Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 18:59   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Unhappy Break-in in St. Kitts

Been absent from the forum for a long time, and its a bad topic to return for

Fortunately they had no idea what was of value and only took swimming gear, snorkeling gear, a few life jackets, etc.. In total probably about $500-$600 of stuff though.

Unfortunately this type of stuff seems to becoming more and more common around all the islands around here. I mentioned this to some boats anchored close in short as the thieves appeared to have swum out (now we are anchored WAY out rather than just quite a ways out...) and they told me 2 days before someone stole their dinghy in St Martin, then the day after someone stole their new dinghy in Statia, but somehow the thieves responded to yelling and they returned to the beach with the dinghy and then ran off....

I live in St Kitts and I'd still recommend it as a stay over but anchor out a bit.... plus I see many boaters anchor in Basseterre Bay, but at 20 foot depth it rolls up to 10 ft in a very short distance, when waves come in this causes them to roll up very fast in that region and many people seem to anchor in that 10-8 foot depth range.... Go out to the 20 foot mark at least!
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 20:48   #2

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
that suxs, glad it was only stuff. Think its to many reports of the pirates down south making a killing and nothing really happening to them thats putting ideas into other heads.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 04:54   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Sorry to hear about that, PB. I think the economic woes must be causing more folks to think about petty crime. I haven't heard of any boat break-ins here in Nevis, but home burglaries seem to be on the rise, something you never really heard about several years ago.

p.s. have you been enjoying sailing your new boat?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
PyotrBee,

Sorry to hear about your break-in, but as you point out, these incidents are sadly on the rise everywhere in the Caribbean. Anchoring further out is always a good idea, as are audible alarm systems connected to the deck floods. Its another reason I am looking to install a waterproof aluminum companionway door with dogs - much more secure than what is fitted as standard equipment. In addition, I am installing a security bar on all of the larger hatch frames so that it would be impossible for anyone to climb through. It won't make me immune from theft/boardings, but it will certainly make my boat more difficult to enter and a much less attractive a target.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Sorry to hear about that, PB. I think the economic woes must be causing more folks to think about petty crime. I haven't heard of any boat break-ins here in Nevis, but home burglaries seem to be on the rise, something you never really heard about several years ago.

Since Dec, breakins and others have been crazy here in SKN. The police don't seem able to handle it, and unfortunately I expect vigilantism to start sprouting up soon...
Old 01-04-2010, 19:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
PyotrBee,

Sorry to hear about your break-in, but as you point out, these incidents are sadly on the rise everywhere in the Caribbean. Anchoring further out is always a good idea, as are audible alarm systems connected to the deck floods. Its another reason I am looking to install a waterproof aluminum companionway door with dogs - much more secure than what is fitted as standard equipment. In addition, I am installing a security bar on all of the larger hatch frames so that it would be impossible for anyone to climb through. It won't make me immune from theft/boardings, but it will certainly make my boat more difficult to enter and a much less attractive a target.

Brad
We've take a few steps... Our door I thought was vinyl, but its got a lot of aluminum inside and just a vinyl cover. We drove three big eyebolts (2 in door, 1 in frame) and now have a u lock on it. Its going to be MUCH harder to open now. Before it seems it was quite easy to pry, or even force open by hand. The previous owners lived on it for 3 years, so I assumed the door was reasonably secure, but it appears not... When locked I could pull it open if I give it a really strong shove. Not any more..

I have a camera system, but it takes too much power. Im thinking about getting a few mag switches and hook them to a relay, which then turn on cameras for recording and transmission back to our store which is within range of our boosted wifi and sector antenna... We've already run tests and can maintain or even reliably establish an on demand link to our commercial site.

Ive been looking at alarms too as its anchored where there are always at least 1 other boat, and usually 6-7.... But the boat alarms Ive seen are limited and expensive. I've seen one that looks nice and I see there is a distributor in St Martin... am checking with them now.
Old 01-04-2010, 19:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Yes very much so. Work and the kids school though limit us to weekends.. but we go pretty much every Sunday unless there isn't enough wind.... Which there was a spell of for a while.

Was going to go tomorrow, but the wind forecast changed from what it was earlier in the week and now there is next to none for Friday... 3 BIG ships in though, so guess Ill open the store and make some money instead.... So I can pay for all those things that are breaking on the boat... I need piston rings... and ropes... and.....
Old 01-04-2010, 21:34   #8

Boat: Stevens 47
While not condoning burglary or theft in any way how many boats have visited St Kitts in the past 12 months and then how many of those got broken into??

It is all too easy to sit at a computer and post reports like this but let's keep it in perspective.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
While not condoning burglary or theft in any way how many boats have visited St Kitts in the past 12 months and then how many of those got broken into??

It is all too easy to sit at a computer and post reports like this but let's keep it in perspective.
There was at least one other recently.

Hud and I were discussing the on land burglaries. Both he and I live here... and the last few months have been a free for all on land. Windsor students alone, since Jan reported 58 burglaries and assaults. There were 5 burglaries in Frigate Bay in less than a week. And these are just a few stats to consider...

Tags
St Kitts