Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:44   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Charlotte Harbor

Folks,

I will be spending a few days in Charlotte Harbor in a week or so. I have read Claiborne Young's guide, checked ActiveCaptain, and completed my other usual research. I figured it was time to ask the forum if they had any suggestions for must see things. Also, any recommendations for bars and restaurants (especially bars) will be much appreciated. We will be anchoring out the whole time, so anchorages and dinghy dock information is much appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance.

Best,
Jeff
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Charlotte Harbor

Here are my three favoirites in that area:

1. Boca Grande- Enter a narrow inlet from C H between R2 and G3 and then make a sharp right and stay to the port side as you come in. There is one low spot- maybe 5 1/2 at low. Then the inlet opens up into a wide area. Drop your anchor in the middle and tie your stern to the mangroves. The dinghy dock at the N end will let you take a short walk to this upscale town.

2. Cayo Costo State Park, Pelican Bay- Enter the inlet and hug starboard shore. Then the bay opens up wide. Anchor almost anywhere, except for a high spot- about 4' at low in the middle. Dinghy to the state dinghy dock and walk to the beach. No bar, little services, but peaceful.

3. Cabbage Key- Turn west at G61 and proceed down the channel for a 1/4 mile or so. The marina lets lunch patrons and maybe dinner patrons tie up for free. The restaurant is one of many that claim rights to Buffet's cheeseburger in paradise.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Here are my three favoirites in that area:

1. Boca Grande- Enter a narrow inlet from C H between R2 and G3 and then make a sharp right and stay to the port side as you come in. There is one low spot- maybe 5 1/2 at low. Then the inlet opens up into a wide area. Drop your anchor in the middle and tie your stern to the mangroves. The dinghy dock at the N end will let you take a short walk to this upscale town.

2. Cayo Costo State Park, Pelican Bay- Enter the inlet and hug starboard shore. Then the bay opens up wide. Anchor almost anywhere, except for a high spot- about 4' at low in the middle. Dinghy to the state dinghy dock and walk to the beach. No bar, little services, but peaceful.

3. Cabbage Key- Turn west at G61 and proceed down the channel for a 1/4 mile or so. The marina lets lunch patrons and maybe dinner patrons tie up for free. The restaurant is one of many that claim rights to Buffet's cheeseburger in paradise.

David
+1 on all of these places.

In Pelican Bay, be d*mned careful entering. What is your draft? With my father's 4 1/2 feet it's hit or miss getting in there -- very shallow with a shifting bottom. I have run aground there! The navigable part of the entrance is pretty close to the shore on the N side of the bay as you come in. Be careful! But it's gorgeous!

As to Cabbage Key -- the restaurant is wonderful and atmospheric and a great place to spend an evening. If you don't want to mooch a spot on their pier (or if you draw too much water to get into there), there is a good anchorage opposite -- just turn E instead of W off the ICW -- consult the pilot books. Then you can just dinghy across for dinner.

The anchorage is good with excellent holding -- weathered a really bad storm there a few years ago with a 180 degree wind shift during the night! Didn't sleep a wink, but we didn't budge an inch!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:06   #4

1-Cabbage Key,anchor off Ussepa by Marker 61(I think that is the # ) 2-Cayo Costa 3-York Island and St. James City
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a dinghy run up the Peace River to the NaviGator bar. Great chicken wings. Ask them to put wing sauce on the blue cheese burger.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:22   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Take a dinghy run up the Peace River to the NaviGator bar. Great chicken wings. Ask them to put wing sauce on the blue cheese burger.
Sounds great. I read this a few minutes ago and now I'm going to have to get something to eat.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

We're tied up at Fishermen's Village right now and have enjoyed the place, if a little touristy. There is an anchorage beside the marina and the dinghy dockage is 15 bucks, but you get full use of the place. As in showers, bikes, pool, etc. Several restaurants here too and I hear the food is good. I haven't tried any yet. If you come in stop by and say hi, we're the only cat here...

www.elcaminoblog.com
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

If you contact Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club, you can buy a small chart with way points that the members made up from on-the-water surveys of the entrance to, and anchorage, at Pelican Bay, post Hurricane Charley. It has proven quite accurate. FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57   #9

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Besides the above we enjoyed anchoring in....

Roosevelt Channel off of Captiva further south a couple times with the Mac. The Mac is shallow draft so we could get down at the south end, right arrow. Depending on your draft and how many boats are there it could be tight or not. We will go back with the Endeavour.

You can go ashore and...

... leave a dinghy at Jensen's (marker 13 on the chart above, left arrow). And some nice places to eat just a block from them. The Bubble Room...

....is very interesting....

http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/facts.html

Also it is a short walk to the beaches on the Gulf side. We enjoyed it there and there are a couple pages of info on this area on our site starting here...

FL Fall 2010 page 9

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Charlotte Harbor