Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 11:56   #16

Boat: None
Re: Caribbean Cruising Guide for Leeward and Windward Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We’ll be heading down to the Caribbean this Fall/Winter of 2019/2020 and would like some advice on which cruising guide books might be the most helpful. I noticed two on Amazon both by author Stephen Paulidis, one titled “Cruising Guide to the Leeward Islands,” and the other “Cruising Guide to the Windward Islands.” Do these guides offer a good overview, or do the folks currently cruising these areas prefer others?

In some ways, we use the guide books to help avoid crowded anchorages; we sort of look to find the popular spots... then anchor someplace uncrowded nearby.

Many thanks in advance.

Ken
I have both, and find them to be quite good. I cannot compare them to the other offerings on the same subjects. Also, Waterway Guide for the Bahamas is quite good.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 17:08   #17

Chris Doyle do a brilliant one. He has just released his 2019/2020 book
Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 17:40   #18
cruiser

Thanks, Chris’ guides look good, I’ll check them out.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 18:17   #19

Boat: Seaward 22

Doyle's is my favorite for the leewards, can't speak to the windwards.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:17   #20

Boat: Oyster

Dear sailing friends, I am basically new to this group ,I don’t know how to post a thread except like this so forgive me if this is wrong, I am looking for a dock in the Caribbean that is not a rip of to antifoul a56 footer sail boat ,your thoughts would be most appreciated thank you terry
terrysandling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
I have been up and down the Windward and Leeward Islands a couple times these past three years. Love the guide books for the general layout, customs & immigration times/locations and a peek into some very interesting history that lends to a greater appreciation of where you are. Doyle is the author of one of the ones I have. I carry paper charts as well for the whole area (though I don't know how I ended up with and extra set... anybody interested? -S
I'm interested, how old are the charts? Which ones and by which company?
Old 14-02-2019, 06:42   #22

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
We’ll be heading down to the Caribbean this Fall/Winter of 2019/2020 and would like some advice on which cruising guide books might be the most helpful. I noticed two on Amazon both by author Stephen Paulidis, one titled “Cruising Guide to the Leeward Islands,” and the other “Cruising Guide to the Windward Islands.” Do these guides offer a good overview, or do the folks currently cruising these areas prefer others?

In some ways, we use the guide books to help avoid crowded anchorages; we sort of look to find the popular spots... then anchor someplace uncrowded nearby.

Many thanks in advance.

Ken

The one I prefer is the one published by IMRAY “ Grenada to the Virgin Islands, A Cruising Guide to the Lesser Antilles “ from Jacques Patuelli. It is straight forward, no advertising, accurate charts and good pictures.

The others are the one wrote by Chris Doyle, more expensive considering you have to buy numerous books to cover the Caribbean but more detailed with a lots of advertising.

The worst in my opinion is the one from Stephen J. Pavlidis. However, Mr. Pavlidis publications are still my number one in the Bahamas.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:11   #23

I am enjoying this interchange. It’s very helpful and informative. I’m thinking about a bareboat charter next April or May from St. Lucia to Grenada. In other words, a one-way trip south. Is that a sensible approach? In doing some preliminary research, I’ve noted that the charter rates are substantially less than those for, say, BVI. Any idea why that might be? Thanks!
Mike Scheurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:59   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I recommend NV charts. They come with access to a nice app so you can see the same charts on your tablet or phone. Nice to be able see your position on the charts. On guides, Doyle is great.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:01   #26

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Scheurich View Post
I am enjoying this interchange. It’s very helpful and informative. I’m thinking about a bareboat charter next April or May from St. Lucia to Grenada. In other words, a one-way trip south. Is that a sensible approach? In doing some preliminary research, I’ve noted that the charter rates are substantially less than those for, say, BVI. Any idea why that might be? Thanks!
A one way trip is a good idea, allows you to see more islands. But, by that time of year, the prevailing wind tends to be south of east so I would go the other way.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17   #27

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.

Ken

Get Chris Doyles Leeward and Winward guides. Aerial photos give you a nice perspective on what to expect when you get there. Nice complement to charts.
Then you need Jaques Patuelli guide des Antilles.
Not sure if availlable in English
Those combined with charts, you should be fine.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:49   #28
cruiser

The Chis Doyle guides sound excellent and will make for a good combination with the Navionics platinum+ charts on the plotters and Nobeltec TZ on the iPads. Looking forward to a warm winter for a change.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46   #29

Boat: Dufour 40

Patuelli’s guide is published by Imray as ‘Grenada to the Virgin Islands’. Recommended. Has basically the information required for navigation. Doyle will tell you where to get the best cocktails.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib, wind, Windward Islands