Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16   #1

Boat: R&C Leopard 42 - ONE LIFE
Caribbean Cruising Fees/Permits

Hi, I will be beginning a 6 month cruise of the eastern Caribbean with my wife and kids beginning next month and am trying to figure out what I will have to pay for cruising fees & permits. It looks like the BVI has expensive cruising fees $4/person/day. With 6 of us on board does this mean that I will have to pay $24/day? or is this not the case for private vessels?

Anyone else have any experience? What about the other islands?

Kevin
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Cruising Fees

Hi, Kevin.

Most of the islands charge a relatively small fee to enter the country, usually in the $10-12 range, some even less. You might want to check out www.noonsite.com. Go to "Countries", "Carribbean", "Clearance". The site is not always completely up to date, but it still has a wealth of information.

Here's what it says about fees in the BVI, which is the eastern Caribbean's most expensive place to cruise:

Harbour dues and ships' dues depending on the size of the boat.
BVI Cruising Tax: All visiting yachts from other Caribbean islands or from outside the territory must acquire cruising permits (available from Customs) upon entering BVI waters. Cost is $4.00 per person, per day, year round.
Charter guests aboard BVI registered yachts must also purchase cruising permits. The cost is $2.00 per person per day from December 1st to April 30th and $.75 per person per day from May 1st to November 30th. If a yacht is chartered complete with crew, the captain and crew are not required to pay a cruising fee, but the charter guests are. On a bareboat charter, everyone on board is required to pay the daily cruising fee.
As well as the cruising tax, foreign registered boats pay $10-15 per visit per boat. Visiting crewed charter boats also have to pay a departure tax of US$4 per person. Charter licence annual fee from $400 (under 40 ft (12 m)) to $800 (over 50 ft (15 m).
Overtime must be paid for customs clearance outside 0830-1530 Monday to Friday, 0830-1230 Saturdays and on public holidays.

Happy cruising!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:17   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Hud3 has it right. The best info is available at noonsite.com

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 16:52   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Depending on how long you plan to keep the boat in a specific geo/political area you may have several options. In the BVI you can "Temporary Import" your boat for a fixed fee and not have the daily cost. I think the present fee is about $310 for a year. That is for the Boat... it does not give you immigration privileges for a continuous year in the BVI that is limited to a set number of days at the point of entry and varies on the purpose of visit but is normally 30 days then you can apply for extension or do as most do and make a trip to USVI for a day and return for another 30 days. Only a 20 min ferry boat ride from Sophers Hole to Cruz Bay.
Old 16-10-2007, 18:27   #5

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
That is expensive, one more place off the list.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 19:04   #6

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Wow! I'm glad I cruised ther 25 years ago. One place I to will pass by this time. Compared to the other islands in the Carib as far as I'm concerned they price a Chevy like a Lexus. There are a LOT of other places that hold as much interest for me.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 15:14   #7

Boat: 2001 Legacy 34
Puerto Rico

I'm on the verge of moving to Puerto Rico for two years, and I'm wondering what my options are for dealing with taxes, etc for a sailboat docked down there of that long. Anyone have wisdom on that?
daysailj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 16:03   #8

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
That is expensive, one more place off the list.
If a cost of $310.00 for a year, puts you off visiting one of what most consider the best cruising grounds in the world... well you probably will not be missed in the crowds.

I've actually never seen anyone except charter groups charged the daily rates. If you use the national park service accommodations you should have a permit... if not then I've never seen anyone question anyone.
Old 30-10-2007, 07:47   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Don't know about the northern islands, but down in the Windwards I can tell you that all countries do have charges for customs and immigration. When I clear into Grenada, St Vincent or St Lucia it typically costs me about $100 US for two crew, two guests and the 44 foot boat for three or four days. Tobago Keys now is collecting $10.00 US per person per day just to anchor there - collected daily by rangers. These countries depend on these fees to maintain whatever aids to navigation they maintain as well as to cover general costs. Considering that we don't pay taxes, yet have access to their services, it seems reasonable to me.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:50   #10

Lightbulb hmmm

Wonder how loud they'd scream if we charged em that to visit the US? let's see 100.00 for arrival, ten dollars a piece for every day they are here, then a departure fee?

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 18:52   #11

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Yet every dollar we spend in their country helps them. Everytime we tell someone how nice it is there and they visit helps them. My feeling is; if they don't want me to come and leave my money they can tell my by charging me for basic infrastructure that they need anyway. Reminds me of people wearing logos on their shirts, hats, etc. I'm not interested. Now if they want to pay me to advertise their stuff then fine.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 19:32   #12

$10 pp per day, wife and two kids, = $40 per day or $1200 per month. Cruising budget $2,000 per month. Nope, I'll pass.
Old 01-11-2007, 19:33   #13

Sorry, that was US$ right, so make it $1500 per month out of $2,000 budget.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:08   #14

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Are we talking fees for charter boats or private boats?
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 16:18   #15

Anyplace that wants $10 per person per day for a cruising boat anchoring out is a place my family and I will most certainly NOT be going. Thats absurd. 3/5 of a months cruising budget for what amounts to a tax? Screw that.

Perhaps the entire Caribbean is just becoming an exclusive playground for super rich only. Oh well. Hopefully the South Pacific is still reasonable.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, fees