Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 19:01   #16

Boat: departure 35
Re: Boats Seized for Traveling to Cuba ?

I can't wait till Cuba does open back up for us. I have been to Gitmo a bunch of times and believe me, you all have no idea how nice it is down there. The beaches are amazing compared to anything up here. Just watch out for those darn iguanas if you fall asleep! trust me.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 20:07   #17
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
Re: Boats Seized for Traveling to Cuba ?

Under Coast Guard you should have also listed that USCG personnel are by law Officers Of The Customs and have the same authority (and in some cases more) as US Customs. part of that is the authority to seize a vessel. But you do not seize a vessel without due cause. I had a vessel seized in 1977 (nothing to do with Cuba) and spent about 6 hours justifying it to our Chief legal Officer. Not a position a LTJG wants to be in.

Also, some people do get authorization to travel to Cuba (and spend money while there). One category is cultural exchanges. Another is agricultural exchanges. A dirty secret is that most of the food imported to Cuba comes from the US, and as a result agricultural exchanges are usually permitted. As was mentioned, families with relatives living in Cuba may now visit. There are some other exceptions to the ban. But the average Joe cannot just up and go without accepting the fact that if they are caught will be prosecuted. And if they go by boat it is possible that the vessel could be seized, although it is rare and I haven't heard about a a vessel being seized for many years. But I have heard of many people being fined for going to Cuba.

Tags
Cuba, cuba