Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 18:10   #1

BVI quiet anchorages

I'm chartering a catamaran in late november in the BVI. I prefer quiet, pristine anchorages/moorings and would be interested in any suggestions. Also, does anyone have a list of private mooring balls for rent that aren't part of Boatyball? thanks
Hungry Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 18:21   #2

Re: BVI quiet anchorages

Might have more luck/different answers over at TTOL. Plenty of threads about Boaty Ball too:

British Virgin Islands - TravelTalkOnline

At this stage, not sure how busy any of the anchorages would be...
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 18:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eagle View Post
I'm chartering a catamaran in late november in the BVI. I prefer quiet, pristine anchorages/moorings and would be interested in any suggestions. Also, does anyone have a list of private mooring balls for rent that aren't part of Boatyball? thanks
Most of the mooring balls are installed by private companies. I really cannot suggest anything that meets your criteria.

The least crowded mooring field that I call recall was Anegada.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 06:21   #4

The BVIs are probably the most popular charter cruising area for folks from the US. What do you mean by "quiet, pristine"? Late November is still before the high Christmas/New Year season, so there'll be fewer folks out there. "Anchorages" are basically non-existent. Everywhere a good anchorage could be is now mooring balls. Last time we were there in 2019 most places had non-Boatyball moorings, but I've heard a lot has changed in the last couple of years and that there are fewer non-Boatyball moorings.

The loudest spot when we've been there is Anegada. CGB, The Bite and Leverick are nice ball spots. Spanish Town and Leverick are nice slip spots. Soper's was still destroyed when we were there but I hear it's much better and was nice prior to Irma. JVD is also nice. Marina Cay is good, but the Scrub Island boat shuttle runs close to Marina Cay creating wakes. At one time Scrub had slips you could rent for the night. Not sure they still do, but it's very nice also. Trellis Bay is nice, but we normally just dingy over from Marina Cay. Cooper has gotten very crowded. Great Harbor on Peter is nice, but can also get crowded.

Don't ruin your vacation by heading over there thinking you'll be the only ones in a mooring field. Generally, even though there are others around you, most are polite and aren't going to bother you.

I know many hate Boatyballs. We go in October and haven't ever needed to use them so, so I can't comment directly about them. However, again, I wouldn't let something minor, like a mooring ball costing $20 more a night, ruin my vacation. The cost of mooring and slips is going to be one of the lower cost items of your trip.

Enjoy you trip and make sure you have all your Covid protocol/paperwork in line for the BVIs (and for St. Thomas if you're flying through there).
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 06:35   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Then I would avoid the BVI.

It’s a bit like going to Ibiza and looking for quiet beaches and empty bars.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:53   #6

Like others have said, it's not going to be quiet, but ones that we've enjoyed over the years that would lean towards this would be (in no particular order):

(1) Deadman's Bay on Peter island
(2) Long Bay on Virga Gorda
(3) Anegada
(4) White Bay of Guana Island
(5) The Bite if you stay away from the Willy T

Honestly that's part of the fun of the BVI's, it is like Sailing - Lite, easy hops from spot to spot, lots of action if you want it, and no shortage of good people watching. You'll still be on the fringe of shoulder season, so it won't be too wild, but just roll with it and have fun. We will be done there 3 weeks in end of Dec/January to Escape the cold here.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:59   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

As has been said above, the really good anchorages are all full of mooring balls and boats plus bars/restaurants ashore.

There are still places left that are secluded, almost all of them have no mooring balls and no entertainment ashore. My favorites are:

- North Sound, off Prickly Pear away from the mooring fields. great holding in < 20 feet.
- Long Bay Virgin Gorda. just a couple of mooring balls but good holding
- Savannah Bay Virgin Gorda (might be off-limits for some charter boats)
- Pomato Point, Anegada
- Manchioneel Bay, Little Jost (not the best holding)
- Guana Island (5 or 6 mooring balls, anchoring possible)

Then there are numerous small anchoring spots that are very weather dependent and should only be used in certain conditions.

Long Bay in July this year, I was the only boat
Old 20-10-2021, 10:17   #8

Quote:

The BVIs are the Disneyland of cruising. Lots of good wind, lovely weather, lots of beautiful places to moor/anchor, and lots of cruisers. That being said, we found that most people kept to themselves and weren't noisy or disruptive. And even in destinations with a popular bar, it was possible to choose a mooring far enough away that the noise wasn't annoying.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 21:55   #9

Boat: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Cinnamon Bay is technically in the USVI, but is a nice spot that I've often had all to myself on charter. Nice beach. Good mooring balls. Used to be a little US National Park eatery and cabins on shore, but I think they were wiped out in the last hurricane.

Benures Bay on Norman Island is empty sometimes.

As others have said, the BVI's are wonderful, but not the first cruising destination that pops to mind for seclusion.

Depending on how busy it is, grabbing one of the outer mooring balls in the Bight can be sort of isolated . . .

Enjoy your cruise!
dave907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, BVI