Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30   #1

Bought a new boat for keys and bahamas... what do I need to know

Husband bought a 45 foot cruiser twin diesel, 500 gallon tanks, newest garmin and sonar with side transducers. Planning on snorkeling and using a submarine drone for treasure hunting. Where should we go and what should we look for or avoid? I'm most concerned about weather and what to look for when weather is concerned. What wind speeds should I be worried about when I hear they are approaching? Headed from delray beach mid November to end of December to keys and then bahamas. First time ever on a yacht on the ocean. Help is appreciated for educational purposes!
Wander007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Bought a new boat for keys and bahamas... what do I need to know

No help here for that situation ...... QUICK ..... Contact USPS
Old 03-11-2018, 09:04   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Welcome to Cruiser Forum.
I'm sure that you'll both have a great deal of fun with your new boat.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:06   #4

Boat: Whitby 42

The winter weather in Florida is pretty predictable with fronts rolling through. The wind is usually east, as fronts approach it Wil go clockwise through SE, S W then north when it passes. This can happen in a few hours to a few days depending in the speed of the front. As all will tell you don't get caught in the gulf stream in a north wind.I knew a couple that got really strong west winds going up Florida great sailing gulf stream pushing them north. Like clockwork after W came strong north and they got caught in 25 ft seas for a few days. I've done the crossing 4 times east and 4 west with no more than 5ft seas.but I have sat and waited weeks for a good weather window. Watch and learn the weather patterns. Go down to Marathon and you will have lots of company waiting to cross. Be smart and you will have the time of your life.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58   #5

Boat: Island Packet 350

This is mainly a sailing forum but folks would be glad to help if we knew a little more about your boat, i.e. draft? Mikeod shared some good info about the Gulfstream. Some specific questions would help.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:32   #6

Boat: Boatless

You are going to have ball. I’d skip the keys and go straight to the Bahamas.

Once you are onboard and settled in life takes on a different pace. Embrace it.

The fear is greater than the reality.

Yes, things will go wrong, there will be tough and scary times but they will pass.

You husband will be stressed at times and in those moments support him, encourage him, help him. He knows it’s his fault already, no need to remind him :-)

Learn your boat. The closer you are with her the less intimidating she becomes. Your attitude becomes her attitude.

These are months you will never forget, ever. The memories you make this very year you will be talking about for the rest of your lives, good and bad.

Enjoy.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27   #7

How right you are. Having sailed Lake Erie for years headed out to explore the ocean and the wonders of cruising both the Atlantic and Pacific. Learn as much as you can about your boat. Electrical, rigging, engine, water, anchor windless, radar, sonar, what ever you have do not be afraid to tackle it. Other boaters experienced the same problems you will endure and will be happy to help you out if you just ask.
Enjoy time on the boat as it was my best years and the memories will never leave you.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:45   #8

Similarly, more info about you and your husband's experience would help the answers be more useful. someone who has spent a lifetime around boats is a different student than someone who seldom finds themself more than 100 yards from a car. For instance, do you understand Mikeod's post and the science behind it?
The subjects of wind, weather, wave and how boats at sea react to them are complex. They can't be covered in a forum thread, or even in a single book. Consider a course and extensive reading.
Good Boating,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:39   #9

If you're worried about weather listen to Chris Parker in the AM. Most of the Bahamas cruisers I know subscribe to one of his services. I get his daily email and weather routing on demand. https://www.mwxc.com. Go to the Bahamas sooner than later. The good weather windows for crossing become less frequent as winter progresses. We try and get there early December. It's only 40-50 miles to Bimini from Miami.
Get an over sized anchor and around 100' of chain. It's almost all sand in the Bahamas - my Rocna works great there.
Watch out for cuts with tidal currents with opposing winds. We'll wait rather than take a cut with high opposing winds.
If you like solitude there is lots of that. We also enjoy the company of others so we enjoy Staniel Cay and Georgetown - Stocking Island is where 200-300 cruisers congregate each year.
If you're nervous about crossing then buddy up. There are usually a number of cruisers who are waiting for a calm weather window and they end up crossing together. Have fun. Cheers!
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wander.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:47   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

As mentioned above, more info about your boat would be helpful. As noted, info about weather and Gulf Stream is critical - but impacts different boats in significantly different ways. It takes us a full day to cross to the Bahamas in our 38’ sailboat - and good wind or a meaningful amount of dino-juice to get across and adjust for set of the Gulf Stream current (depending on point of departure from Florida and arival in Bahamas). If you have a trawler, you will get there a bit faster but will still be under way for a good portion of a day. If you have a powerful cruiser, you could make it across in 90 minutes - which can have significant Implications for selecting a weather window. Enjoy. Memories of a lifetime await you.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:13   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Another second for skipping the keys and heading for the Bahamas and another question about hubbies experience. If you are new to boating Hire A Captain! For a few weeks. There is a lot to learn that books cannot properly convey. Also consider a Coast Guard Auxillary or Power Squadron course. I have seen too many incidents caused by inexperienced operators!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:25   #13
Marine Service Provider

Welcome to the forum!
Even though it’s mainly sailing,cruising is cruising and living aboard is living aboard, sail or power.
While there are “a few” differences..
Check the Trawler Forum. Lots of good info from and about power boats.
Like here, great people, great advice always willing to answer and help!
Be safe and enjoy.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat