Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 19:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Charters North from St. Lucia?

We just finished a 10 day charter in early February on a Lagoon 420 from St. Lucia south to Grenada then back via St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Overall we did 300 nautical miles, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

We are seriously considering chartering the same boat again mid January 2014 and this time heading north to take in Martinique, Dominica and Guadaloupe.

Two Questions I have are:

- What cruising guides are recommended for Dominica and Guadaloupe? I have Chris Doyle's Cruiser's Guide to the Windward Islands so Martinique is covered.

- We realize that Dominica and Guadaloupe aren't as developed as St. Lucia and south, so for those of you that have been there, what should we expect? (I can't find much on any of the forums.) Our group has no problem being off the beaten track. We sailed from La Paz north to Loreto in the Sea of Cortez for example, and loved that.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 00:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Re: Charters North from St. Lucia?

The French islands are the richest in the West Indies. They are overseas departments of mainland France. Euros, decent roads, 220v electric, decent bread, distinctive rum. Don't miss Isles de Saintes.

Dominica is one of our favourite islands. Unpretentious, superb diving, jungle and vulcanism in abundance.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 00:48   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Doyle's guide to the Leewards.

There isn't really any difference in the levels of sophistication between the Windwards and the Leewards. Dominica is probably the least developed island but it is not significantly less developed than much of St Lucia.

I second sestina's recommendation of Isles des Saintes. My favourite place in the whole Caribbean.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

We loved Dominica. Great reef off the south end ("Champagne" reef - volcanic bubbles coming up out of the coral warms the water)

But Roseau wasnt much fun. We liked it far better at Portsmouth on the north end. Excellent anchorage and good organization by the boat boys for security and services. Not pushy either time we went there but able to connect you with anything you like including tours, customs, etc. Customs was truly excellent - You check in and out at the same time. No need to return unless you stay longer than two weeks or you change crew while there.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
....Dominica is one of our favourite islands. Unpretentious, superb diving, jungle and vulcanism in abundance.
Spock from Star Trek is there? COOL!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Doyle's guide to the Leewards.
For some reason I didn't think he had that one. It's coming to me from Amazon now.

Nice suggestions on the Iles des Saintes. That looks excellent and will be one stop for sure.

Any others with suggestions on bays, beaches, towns or sights that we should add to our "must see/must do" list cruising Martinique, Dominica and Guadaloupe?
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote