Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 05:23   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Chesapeake Folks - Worried About Earl ?

I know it's early... but are any other Chesapeake folks worried about Earl? Should I be? Hurricane EARL

I am too damn pregnant to help move this tub-o-fiberglass off the dock and to a hole. And I hear that drops in barometric pressure can trigger labor... just what I need.

(schoonerdog's wife, Cindy)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
It's hard to know yet, but definitely worth keeping a weather eye on him. The NWS is forecasting closest approach at N. Carolina, but that can change.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:52   #3

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I know it's early... but are any other Chesapeake folks worried about Earl? Should I be? Hurricane EARL

I am too damn pregnant to help move this tub-o-fiberglass off the dock and to a hole. And I hear that drops in barometric pressure can trigger labor... just what I need.

(schoonerdog's wife, Cindy)
Hopefully, our area will be okay. Good luck with your pregancy! If it's a boy you could name it Earl...
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 06:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Yeah, but just think of he stories you could tell your kid. "You were born on a boat, in the middle of a hurricane!"....

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:36   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Spoke with a friend of mine this AM who is on the East Coast of Sint Maarten. She said the winds were over 100mph from the North during the night and are now going west to southwest. Suprisingly, the electricity is still on. Only minor damage where she is; some palm fronds blowing around and shingles missing. Oyster Pond is ok, no news about Simpson Lagoon. Should be a lot of rain here by the weekend.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:43   #6

Boat: Catalina 30
We are in St. Croix and my Beneteau 51 live aboard is in Nanny Cay on the hard for sal. So far all is well there. We are getting wind and rain. Not serious. It pays to live a little farther south.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:56   #7

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I'm a little worried...I'm out of town and my boat is in the leeward marina at newport news...I'm hoping Earl shears off well south and east...Need a fresh front coming from the northeast.
Old 30-08-2010, 11:26   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Cindy,

Watching but not even close to worried. All the models show Earl staying offshore. We may well see some sustained North winds and low water at the docks, but unless something changes in the next day or so we are going to be fine.

You may recall I am across Back Creek from you. If you get stressed and need some weather geek input (can't possibly be worse than the weather-guessers) of a delivery skipper let me know.

P.S. Thanks for the CSA input - life has gotten in the way and I haven't gotten back to you yet.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:32   #9

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Cindy,

Watching but not even close to worried. All the models show Earl staying offshore. We may well see some sustained North winds and low water at the docks, but unless something changes in the next day or so we are going to be fine.

You may recall I am across Back Creek from you. If you get stressed and need some weather geek input (can't possibly be worse than the weather-guessers) of a delivery skipper let me know.

P.S. Thanks for the CSA input - life has gotten in the way and I haven't gotten back to you yet.
A delivery skipper?!?! Perfect in case I go into early labor and need some delivery help aboard the boat

Thanks for the info and calm words. Let's hope the drop in barometric pressure doesn't suck the baby right out of me.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:15   #10

And the Chesapeake Bay Magazine said "Here in Annapolis, we’re keeping an eye on the Naval Academy fleet; if it moves up the Severn River, we’ll know to expect trouble!"

Although, I don't think you can see them from Back Creek.
Old 30-08-2010, 16:57   #11

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I know it's early... but are any other Chesapeake folks worried about Earl? Should I be?
No, not really.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 17:49   #12

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Not on the Chessie, but the 1938 hurricane Long Island Express, was expected to blow out to sea, but instead turned due north at the last minute, accelerated to 70 mph, and devastated the south shore of LI as a category 3.

So yes, I'm always worried.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 07:09   #13

I just saw this posted on the Chesapeake Bay Magazine website. It's not addressing the Annapolis area, but still...

Kitty

"Coast Guard sets port condition Whiskey for Hampton Roads

The Coast Guard Captain of the Port has set port condition Whiskey for Hampton Roads in preparation of Hurricane Earl. Port condition Whiskey is set when hurricane force winds are expected within 72 hours.

During the next 24 hours the Coast Guard will identify and track all vessels in port, establish contact with emergency management agencies at the local, state and federal levels, and work closely with port and industry officials to minimize damage in the event the storm impacts Hampton Roads.

The Coast Guard requests that the public listen to weather information available from other sources and not call the Coast Guard for weather information.

For additional information on the storm, visit the National Hurricane Center website http://www.nhc.noaa.gov."
Old 31-08-2010, 07:41   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This might mess with my weekend plans.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:59   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I was planning to drive from Annapolis to Florida this weekend. May be a wet drive.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote