Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2009, 04:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Carriacou East / South Coast

Having sailed and stayed the north/west Carriacou a couple of times in the last two months I am intrigued by the reef area to the east and islands to the south. They are not discussed in the Doyle guide but look interesting to explore. Has anyone any experience of this area and can provide some info on whether or not it's worth having a look?
Old 21-06-2009, 05:05   #2

Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Try to get Donald streets guide book.
Old 21-06-2009, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Carriacou means "Land of many reefs", and has about 20 dive sites including, reefs, wrecks and walls.
Google < Carriacou Dive > for lots of good information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carriacou_map.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	8655  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 07:49   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I know from experience that you can sail inside the reef at Windward, where the small derelict freighter is aground on the reef, but I've never anchored inside. I don't have a copy of Street's guide with me, but agree with Caribsurf that he may have the info you're looking for. He likes to find the out-of-the-way anchorages.

I was always curious about the lagoon inside the reef on the eastern side of Canouan. Have you tried it? If you can dodge the coral heads, I think that could be a pleasant place to anchor.
Old 21-06-2009, 12:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420
We intend to visit there on our way back south to Grenada. Wondering about this, we were walking the east road on Canouan just a couple of days ago and saw a couple of cats leaving the area. They were departing the the north end of the lagoon. I guess they must have been anchored in front of the Raffles complex. So it does look very doable so our 'plan' has this pencilled in. So to the extent reality will match our plans, we'll go.

We did also see a boat anchored inside the lagoon east of Carriacou so one can go inside. From the chart it looks like you can pass all the way through which could make for an interesting few days. I'll look for a copy of Street's book and see what he says. I've followed a couple of his out of the way guides. There's often a reason why they're out of the way and off the beaten track. Maria Island in St Lucia turned out to be a very bumpy night.
Old 21-06-2009, 17:12   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I always sailed south from Carriacou down the windward (east) side of Granada to the anchorages on the southren end of Granada. Stay about a mile off shore to avoid rocks and reefs. Great sail!

Tyrell Bay has free Wi-FI you can receive from your boat in the anchorage. St George's Lagoon has a megi yacht marina under construction and there is little room to anchor.

You should pay attention to the wind, swell and currents as the hurricane season started June 1st. Don't get caught on a lee shore! Eric, on ham 3855 USB at 6:30 am gives excellant weather forecast.

wish I were there!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Carriacou, east coast