Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2021, 12:28   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Clearing customs leaving Bahamas

Taking friends boat from Abacos to New England. Does anyone know where we can clear out from any other place than Marsh Harbour?

If we get a north wind, we were told to go west to Rosie's place, but don't know if we clear at Marsh if you can go back 'in' again without clearing in and then out.

Finally, if on my visa application if I put Marsh as my checkout, does it really make a difference if I clear at some other place?

TIA.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 17:01   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Clearing customs leaving Bahamas

We checked out in green turtle. The lady came from across in abaco(treasure cay I think). Mrs Chase is her name. She does Rosie's as well, but it is a longer trip for her to go there. She encourages people to check out in green turtle so it's more efficient.
She also told us not to stress about the 24 hour time limit. Within reason of course
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:22   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I will probably get chastised here for saying this, but I have cruised the Bahamas four different times since 2009 on my own boats and have never checked out of the country when leaving. I have not had any issues as a result of this when I have re-entered the Bahamas. Last time I entered the Bahamas was March 2020. YMMV.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:51   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I will probably get chastised here for saying this, but I have cruised the Bahamas four different times since 2009 on my own boats and have never checked out of the country when leaving. I have not had any issues as a result of this when I have re-entered the Bahamas. Last time I entered the Bahamas was March 2020. YMMV.
Yeah, you need a visa to get into the country, showing passport etc with covid status. So that is logged into a computer database which I am sure is accessible to the world.

So if you clear into the Bahamas with your passport and don't clear out, when you get on a plane to fly to whatever foreign country for a visit, pretty sure red flags will get raised when it shows you are still in the Bahamas. Also, your visa into the Bahamas is only valid for several months, if you don't clear out, you are then there illegally.

I will follow their laws and clear out legally, and clear back into the US legally. I am not particularly fond of wearing orange jumpsuits with numbers stenciled on the back. Just not that stylish on me.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:55   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
This year we were told repeatedly that laws were changed and you must check out.
It is simple, and costs nothing.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 12:29   #6

This link may help to understand what is NOW required. I have no link to site.

https://www.bahamas.com/getting-here/boating/boat-regulations

Check in/out North of Marsh.

GTC you need to call customs to come to island. Ask on island for phones numbers.

Coopers Town port. North of Coopers Town.

Spanish. There a fee. Private island

Rosie

West end.

Hope it helps.
Wild Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 12:49   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We checked out a couple months ago so this is not the most recent info. We were at Manjack and I called (I think it was Mrs. Chase) just to enquire what the procedure would be as we wanted to check out five days later. She said she was at Green Turtle and just to come over and take care of it then so we wouldn't have to coordinate later with her schedule. She left the date open on the form for us to fill in when we were actually leaving the country and said this was no problem within reason, and to not overstay our cruising permit (which expired seven days later).
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 14:29   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 38

We recently checked out at Rosies on Little Grand Key. We called ahead to coordinate with the customs official. It was pleasant and simple.

The port of departure can be different than what was on your entry visa. Dont worry about this.
Old 13-06-2021, 17:47   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

Laws change.......these have. Checkout is now required
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 05:09   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Laws change.......these have. Checkout is now required
Well there you have it.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 05:54   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

I checked out in April at Spanglish Cay. You can also do across the way at North Abaco Harbor (China Harbor) or Rosie's, I think after that it is West End.
Old 20-06-2021, 20:34   #12

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Not ABACOS but we checked out a couple weeks ago at Bimini. We went to their office filled out the paperwork, got stamped. Easy, free, done. They didn’t even want to see our ammo & pistol.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, customs