Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54   #1

Carribean during hurricane season

Planning a trip to Florida at the end of August. Also considering sailing trip to the Carribean. Is it safe during hurricane season? Could you advise where to go? Grenada? Other place? Thank you in advance!
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:08   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Carribean during hurricane season

Is it safe during hurricane season? So long as a hurricane doesn't pop up...
Grenada is not 100% safe, see Hurricane Ivan. Its safer than others but there is still a risk but then again, sailing in itself has its risks. Only you can decide what your comfort level is.

For me, I wouldn't head out to the Caribbean during hurricane season and if I was already there would be heading towards Central America. This is based on my risk aversion level, having grown up on the Gulf Coast and been through hurricanes on land. That was enough to teach me a healthy respect for the awesome power of these storms. YMMV.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:09   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Planning a trip to Florida at the end of August. Also considering sailing trip to the Carribean. Is it safe during hurricane season? Could you advise where to go? Grenada? Other place? Thank you in advance!
I advice you to not do that. Make the trip to Florida and further to the Caribbean not earlier than December.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:22   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hi, Jana.

Here's a website with climatology data for the western Atlantic tropical zone. You can get an idea of how many storms of various intensities passed over or near each island to help you decide what to do.

Climatology of Caribbean Hurricanes

During the five seasons I had a boat down here, I sailed it back to the Chesapeake Bay two years, stored in in boatyards (strapped to yard anchors) for three years (Grenada and twice in Antigua), and kept it in an enclosed marina in Bradenton, Florida for one summer. Fully insured in all cases. Several hurricanes came close, but no direct hits, and no damage. Still, it's a roll of the dice. I wouldn't want to be sailing on the boat down here during August through mid-October.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I guess it's worth considering that those of us who live in FL year round, and also sail, seem to somehow survive hurricane season...(most of us, anyway)

You didn't mention if you were using your own boat, or chartering. If you're chartering, buy trip insurance and don't worry about it. If you're bringing your own, try to make sure that you have a hurricane plan just in case, but the odds are actually in your favor. Hurricane plan means exit for you, and somewhere secure for the boat. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Were you considering sailing to the Eastern Cariibean from Florida in hurricane season? Not a good idea! Too far South any time of year - up wind most of trip. There are good hurricane holes north of Grenada but they fill up quickly.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Jana,

If this were a poll, you would most likely see a great preponderance of votes to stay away from the Caribbean during hurricane season, specifically late July through mid-October. Our boat is strapped to tie-downs embedded in concrete in Fajardo, Puerto Rico, along with several hundred others. Even charter fleets haul out and store for at least part of the hurricane season. Even with all the resources and communications available to NOAA today, storms can pop up unexpectedly, catching a sailboat by surprise. The risk of being caught in the wrong place even in a relatively fast sailboat, which is also my home the other 6 months of the year, is too great for me to accept.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 13:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
I guess it's worth considering that those of us who live in FL year round, and also sail, seem to somehow survive hurricane season...(most of us, anyway)
Yes, it's amazing we aren't all dead and drowned. I've been living in FL off and on since 1974 and had a boat most of the time. Haven't lost me or a boat yet.

Keep a very close eye on the weather and be prepared to get out of the way asap and you will probably survive.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 20:40   #9

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

I've lived in Florida for many... decades. Been through many storms and several hurricanes. For the past 3 to 4 years I've lived aboard my boat in the BVI. I have occasionally taken a break and spent some of the hurricane season in... Florida... on the Gulf Coast... about 75 feet from the water.

You do not want to go looking for a hurricane. You get away from those that appear to be coming for you. You do your best to prepare for the event if you can not get away from it.

Hurricane season is a time to be alert. I'm in St Martin now and will soon sail back to the BVI. Most life goes on with out regard to the season. The locals do not pack up the car and take the tunnel back to Miami. It can be a great time for a vacation at a discount BUT you will have additional risk and one of those is your life and possessions.

Stay alert and pick your fights. Expect to have some interruptions in "normal" life if a storm approaches. If one actually hits... you will not have a good time. Like Jimmy Buffett sang. If a Hurricane does not kill you it only make you stronger... the Breath In Breath Out and Move on.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40   #10

it's getting more and more crowded here ... it's 'cane season ...
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:28   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Jana,

Assuming that there are 12 months in the year to go to the Carribean, why would you consider going there at the most dangerous time (August thru October)? If you have a fast power boat, maybe, but don't go in a sailboat until after November. Not even to the Bahamas.

I've lived in Florida since the 1960's and been going back and forth to the Bahamas most of that time. My advise, stay in North Florida until mid-November, unless your karma is over 200% perfect. Not worth the risk and no fun when you get caught by a hurricane.

Better check your insurance to see what they have to say about your coverage going there at that time. You can bet that they have addressed it.

In any event, good luck.

Tim
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 12:42   #12

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your replies!

The downside is, that we have already bought tickets to Miami and we would love to charter a sailing boat. For us it's a long trip from Europe which we'd like to spend on a boat.. At least that was the plan...

We have checked many sites and it seems like Grenada might be much, much safer during this season. Do any of you have any experience sailing there during summer months? Can anyone confirm this information?
How does it look like in Grenada in August, are local resorts, restaurants open?

Please, let us know, and help us finally decide!

Thank you in advance!

Jana
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 12:45   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i would read this book: at the mercy of the sea. then decide how close you want to be to a hurricane.
Old 13-06-2012, 13:58   #14

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

It's not only the Hurricanes you need to worry about , its the stuff that may become a hurricane somewhere else. I've sailed to Trinidad from the BVI's in late June early July and Tropical winds or Tropical depressions are not to be taken lightly. Once, a tropical storm went by well to the north of Granada by at least a hundred miles. Feeder bands of 50 knot winds were sucked up from the ICTZ and really made sailing a chore.

I was in Trinidad during Ivan and visited Granada to view the aftermath. Have you ever seen 200 boats on their sides in a boatyard? Have you ever seen 30 boats yanked from their slips to join the anchor-outs on the rocks?
Please folks, I know we live in an age of 'I want to therefore I will', but mother nature operates on a different wave length.

Remember it only takes one hurricane to ruin your sailing adventure.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 14:11   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana
Dear all,

Thank you very much for your replies!

The downside is, that we have already bought tickets to Miami and we would love to charter a sailing boat. For us it's a long trip from Europe which we'd like to spend on a boat.. At least that was the plan...

We have checked many sites and it seems like Grenada might be much, much safer during this season. Do any of you have any experience sailing there during summer months? Can anyone confirm this information?
How does it look like in Grenada in August, are local resorts, restaurants open?

Please, let us know, and help us finally decide!

Thank you in advance!

Jana
Yes, we were in Grenada in the summers of 2003 and 2004. In 2004, hundreds of boats were destroyed by category 4 (becoming cat5) hurricane Ivan, some people died, followed by violent riots and looting. When the looters got to US flagged boats, they found the guns. After shooting rival gangs first, they turned to attack us, but we were just leaving and soldiers from neigbouring islands just came in to restore order. A handful people died during the hurricane, around 300 more had been killed by the time we escaped.

Can you go to Grenada? Sure you can. Can you sail there fom Miami during hurricane season? Yes you can. We did and survived. Taught us how precious life is and that we should be more careful with ours.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane