Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 08:48   #1

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Chartering a Sailboat

My wife does not have a lot of sailing experience, but she is willing to give cruising a try.
I on the other hand has sailed a lot and we even own a sailboat which we use for weekend sailing in Nova Scotia.
I think, if I can get her hooked, she may be willing to try extended cruising and .......here is the question.
Can anyone give me some contacts in the BVI, USVirgins .... or anywhere easely accessable in the Caribean, where I can charter a sailboat for 2 weeks to get her a taste of sailing in wrm clean/clear water?
I am not partiqularly inteerested in going to the Moorings, Sunsail, or the likes....
Old 13-10-2009, 09:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
For beginning cruising, I recommend SW Florida. Friendly, safe and lots of places to duck into if the weather gets bad. There is a few charter companies out of St. Pete and Ft. Myers that I would recommend. If you are interested PM me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 09:35   #3

Not sure why you dont want to use those companies....? Are you looking for a captained charter? The BVI or US Virgins would be a great place for her to try.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The BVIs are a classic, east to get to destination with reliable conditions. The sailing is straight forward with very few hazards. I've always used the Moorings, but I know some people have said the had a good experience with BVI yacht charters. The Moorings, Sunsail and Footloose are now all owned by Tui Marine.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:11   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I used Island Yachts in Red Hook, St. Thomas, and TMM in Road Harbour, Tortola a number of years ago. Both are small companies with a personal approach. They both were great to deal with and the boats were top rate (Island Packet at IY, and Moody at TMM). I've continued to hear good things about both companies in recent years. The Virgin Islands are an ideal spot to give your wife a taste of cruising. Plenty of calm, beautiful anchorages, and restaurants ashore when you want to go that route. I chartered an IP 380 from Island Yachts for two weeks back in 2003 for the same reason you mentioned. My wife wasn't sure she would like cruising for long periods. Turns out that when the two weeks were up, she didn't want to get off the boat!
Old 13-10-2009, 10:28   #6

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
This sounds very encouraging maybe I should look at the bigger companies... maybe get a better deal?
Something I've never tried.....What do you think of sharing a charter with another couple (or maybe 3 couples together - share the cost of a 45 - 50 ft sailboat). The combined sailing experience between the friends and I are most likely 60 years ()
Old 13-10-2009, 14:02   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic de Beer View Post
This sounds very encouraging maybe I should look at the bigger companies... maybe get a better deal?
Something I've never tried.....What do you think of sharing a charter with another couple (or maybe 3 couples together - share the cost of a 45 - 50 ft sailboat). The combined sailing experience between the friends and I are most likely 60 years ()
Get some quotes from both small and large companies for both small boats and boats big enough for 2-3 couples. You can then consider the price differences for the companies and cost per head for just the two of you and having others aboard. Getting quotes cost you nothing, but a little time.

I frequently see couples sharing a charter with other couples.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 14:16   #8

I have shared charters a few times, but always with people I know. Even so, it can add to the stress level a little , so know who you charter with....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 14:22   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Try Conch Charters in Roadtown, BVI. They're quite flexible, unlike some of the larger companies. Run by Canadians if that means anything. To get some idea of the goings on in the charter business try Traveltalk online.
Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
Old 13-10-2009, 14:28   #10
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
I never used them myself, but I've heard good things about these folks:

Caribbean Charters, charter boats caribbean, caribbean vacations sailing by Ed Hamilton Yacht Charters
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:11   #11

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

We charted with Island Yachts and I would use them again without any hesitation. Their limitation is the fleet is entirely Island Packets if that is an issue for you.

craig in windy and rainy seattle
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
If you are looking for the type of boat. I definetly like chartering Island Packets. Seaworthy, beautiful. and fun.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:01   #13

Boat: Tartan 37
If you're looking for a cat (good starter for the wife and you. No heal and less draft to worry about) BVI Yacht Charter, Tortola Sailing Charter, Sailing Vacations, Catamaran Charter - Barecat