Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 18:50   #1

Boat: Dehler 37 CWS
Campingaz (Camping Gas) Cylinder Refills ?

We are currently in Puerto Rico and are heading for Florida en route to Eastern Intercoastal Waterway to the Hudson/Erie Canal and Canada. Our yacht is German built and can only accommodate Camping Gaz cylinders (3.5Kg) due to size of gas lockers. Is it possible to have them filled en route?
Any advice welcome. We have managed so far but are concerned about US Regs
Old 29-03-2010, 19:12   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Keep in mind that Camping Gaz is butane, not propane. I think you will find that it is near impossible to get refills.

Even though you won't like the idea, I think you're best off buying a couple of US 8 pound cylinders and store them lashed somewhere above decks near your gas locker. If you plan to stay out of Europe for some time, I would advise aluminium cylinders; if it's just for s short while, get cheap steel. There are also small "barbecue" bottles that normally screw into the BBQ-regulator directly. Those would fit your locker and there are adapters available to connect them.

BUT... check your stove documentation. My stove came with two sets of nozzles, one for propane and another for butane.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 00:07   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I got a lot of refills in St. Martin recently as my boat also is fitted out for butane, but as Nick has stated, you are going to have trouble finding butane cylinders in the US.
Old 31-03-2010, 00:19   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We've put butane after propane and visa versa. It works just the same. Frys eggs not the boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 00:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
The gas locker on my boat can only fit the puny, but very expensive Camping Gaz cylinders too. I got round the problem by teeing off the gas pipework within the locker and lashing a propane bottle to the pushpit. Surprisingly unobtrusive and easy to do. I'll take some pix this weekend if you're interested.

It is nigh impossible to get "non-standard" cylinders refilled in the USA. When we get there next year I'm thinking of buying one of the new composite cylinders. Bit more expensive than steel, but a lot cheaper than aluminum, and certainly no rust!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 10:00   #6

Boat: Dehler 37 CWS
Thanks everybody
We have more or less decided to install a separate propane system from cylinders stored under our sternseat as it drains direst to the sea. You confirm finally our feelings that Camping Gaz sized gas lockers are SILLY!!!!
Old 31-03-2010, 22:49   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Sounds like you end up with more room than I expected. See if two 10-pound cylinders fit or even 20-pound ones. In many places you pay a fixed price for filling, regardless the size of the cylinder!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaz