Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 17:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
The above observations seems to be clouding the waters. But if I understand you post correctly Arc, you want to go in at low tide (since the tide will be rising after dark) I think this will get you stuck, and if I were going to do it with a five foot draft, I would plan on going around it, and then coming through it on a rising- darn near high tide at a later time.
But you are talking to someone who did not make it through. Perhaps someone who transits this pass often could "clear this up" without going to the loo...
Sincerely,
Mark- who manages to find every sandbar in SW Florida..
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 18:48   #17

Boat: Freedom 32
We went through Boca Grande Pass last May. Many spots had several feet less water than the NOAA charts showed. I would not take the "shortcut" with my 5 foot draft in anything other than dead calm and at a crawl.

BTW, north of the pass Boca Grande harbor shows 7 feet at low tide. We went aground 1 hour after high tide in the middle of the channel. Without the BoatUS full coverage the bill would have been $1600.00.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:56   #18

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
As I mentioned before....it's fine for a first-timer, with good light, good conditions, and favorable tide (favorable being preferably towards the latter/slower end of incoming high...it does get pretty quick around the old pier when it's running strong...but at least you're headed the right direction) I know the area, transit it fairly often, and if my timing required that I arrive after dark (something I try to avoid as often as possible, especially when in unfamiliar waters) I would take the long way...and suggest you do the same. I don't know what date you're headed that way, but if there's a low tide shortly after dark as you mentioned, usually around here we have two tides a day, which means there's likely a high about 6 hours earlier that might be just about perfect. From the sounds of your plan, you're coming in with a couple hours to poke around before it starts rising? I would not consider that a very favorable tide. You'll be arriving on a falling tide, about mid-cycle...it will be running strong on the nose around the pier. Even if it's real flat out there, I'd call that a maybe at best.

As someone mentioned above, yes, you CAN get stuck 3 miles out. The shoals, especially on the N side, extend a long way out to sea. That's why the slough is so tempting. But if you go around and stay in the channel, you'll be fine. BGP is basically the deepest channel on the west coast of FL. On average deeper than NW Channel at Egmont even, and that's a true shipping channel into Tampa Bay. Once you're inside, you will be fine. I've run plenty of deep draft boats through there with no troubles..north and south sides. Outside ICW? Yep...birds walk around...inside...good shape.

Not sure where Rising star was exactly, but that's a new one to me in that area.

Good luck

Rob
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
We went through Boca Grande Pass last May. Many spots had several feet less water than the NOAA charts showed. I would not take the "shortcut" with my 5 foot draft in anything other than dead calm and at a crawl.

BTW, north of the pass Boca Grande harbor shows 7 feet at low tide. We went aground 1 hour after high tide in the middle of the channel. Without the BoatUS full coverage the bill would have been $1600.00.
We went through there in early May and there is a turn in the channel and a red marker was missing. Without that marker and/or noticing we would have easily left the channel and run out of water. Might have been the R8 between G7 and G9, not exactly sure.

Was that where you were?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 14:04   #20

Therapy,

We went aground just after the 90 degree turn to port. (26 44 885N 82 15 304W) I think it was green marker 7.

Once we went aground the high wind swung us bow first into a boat garage. With me pushing off the garage and my wife at the helm in full reverse we bounced along the bottom until sticking a few yards off the seawall.

Not one of our best cruising moments

After the storm passed it took half an hour for TowBoatUS to pull us free and another hour to tow us to Gasperilla where the rudder repair was $30 more than my deductible
Old 08-10-2009, 14:12   #21
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Last time by there I skipped going in and went to a spot at the south end of johnson shoal. There's a fairly deep inlet that runs almost right up to the beach at cayo costa. Surrounded by shallows was pretty calm. I chicken out every time I've looked at the shortcut.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 14:13   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
Therapy,

We went aground just after the 90 degree turn to port. (26 44 885N 82 15 304W) I think it was green marker 7.

Once we went aground the high wind swung us bow first into a boat garage. With me pushing off the garage and my wife at the helm in full reverse we bounced along the bottom until sticking a few yards off the seawall.

Not one of our best cruising moments

After the storm passed it took half an hour for TowBoatUS to pull us free and another hour to tow us to Gasperilla where the rudder repair was $30 more than my deductible
OUCH!

I don't remember anything around at G7 (at more like 26 46.xxx) like a boat house.
Old 08-10-2009, 14:34   #23

Therapy,

I see our confusion now. I was referring to G7 in the Boca Grande yacht basin, not the ICW G7 north of there, near Three Sisters and Devilfish Key.
Old 08-10-2009, 14:53   #24

OH!
---------
Old 08-10-2009, 15:11   #25

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
I was wondering if that's what you were talking about, Rising Star...Glad it was just the the boathouse you blew into and not the boat that goes in it if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Old 08-10-2009, 16:52   #26

Boat: Westsail 32
Hey all,

I live on Charlotte Harbor and we sail a W32 in the area. The small cut on the northwest side of Boca Grande Pass is navigable, but I DO NOT suggest taking this route in anything but mid-day light. As stated, you have to stay very close to the abandoned concrete pier, making sure to hug the shore at that distance all the way around into the harbor. It is not as wide as the chart (westsailrendezvous.jpg) indicates!

Also, if you decide to take the actual Boca Grande Pass inlet in, mind the tide. Neap ebbs can run close to two knots out the channel, and springs almost four! Couple that with the traditional North evening wind and it's a snobby trip in.

Pelican Bay is a wonderful little anchorage. Check out the photo I've attached of a satelite image of the area; as stated, you have to hug the north side of Cayo Costa as you enter, then follow the shore around until you're beside the docks. The the anchorage is 7-9 all around.

Best!
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelican Bay.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	10383   Click image for larger version

Name:	westsailrendezvous.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	10384  

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 18:18   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Well, sounds like an adventurous pass

We will be in that area at around 4pm Nov 3 or 4th. that day the tides show a rising tide for most of the day, then a slack in the afternoon (during the time that we would be there) and a continued rise to high tide for the day later in the evening. (if I looked at the correct tide charts)

I think that we will probably end up taking the long route this time around. We will have left our dock early, probably tired and the last thing I would want is to get stuck.

However, this will not be our last time in the area. So with favorable conditions and the info that you all provided I will eventually try out the pass and take notes. (or get stuck, and never want to do that again)

Thanks again
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 18:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
We will have left our dock early, probably tired and the last thing I would want is to get stuck.

However, this will not be our last time in the area. So with favorable conditions and the info that you all provided I will eventually try out the pass and take notes. (or get stuck, and never want to do that again)

Thanks again
That is what we did and while not stuck we bumped here and there and could not find a way in. Got to anchor pretty late.

Let us know.