Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 09:39   #1

Boat: IP 31' sloop
Buddy boating

Going to Bahamas. Leaving Destin Fl on Dec1st, Leaving Marathon about Dec 6th. Any one crossing about that time?
Old 24-11-2016, 11:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Buddy boating

Some comments about buddy boating from the perspective of the long distance passagemaker.

* Two boats "in company", one will have to constantly regulate their boat speed so as not to outdistance the other. This can be a drag if you like to sail fast, and the other guy, not so much.

* One will feel the need to help the other if there is a problem. If bad weather is the cause of the problem, it may be unsafe to do so. Remember, the duty of the captain is to his own vessel and crew, secondarily, to others. This could lead to a bad outcome.

For us, sailing in company has been done--once, following rudder damage to our friends' boat, people we'd known for years. We held station on them when they moved the boat to where it could be repaired. I would not choose to do it from the ideal of safety. But it would have been "not nice" to have gone off and left them, and there was no danger to us. What I am trying to say is that is can be psychologically unacceptable to deny assistance.

However, leaving together [on the same weather window] and meeting up at the end of the days' runs, having radio schedules with others, that's fine. If the boats have similar performance, you might be in sight of one another for a long time, certainly in vhf range. Just go into it with your eyes wide open. To me, buddy boating's image of greater safety is an illusion. And in the above example, our friends were perfectly fine to go ahead on their own, but it gave them a sense of greater security for us to be there.

Ann
Old 24-11-2016, 12:08   #3

We don't buddy boat in the way Anne described, we have had loose hook ups with cruising friends and we meet them at the next port but when we are at sea we are each on our own. We have returned once when our friends lost their engine close to an island with no wind in case they needed a tow in but we would rather sail on our own schedule and make our own decisions without requiring a meeting of the minds. Herd mentally is best avoided.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:46   #4

Quote:
Herd mentally is best avoided.
I couldn't agree more, and especially for ocean passages. The incident above occured in Tonga, between Island groups.

However, today, everybody waits for weather windows, to make their passages more comfortable, and therefore, batches of us with a common destination are out there at the same time. You will hear some of them keeping radio scheds with shore stations or other cruisers. We would keep well clear, and sail our own passage. However, one time, 4 of us left Noumea for Coff's Hbr., NSW, Australia on the same day. And we arrived 5 days later. The winds were good for the passage. We all took advantage of the weather. Fortunately, our routes were different enough that we were out of sight of everyone by nightfall.

If there is a problem, sort of law of the sea, one is required to help.

All that said, I think the concept of massive groups all going anywhere together does not foster the necessary independence of thought that a cruiser needs to cultivate.

However, we have the OP who'd like to be in company, it is he to whom I should address myself, and if he wants to do that, no matter what I think, I hope he will consider the downsides, which are very clear to me, but I may have failed to make clear to him. I think "herd mentality", the "safety in numbers" way of thinking is wrong, an illusion, not a truth.

Ann
Old 24-11-2016, 13:15   #5

I've never actually done it. I offered to do it once from Bermuda to Antigua with a couple of ME boats. One a Hinkley SW40 and the other was a 32' wood boat. We got the OK for good weather but the Hinkley didn't want to leave. They were a very old couple on the first long passage... sort of dream of a lifetime. They hung back waiting for some part... and I did a fabulous passage on one tack with the chute up for a day and a half... I remained in SSB contact with the Hinkley. When they finally left they were pummeled by a nasty storm mid way. The Hinkley lost its AP the other boat was taking on water and the Hinkley had the SSB so he stood by the other boat called Owl. Long and short of it I called in to SBII and Herb arranged for the Coast Guard to drop some pumps and they limped in 3 days later... What a disaster. At least they didn't founder and sink.

I don't see doing this... for many reasons... but as Anne says... keeping a radio sched and meeting up is fine.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 07:26   #6

Boat: IP 31' sloop

Thanks for all the input. a lot to consider.
Old 26-11-2016, 15:40   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I agree with Ann and Robert.

I've done it very successfully with a bunch of friends on three very different boats coastal cruising/island hopping for a month or so. But passage making is a different matter.

In the first case, it makes sense if you are all friends and want to spend time at anchor/ashore together. Basically, you all agree on the destination and meet up there but make your own way.

I'm with Anne on the passage making though, trying to keep different boats in contact in that situation has many downsides.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 05:55   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

Ditto Ann and Robert.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 07:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We have taken a role as a "Buddy Boat" for others on occasion, but not as a role of a vessel prepared to provide mechanical or towing assistance.

More often, we introduce ourselves to others making a similar passage as your "neighbor for the day" and available to share interpretations of weather conditions and traffic.

It is reassuring for many to have someone that is aware of their position and expected landfall time, but we never expect to remain at the same speed or with continual visual contact.
Old 27-11-2016, 07:57   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

I agree with the consensus opinion this far...even if boats are similar in speed they'll be out of touch with each other in no time unless they make a concerted effort to stay together. Marathon to Bahamas, there really is no point. It's a 24 hour trip. Why bother.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 08:16   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
................... there really is no point. It's a 24 hour trip. Why bother.
I agree; however, when I'm on a long night watch, I do enjoy the contact that keeps me more alert and with a task. We sometimes designate a time for an hourly contact to share a note about progress and conditions. It's more a matter of structuring the time and having a mission than a matter of safety or dependence.

I often have no contact with these temporary neighbors other than by VHF and maybe a running light at some time, but the interaction is valuable if nothing more than a camaraderie on the water.
Old 27-11-2016, 12:15   #12

Although our watches are long (6 on, 6 off), I have never had a problem staying awake when there was any light in sight. It is as if the other guy could leap out of the water and land on me. I just am driven from within to keep close track. Close quarters, for me, a stimulant.

I'll also confess to a desire to get past a light we overtake.

I'm happy to join up with friends at the end of the day, if coastal, and stopping, or on arrival at a destination.

I just really don't believe in the "safety in numbers concept". It works fine for fish survival as species, the outer guys in the bait balls get eaten. Maybe works for anti-piracy, kinda questionable there, but for an overnighter? Why do you want to do that?

Get really clear with yourself on the perceived benefit, and do a reality check. Ask yourself exactly how close you want to be to another boat and how that will help or hinder.

Ann

Tags
boating