Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 19:02   #1

Cartagena clearance agents

Hello everybody,
I m in curacao and about to sail to cartagena -colombia-. Does anybody know a decently honest clearance agent there? Do I really need one? I speak good Spanish, can I do by myself? How is the process?
Thank you so much
Gio
gio1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 19:21   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Cartagena clearance agents

We used Edgar, a young man who works with his mother. You can find other agents by talking to John who is manager at Club Nautico. We had no problem with Edgar. His phone number is (310) 386-0167. We are currently at Club de Pesca. I believe from what I've read on noonsite you are required to have a agent for at least the Port Captain.

Keith and Mildred
Atalanta
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 20:15   #3

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Cartagena clearance agents

Three years ago we used a guy called Manfred (found his details on noonsite). He was a bit...... weird, but knew his stuff, was excellent at handling the officials and helped us to ‘manage’ some dates and numbers to make things work for us. We also had an issue with another boat of the same name that had done something wrong and the officials were making trouble for us, but he made it all go away.

I’d use him again.

You might already be aware, but just in case: Watch the weather when you get near the Barranquilla locale. Forgive me for the unsolicited advice, it’s just that I was very grateful to others for giving me the same warning. BIG waves!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:52   #4

Thanks a lot for all the advices, I will definitively wait a good weather window to cross to colombia!
Please could you tell me how much should I expect to pay to clear in? I have a 32ft.
Also, how it works? I arrive in boca grande, I call channel 16, I anchor, I call the agent?
Old 22-06-2019, 19:59   #5

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Hmmm, I’m sorry, I don’t remember how much it cost but I remember that it was substantial. Maybe something like $200. My information is a little old now, but we had one fee for staying one week or less and another, much higher rate if we wanted to stay longer.

As for procedure, it is a requirement to have an agent. Best to organise that in advance. Then, you just turn up (we had no trouble using the Boca Grande entrance. Visibility was good) and anchor wherever the agent tells you to (probably outside Club Nautico Marina) and he or she will guide you through the process. It’s a little long-winded and bureaucratic like most of the countries in central and South America but with patience should be fine.

Oh, yes, on approach to Cartagena you call ‘Cartagena Port Control’ on ch. 16. It’s a major port and they speak English as well as Spanish.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 20:36   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

When we were there an agent was required. We anchored off Club Nautico and dinghied in the next morning. You can check in the marina office and they will call someone or a number of the agents seem to come down to the marina in the morning to pick up or drop off paperwork. The cost of checking in depends on how long you plan to stay. A short visit was around us$95, while longer was $200. We used a guy named David. He was fine. Just get the price clear at the start and any of the agents should do.
Cartegena is a great city, although probably painfully hot this time of year.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:49   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I use to use Manfred too, exclusively. Unfortunately he died.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 19:19   #8

Thank u so much, u all have been super helpful!

Tags
cartagena