Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 19:23   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 33 White Gold II
Charleston to Florida (Tired of the ICW)

I am looking at leaving from Charleston on Saturday or Sunday to Florida (anywhere from Fernandina to Lauderdale) is anyone else heading that direction? ( first outside passage)
095774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Charleston to Florida (Tired of the ICW)

Dude, you're going to miss the Barrier Islands! And it's the perfect time of year to see them. No need to rush off to Florida, it's a dump.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Dude, you're going to miss the Barrier Islands! And it's the perfect time of year to see them. No need to rush off to Florida, it's a dump.

Nah -- it's Louisiana that's a dump! (Well, you asked for it!)

Actually there isn't a lot of good sailing on the east coast of Florida (except South), but you can use the canals, rivers and Lake Okeechobee to cross the state about two thirds of the way down and get to the WEST coast of Florida ...

Check before planning to do that. Reports are that Lake Okeechobee is really low right now although recent rains may have changed that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02   #4

Question Re: Charleston to Florida (Tired of the ICW)

Florida is just a means to a end, Bahamas is the real target, but your right about the barrier Islands I guess I'm just getting a little shoal happy and I hear that the bridges will be my next big concern, but I really want to get some laundry in the air. It seems when there is room to sail the wind is on my nose and when the I finally get a beam reach or better I'm in the ditch, however I forget the beauty of some the places, anchoring in salt marshes,towns like Georgetown and all the great people who have all there own problems with Irene, maybe I am being a little short-sighted. Where do you suggest heading out from the ICW?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Captain if I were you, I'd head out right now while the wind still has a northerly component in it and sail straight down to Fernandina or St. Augustine from Charleston.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 095774 View Post
I am looking at leaving from Charleston on Saturday or Sunday to Florida (anywhere from Fernandina to Lauderdale) is anyone else heading that direction? ( first outside passage)
I would suggest that you enter at one of these: St. Marys River, St. Johns River, Port Canaveral, Fort Pierce, Lake Worth, Port Everglades or Governors Cut. St. Augustine, Ponce Inlet & St. Lucie Inlet can be suitable for good weather conditions, but are best with some local knowledge. Other inlets like Jupiter, Boynton, Boca Raton and Hillsborough are never my conservative choices.
Old 11-10-2011, 18:25   #7

Passage weather and NOAA are forecasting winds out tof the west shifting to Northwest this weekendend and then to Northeast with winds anywhere from 5 to 20 knots and seas of 2 to 4 feet, I think leaving much earlier and I would be in the monstrous slop of the last few days. Off- shore winds with a beam to broad reach component sounds pretty sweet but hey I'm just a Great Lakes sailor so I take in all info besides I have to wait for the Admiral to get back from Toronto

Tags
florida, icw