Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 00:31   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I've heard nothing but good things about the 473 and looked at several from Sunsail and Moorings when I was shopping for my last boat and ended up getting an ex-Sunsail Jeanneau 43DS because the 473's seemed "too big" for me at the time.
I like keeping my boat on the hard on Virgin Gorda but the downside is that once you arrive at Beef Island after a long and strenuous flight from elsewhere you still have to get to Virgin Gorda. Ferries from Trellis Bay (right by the airport) to Spanish Town are few. I haven't tried contacting Little Dix resort to see if I could take their ferry, which does come by pretty often to pick up guests.
The reversing air conditioning units are pretty compact - but the issue is getting all the necessary ductwork installed. I watched the boat next to mine remove the AC from a 48 footer and was amazed at how big the pile of ductwork and insulation on the dock ended up being.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:38   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Thanks. We head down in 8 days so we're going to take a look at them to see what we like while we are there. I'll be checking out storage options as well (Penn's landing and VG)
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40
I have chartered boats in the BVI with Sunsail. The newer boats seem to be in pretty decent shape, but as they get to the end of their charter contract our experience is that they are beat to hell. I have also looked at quite a few used boats in the last 6 months (here in the US) and have seen a big difference between boats that have been in charter vs not in charter. Based on my experience to date, I am not going to consider a boat that has been chartered. All that being said, make sure you know what you are getting at the end of the contract and your ability to sell the boat later.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:41   #19

Thanks, I am aware of the condition of the boats. I think at this point, all things considered we are leaning much more towards buying a boat that is out of charter rather then one in it.

We chartered a 4700 last October and that boat was retired this past spring, so it was close to the end of its charter when we were on it. From what I saw, over all it was in decent condition. Certainly I felt worth the discount you'd pay buying it used. I'd always get a survey though, so we know exactly what were getting.

Our hope is that this is our first boat, but not our last. We'd eventually like to be on a Cat but want to get started so this is a good way to do it. I also think we have enough friends that will help with the yearly maintenance/moorings costs.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Just as there are vocal camps in the Mono vs. Multihull and what-type-of-anchor-is-best debates, the two groups on each side of the 'whether or not to get an ex-charter boat' question tend to be pretty vehement.
I had a good experience on an ex-charter boat, the discount in purchase price versus a similar non-chartered boat more than made up for the extra wear and tear on the boat. By investing only a portion of the savings made upon buying the boat in refurbishing the cosmetics I ended up with just what I wanted. But finding the right boat and using a competent surveyor is essential since wear-and-tear damage can be easily fixed whereas damage to the hull, keel and rudder from groundings are more significant. The BVI charter fleets see benign weather, lots of motoring and little sail use so the rigging tends to be in good shape but the engines have high hours. It is a tradeoff but for those willing to do some work on the boat themselves the ex-charter boats can be a bargain.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
If you have time you should talk to the owners at Pro-Valor. They have docks and mooring balls and also a maintenance program that is reasonable. You have had some excellent advise. If I was going to leave my boat on a mooring ball, the one thing that would be mandatory is a small solar panel to keep the batteries charged.

Be prepared for how expensive the whole deal is. It is WAY-WAY more then I had expected.

FWIW, check out Zanshin's website - its one of the best.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43   #22

I agree - I have received a lot of great info. Now we just have a lot more research ahead of us and looking to do.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56   #23

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
suggest you also consider the practical implications of living in Boston and having the boat in the BVI, travel time, expense, competing work schedules, weather issues in winter travel, routine maintenance required when you do get to the boat, etc. are all easily underestimated in the zeal to have a boat there. Ask how I know...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 13:17   #24
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
suggest you also consider the practical implications of living in Boston and having the boat in the BVI, travel time, expense, competing work schedules, weather issues in winter travel, routine maintenance required when you do get to the boat, etc. are all easily underestimated in the zeal to have a boat there. Ask how I know...
The biggest one is the maintenance when you get there. My last two trips to the boat have resulted in Zero water time but sunrise to happy hour work schedules. These where short trips but regardless, coming from a fresh water lake area, I didn't imagine the damage salt water was going to do to the equipment. Something is always broke.

It's still worth it though
Old 14-10-2010, 17:44   #25

Boat: Sea Ray 38 - Nauti-Girls
Newbie on the site, but I saw you were from the Boston area looking at BVI. I live just south of Boston and have had my boat in the Virgin Islands for 5 years. It is great! I keep the boat in Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor now. It is a great place to stay and relatively inexpensive. One thought that I did not see in the thread --- I had the boat up north-completly outfitted it the way I wanted and made sure everything on the boat worked, then shipped it on Dockwise from Newport RI. As it was said earlier, parts and labor are not the easiest to come by in the islands.
beep beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:22   #26

Thanks to all those that have provided advice. We are in the final stages of buying a boat in charter in BVI. This worked out best for us at this time.
Old 27-11-2010, 09:12   #27

Boat: Leopard 40
What did you decide to buy?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:00   #28

Still have a few steps left, so its not a done deal yet, but its a Beneteau Cyclades 39. The time it has left in the charter program was really the key for us since I prefer the Oceanis models more myself. It's not a boat we'll keep long term - probably 3 years of charter and then we'll sell it.
Old 27-11-2010, 10:36   #29

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Asking Price vs. actual Selling Price?

I hope this question can be answered on a percentage basis.

What would you say generally the boats Moorings sells actually go for under the price listed? looking for ball-park figures here.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:38   #30

15-20% maybe. It really depends on the boat as well and how it survey's and how quick the sellers want to sell.

Tags
British Virgin Islands