, several miles long, and you can anchor close to shore - though you're not allowed within 500ft (I believe) with a motorcraft.

Not much else to do up there with regards to sailing. You can have fun but you're limited to sailing up and down the river. Only a few restaurants, and even fewer that you can get a sailboat into
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01   #12

Boat: Pearson 303

Great timing, we're looking for basically the same for a long weekend getaway this weekend.

We're by la Guardia so the sound is easier, but we'd love to check out a new place with either anchor or mooring balls.

Done some places along the long island side, but curious about captains islands, Norwalk area and generally the Connecticut side to explore something new.
Swimmable water would be a huge plus, but probably too early right now.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 18:00   #13

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Horseshoe Cove has a lot of spots filled in after Sandy , also avoid the numerous fish traps

Port Jefferson is a neat place to anchor in the outer cover by Mt Misery. There is a beach there.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:54   #14

Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the info... I know it's been a while.

Last weekend was awesome weather and decided to leave Jersey City and sail down to Sandy Hook. Once past the Verrazzano Bridge, wind picked up and had a beautiful sail down to Horseshoe Cove. Soooo many boats out there last weekend. Temperature was in the 70's!!

Did a solo sail... took about 3 hours, door to door... or should I say, marina to anchor

I left Saturday afternoon... Anchored in about 12 feet... anchor held well overnight. Left the next day in the afternoon. Made myself a nice pasta dinner... had a bottle of wine... watched the sunset. All solo... loved it!!

Sunset and location photos below... will definitely go back

Old 07-05-2020, 09:50   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the info... Last weekend was awesome weather and decided to leave Jersey City and sail down to Sandy Hook ... Did a solo sail... took about 3 hours, door to door... Anchored in about 12 feet... anchor held well overnight. Left the next day in the afternoon. Made myself a nice pasta dinner... had a bottle of wine... watched the sunset. All solo... loved it!! ...
I responded to you earlier about the anchorage at Horseshoe Cove. I'm not at all a regular visitor, but the anchorage is, under most conditions, a suitable and safe stop. Glad you liked it.

Please send my consulting fee via PayPal (smile).

Tags
anchor, nyc