Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2010, 07:02   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Chris Parker's SW North Atlantic Weather Nets

Folks planning to jump over to the Bahamas or those already there or further down in the Caribbean might be interested in this...

I just received this email from Chris Parker, announcing the times and frequencies for his daily weather discussions. He covers the Bahamas, T&Cs and the entire Caribbean. You'll obviously need an SSB receiver or transceiver to listen in.

I used his for-fee personal weather forecasting service on a passage from St Thomas to the Tampa Bay area a year and a half ago. His forecasts were right on the money and he was very helpful in discussing options when weather developments caused us to change our planned route.

Even if you don't use his personalized service, listening in on his weather nets will be very helpful and educational.

Hud

Quote:
Wx Update, SSB Net Schedule, Sun14, 8p
The US completed its semi-annual ritual of changing time this weekend. We therefore make the normal change to the SSB Net schedule, as follows:
Nets conducted 6 days/week, Monday through Saturday, except also Sundays when Tropical or other severe weather threatens.
SUMMER:
Effective during US Daylight Saving Time (Monday March 15, 2010 to Saturday, November 5, 2010), the Spring / Summer schedule:
4045 USB 6:30am AST / EDT, 1030 UTC
8137 USB 7:00am AST / EDT, 1100 UTC
4045 USB 8:00am AST / EDT, 1200 UTC
8104 USB 8:30am AST / EDT, 1230 UTC
12350 USB 9:15am AST / EDT, 1315 UTC
6221 USB 9:30am AST / EDT, 1330 UTC
When Tropical weather has the potential to threaten any interests I'm aware of (and occasionally during periods of Spring & Fall migration), we'll conduct an evening Net, usually on 8104 USB at 7:00pm AST / EDT, 2300 UTC, unless announced otherwise.
NOTES:
--Since I do not have a Net preceding the 1st 4045 Net, I should start that Net on-time. I will end the 1st 4045 Net within 5 minutes after 7am, so I can start the Net on 8137 before it gets too late. Propagation to the Bahamas on the 1st 4045 Net will probably not be good until April when the sun begins rising earlier. Bahamas vessels may do better on the 2nd 4045 Net, or on 8104 or 6221. Feel free to use ANY Net, but I'll generally call for vessels underway...then vessels located other-than-in-the-Bahamas...then anyone about-to-get-underway before I open-it-up to general Bahamas check-ins.
--E Caribbean folks may continue to hear me best on 8137, but feel free to try ANY of the Nets.
--W Caribbean folks check-in on all the Nets equally (and sporadically), except rarely on 6221...6221 should work well to the W Caribbean mid-morning, but propagation (like weather) is not always as it's supposed to be.
Thank you for your continuing support!...Chris.
Old 15-03-2010, 08:03   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I just returned from a Bahamas cruise and found Chris's 6:30 report extremely helpful. I could pick it up when there were no VHF or phone reports available. I found his reports to be very accurate and also liked that he doesn't just give wind direction and speed, but also discusses the weather systems driving the weather.

Thanks for the post Hud.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Chris Parker